Your team v Broncos

supercoach

Re: Your team v Broncos

Post by supercoach » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:52 am

I think he is a real talent and he will get a chance at some stage in the near future, but I also think his defence is what you would expect from a kid that has not played at NRL level. I have no doubt it will get better but at present it is the weakest aspect of his game.. and yes I saw both reserve grade games and a couple of the trial games to form my opinion.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 11:39 am

Gamble won't be anywhere near the team unless an injury to Brooks or Marshall occurs in the next couple of weeks. Reynolds is back in Round 5, maybe even earlier, and he'll just be put further down the pecking order. And don't mention bench utility, he won't get a crack there either.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm

This will be a very tough game, hopefully we get a huge turnout and the boys put on another great display.

A win would be nice, my room mate has been giving it to me all preseason about this game but he seems a bit nervous now.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:05 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:18 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:44 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:50 am
supercoach wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 5:55 pm

Good player but defensively he has issues at this stage

That's a load of rubbish lol
Have a look at the weekend ISP highlights - then tell me it is still rubbish.
Its still rubbish.

All it is is the guy has created some hype so a few people tuned in during a free to air game to check him out. The see him make a bad read on Cogger i think it was and are now all have their talent scout hats on calling him a liability in defense.

Nah sorry ill judge him on more than one game thanks. The kid is close to 100kg and has a shoulder. Ive seen him drill people with it. Whats more he is a very quick study and has the right attitude.

Of course he has some things to work on but its just forum and social media rubbish to suggest that we have now discovered a flaw in his game.
Up until last weekend I was only worried about him handling the pressure of the NRL. Yes, it was one game I mentioned (the others I have seen, he tackled reasonably well), the problem was he had two feeble attempts at tackle and the opposition scored.
That is not good enough - I think he will be a very good player for us and yes he does have things to work on. That is what I am saying and one of them is defence. He is very good one on one (same as Kev) but when it's not.....
He needs more time in ISP - I mean what is the rush, that everyone wants him in the top grade yesterday.
Are they trying to cruel him?

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:18 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:05 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:18 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:44 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:50 am

That's a load of rubbish lol
Have a look at the weekend ISP highlights - then tell me it is still rubbish.
Its still rubbish.

All it is is the guy has created some hype so a few people tuned in during a free to air game to check him out. The see him make a bad read on Cogger i think it was and are now all have their talent scout hats on calling him a liability in defense.

Nah sorry ill judge him on more than one game thanks. The kid is close to 100kg and has a shoulder. Ive seen him drill people with it. Whats more he is a very quick study and has the right attitude.

Of course he has some things to work on but its just forum and social media rubbish to suggest that we have now discovered a flaw in his game.
Up until last weekend I was only worried about him handling the pressure of the NRL. Yes, it was one game I mentioned (the others I have seen, he tackled reasonably well), the problem was he had two feeble attempts at tackle and the opposition scored.
That is not good enough - I think he will be a very good player for us and yes he does have things to work on. That is what I am saying and one of them is defence. He is very good one on one (same as Kev) but when it's not.....
He needs more time in ISP - I mean what is the rush, that everyone wants him in the top grade yesterday.
Are they trying to cruel him?
I don't think anyone wants to rush him. Should be introduced mid season if going well.

But until I see week after defensive misses then I'm not about to jump to this conclusion he has defensive issues. Seen absolutely no sign of it other than last week.

All players miss tackles.
Its an opinion!

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:50 pm

Russell

It's still rubbish.

Last year, Gamble and Brodie Croft were playing against each other in the Queensland Cup. One for Redcliffe and the other for Easts. Please tell me how Croft performed on the weekend? Not to good I must say and golden boy Munster did not do too well either. Ask Bellamy if he will drop Croft and Munster because has some deficiencies. There are a number of other young players in the comp who are developing as NRL players. Gamble has already been noticed in the ISC after only two games - by Hodgo, Ivan, Gallen, Joel Caine's mention of the Sunday Footy Show , and Fittler's response on the Show as well will mean others will take note. Yes, Gamble is willing to wait, and he is pretty loyal, but the real question is whether other clubs will let him and the Tigers wait. I suggest the answer might be 'no'. Anyway the question of when he is ready will be made by Ivan and his coaching staff and not by commetns on this forum. But lets not forget family and friends live in Brisbane and so far the Nikorima is not performing too well. Somehow I have a feeling that he will not be around for the duration of his contract.

After the Cup match on Saturday I searched the other clubs and could not believe how many good players the Tigers have lost just over the last few years. I do hope that Ivan changes that stop the talent drain. And I do hope that Gamble stays on.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:13 pm

Just one more point. This whole thing about doing time and learning in the Cup is also rubbish. It is very obvious that the standards of the two competitions of the Queensland and NSW Cups are very different. The NRL teams with Queensland Cup feeders, namely the Queensland teams plus the Storm, feel confident enough to take a player from the Cup and put him immediately in an NRL team - just look at the recent example of Brodie Croft for the Storm - that is how highly they regard, not only the competition, but also the coaching and mentoring. Gamble is a product of the Queensland system and played under a very experienced and talented coach in Adam Mogg, I believe he is ready and I'll say it again Ivan pinched him from under Uncle Wayne's nose.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:16 pm

Gamble will get his chance at some point this season and at that point it will be up to him to keep himself in the team. I hope it will be alongside Benji as they have played together last year in QCUP.

No point rushing the young man, he has the talent and will get the plenty of opportunity's over the next 2 seasons.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:17 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:50 pm
Russell

It's still rubbish.

Last year, Gamble and Brodie Croft were playing against each other in the Queensland Cup. One for Redcliffe and the other for Easts. Please tell me how Croft performed on the weekend? Not to good I must say and golden boy Munster did not do too well either. Ask Bellamy if he will drop Croft and Munster because has some deficiencies. There are a number of other young players in the comp who are developing as NRL players. Gamble has already been noticed in the ISC after only two games - by Hodgo, Ivan, Gallen, Joel Caine's mention of the Sunday Footy Show , and Fittler's response on the Show as well will mean others will take note. Yes, Gamble is willing to wait, and he is pretty loyal, but the real question is whether other clubs will let him and the Tigers wait. I suggest the answer might be 'no'. Anyway the question of when he is ready will be made by Ivan and his coaching staff and not by commetns on this forum. But lets not forget family and friends live in Brisbane and so far the Nikorima is not performing too well. Somehow I have a feeling that he will not be around for the duration of his contract.

After the Cup match on Saturday I searched the other clubs and could not believe how many good players the Tigers have lost just over the last few years. I do hope that Ivan changes that stop the talent drain. And I do hope that Gamble stays on.
Before I answer I will say that their is little point arguing with you over Gamble - you are his number one fan, We know that.

However - i think we should keep him at all reasonable costs (I am on your side to a point). It is one thing for Croft to come into the Melbourne Storm - it is another for Gamble to come into the Wests Tigers....different kettle of fish. In my opinion, he is not ready and should work on his game in ISP until he is. Give him a little pay rise maybe but do not compromise the NRL team just so he doesn't leave. If he is so unappreciative that he would want to go, after we give him a go - then so be it (I don't think he is that sort of a guy really). He may be another Koro or Jac and shove it in your face but I don't think so, and if he did, I think it would be to his own detriment. I also hope he stays.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:13 pm
Just one more point. This whole thing about doing time and learning in the Cup is also rubbish. It is very obvious that the standards of the two competitions of the Queensland and NSW Cups are very different. The NRL teams with Queensland Cup feeders, namely the Queensland teams plus the Storm, feel confident enough to take a player from the Cup and put him immediately in an NRL team - just look at the recent example of Brodie Croft for the Storm - that is how highly they regard, not only the competition, but also the coaching and mentoring. Gamble is a product of the Queensland system and played under a very experienced and talented coach in Adam Mogg, I believe he is ready and I'll say it again Ivan pinched him from under Uncle Wayne's nose.
I doubt he will learn anything or get any better playing NSW Cup.

He should finish his apprenticeship in the NRL, and once we are settled into a week to week grind, Cleary should bring him up.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 4:10 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm
FreddyK wrote:

He should finish his apprenticeship in the NRL, and once we are settled into a week to week grind, Cleary should bring him up.
Good point.

Settled in a week to week grind is the key to the whole discusion.

Will have zero to do with imaginary defecincies and all to do with the team being in the right place.

Only chance of an earlier call up is if we continue to struggle in attack. The kid makes plans and scored points.
Its an opinion!

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 4:22 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:58 pm
kh_canada wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 5:54 pm
I'd like to see Kev dropped, but who do we have to take his place? :(
Funua. Better in attack and offloads. Must be there shortly. Please don't go on about dropping bombs etc. Everyone does, including Slater et al. He played well in reserve grade in both weeks.

In saying that, I thought Kevin did play ok the other night.
Excuse my ignorance, but is Fonua a centre? I thought he was a winger, but even if he is, does he have the ability to make the shift to centre and do a better job?
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 4:25 pm

He will get his chance when Ivan is ready. While ever the team is winning it will be hard to force changes. Injuries is generally the way most unproven get a start.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 4:29 pm

I have not watched Gamble play.

However from what I read on the forum in patches he seems like the next Brad Fittler.

I hope they are even a quarter right.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:10 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 4:10 pm
Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm
FreddyK wrote:

Good point.

Settled in a week to week grind is the key to the whole discusion.

Will have zero to do with imaginary defecincies and all to do with the team being in the right place.

Only chance of an earlier call up is if we continue to struggle in attack. The kid makes plans and scored points.
Most young blokes can’t handle regular week to week first grade at first. The best coaches give them a few weeks of it then send them back to reggies. There have been some young guys who have managed first grade but not many.

That Pongia kid had a taste of first grade at Cowboys now Newcastle have him at fullback and he’s their kicker to boot. Let’s see how he handles it.

Back to Gamble, I think Ivan will give him a taste of first grade mid season if his form keeps up
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:23 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:46 pm
Mass changes needed Brooks out Lawrence out Nofoaluma out Nsiqama out Rochow out Godinet out Twal out McIlwrick out
For dinner?

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:27 pm

Broncos supporters are very confident looking at their forum, not as bad as the roosters in round 1. A few of them are afraid to get in the grind but most seem to think they will win by a big margin.

Apparently our wins were mostly flukes and getting the 50/50 calls in our favor. :roll

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:34 pm

ku5tom wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:27 pm
Broncos supporters are very confident looking at their forum, not as bad as the roosters in round 1. A few of them are afraid to get in the grind but most seem to think they will win by a big margin.

Apparently our wins were mostly flukes and getting the 50/50 calls in our favor. :roll
Lol if it wasn't for the goalpost they would be 0-2. Our pack will more than hold their own against the Broncos.