Tigers v Broncos: Elijah out, Opacic in centres

willow

Post by willow » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:22 pm

Author NRL.com Timestamp Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:46 PM

After getting their season back on track with a victory against North Queensland, the Brisbane Broncos will take on the Wests Tigers in what proves to be an entertaining round three clash.

The Broncos found their attacking mojo last week but will need it to get past a Tigers side that has showed tremendous defensive focus in the past two weeks to hold the highly-rated Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm to a single try each.

The hosts are still finding their own identity given the mass overhaul their roster underwent prior to the season but couldn't have wished for a better start to the year than two surprise wins.

They will want to avoid a repeat of the last clash between the two sides; one that ended 36-0 in favour of the Broncos.

Wests Tigers: 1 Corey Thompson, 2 David Nofoaluma, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Kevin Naiqama, 5 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 6 Benji Marshall (c), 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Russell Packer, 9 Pita Godinet, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth

Interchange: 14 Matt McIlwrick 15 Alex Twal, 16 Michael Chee Kam, 17 Josh Aloiai

Reserves: 18 Tyson Gamble, 19 Sauaso Sue, 20 Tim Grant, 21 Taane Milne

Elijah Taylor is out with Matt Eisenhuth starting at lock and Michael Chee Kam on the bench. The side is otherwise unchanged meaning fullback Corey Thompson and David Nofoaluma hold their spots with Tuimoala Lolohea not yet back.

Broncos: 1 Darius Boyd (c), 2 Corey Oates, 3 James Roberts, 4 Tom Opacic, 5 Jamayne Isaako, 6 Anthony Milford, 7 Kodi Nikorima, 8 Matthew Lodge, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Tevita Pangai Jnr, 11 Alex Glenn, 12 Matt Gillett, 13 Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14 Sam Thaiday, 15 Joe Ofahengaue, 16 Korbin Sims, 17 Jaydn Su'A

Reserves: 18 Sam Tagataese, 19 Jack Bird, 20 Jonus Pearson, 21 Todd Murphy

Tom Opacic moves from the bench to starting centre for Jordan Kahu (broken jaw) with Jaydn Su'A joining the bench. Centre Jack Bird has been named in the reserves as he looks to return from off-season shoulder surgery.

Wests Tigers v Brisbane Broncos, Friday 8.05pm AEDT at Camperdown Stadium

Head-to-head: 26 games, Broncos 20 wins, Wests Tigers 5 wins, 1 draw

Matches at venue: 7 games; Broncos 6 wins, 1 draw

Last five head-to-head: Broncos 4 wins; Wests Tigers 1 wins

2017 result: Broncos win 36-0 at Suncorp Stadium

Points per game: Wests Tigers 10; Broncos 18

Points conceded per game: Wests Tigers 8; Broncos 27

Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:35 pm

That is a terrible record at campbelltown against the broncs 7 games for 0 wins.Lets hope that things improve on friday.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 11:34 am

How have we only won 5 games against the Broncos? That must be our worst record out of all the teams.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

wt01

Post by wt01 » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 11:59 am

this was on the NSWRL site:

mahe fonua in the team of the wk:

2 – MAHE FONUA
CLUB: WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 1.
One try, 218 total metres, seven tackle-breaks, four offloads.
Official Member of:
- The Michael Chee-Kam Fan Club
- The Mahe Fonua Fan Club

President of the Combined Luke Brooks and Corey Thompson 2018 Fan Club

+ Marshall's Magic :righton:

wt01

Post by wt01 » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:00 pm

Grant Ponders NRL Future
Author Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen) Timestamp Sat 17 Mar 2018, 05:14 PM

Former NSW Origin prop Tim Grant believes the curtain has not drawn on his NRL career and is determined to play first-grade football – whether at the Wests Tigers or another club.

Fresh off a strong performance in the Western Suburbs Magpies’ second win of the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW season, Grant, who scored a try in his team’s 34-22 victory, believes his form is as good now as it’s ever been.

“I just turned 30, I’ve got this year left at the Tigers, and my body feels the best it’s ever been. I’ve played 80 games straight now so I’m feeling good,” Grant, who played two Origin matches for NSW in 2012, tells NSWRL.com.au.

“They’re pretty rare (tries), but it’s good to get over the line and get a good hit-out with the boys and blow the cobwebs out for the year.

“Hopefully this year with the Tigers but moving forward if it’s not at the Tigers it’s somewhere else. I know myself I’ve got a lot to offer and I hope someone else sees that as well.”

Grant was selected in the Wests Tigers’ 21-man NRL squad for the Round 1 clash with the Roosters, but never took the field. He insists playing in the Intrust Super Premiership is a strong challenge, and reflective of the competition at the club.

“[Intrust Super Premiership] is a good platform not just for the older guys to get some game time but for the younger guys to prove themselves as well… it’s a good competition and it’s part of the game,” Grant, who started at Penrith before moving to South Sydney and eventually linking with Wests Tigers, says.

“I think depth, the amount of off-season signings we made, we were one of the most active clubs, and there are only 17 players selected in the NRL each week but there are 30 in our squad, and there are 30 genuine first-graders. The filtration goes back to ISP and I think that’s the key – personnel.”

Grant, however, knows that competition for spots comes with a kicker. That’s why he’s open to future opportunities elsewhere.

“Rugby League’s a business now, that’s my passion and I love what I do, and I’d love to get an opportunity at the Tigers but moving forward if that’s not there and they want to invest in younger guys I’m happy to go anywhere in the NRL,” he says.

“I love the game, I love everything about it. I’ve been to a few different clubs now and there are good people at every club and a change of clubs, you don't miss out on anything moving [to a new club], your network broadens. If it’s at the Tigers or if it’s somewhere else I’ll be playing on.

“To be honest I feel like my trial form in the NRL is up there with some of the best football I’ve played.

“I never put a time on [career length], but I’m ready to go, my body’s right and I’m playing my best footy – just looking for that opportunity.”
Official Member of:
- The Michael Chee-Kam Fan Club
- The Mahe Fonua Fan Club

President of the Combined Luke Brooks and Corey Thompson 2018 Fan Club

+ Marshall's Magic :righton:

Juro

Post by Juro » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:17 pm

Tacky wrote:
Wed 21 Mar, 2018 11:34 am
How have we only won 5 games against the Broncos? That must be our worst record out of all the teams.
The bottom 3 teams we always struggle against are:
3. Storm: 11 wins, 0 draws, 19 losses (37%)
2. Roosters: 9 wins, 0 draws, 22 losses (29%)
1. Broncos: 5 wins, 1 draw, 20 losses (21%)

What a start to the season...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm

Juro wrote:
Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:17 pm
Tacky wrote:

Easts are a real shocker. I know over 100 year Maggie's only won 1 in 3 which is unusual. Don't think Balmain done much better. And their is the 2010 semi.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 4:27 pm

Just like the Rorters we are due...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 5:26 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm
Juro wrote:
Wed 21 Mar, 2018 12:17 pm
Tacky wrote:

Easts are a real shocker. I know over 100 year Maggie's only won 1 in 3 which is unusual. Don't think Balmain done much better. And their is the 2010 semi.
Before the NRL was established, ie the NSW RFL, the Balmain Tigers had won 51% Lost 45% and Drawn 4% of games.