OK let's be honest now

•  Recent Topics
TIGER

OK let's be honest now

Post by TIGER » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:03 am

Yes it was a tough call to say the least and yes we're brave and our defensive efforts are like nothing we've seen.

But............. Our attack in general and our inability to score points is a massive concern.

We were an absolute shambles at times tonight with the ball, it wasn't just a comedy of errors at one point, it was a whole comedy festival.

Anf If anyone thinks that Reynolds and Tui are going to change things attack wise they're deluded afraid.
I think it's easy to overlook our problems because our defence is so good, but our offence is a real issue.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:14 am

TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:03 am
Yes it was a tough call to say the least and yes we're brave and our defensive efforts are like nothing we've seen.

But............. Our attack in general and our inability to score points is a massive concern.

We were an absolute shambles at times tonight with the ball, it wasn't just a comedy of errors at one point, it was a whole comedy festival.

Anf If anyone thinks that Reynolds and Tui are going to change things attack wise they're deluded afraid.
I think it's easy to overlook our problems because our defence is so good, but our offence is a real issue.
You left out Liddle

We were missing a lot of players who are important in our attack

Tui , Reynolds , Liddle and Taylor

You can't really comment until we field our best side

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:19 am

3 tries in 3 games is a massive concern. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. And if you want to get real picky, the 3 tries we have scored all have had a slice of luck about them. Reynolds is a street fighter who is as tenacious as they come. But cand he improve the attack that much? I don’t know.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:24 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:19 am
3 tries in 3 games is a massive concern. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. And if you want to get real picky, the 3 tries we have scored all have had a slice of luck about them. Reynolds is a street fighter who is as tenacious as they come. But cand he improve the attack that much? I don’t know.
Until the best side plays together how do we really know

When they do and then if we are struggling , yes agree 100 % GNR

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:36 am

The style we are currently playing is working for us
If a few more passes stick or the bounce goes the right way We will score more points
The season is early
Our guys haven't played that much footy together
Our attack will get better
I am real happy with our defence
Rome wasn't built in a day

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:02 am

For years we've wanted to be competitive. Now we're competitive and apparently it's not good enough. Let's enjoy the process. We've waited years for this attitude to be developed. Let's watch things unfold as the coach has planned and appreciate the effort

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:06 am

Our attack is always going to struggle as we are a very slow side compared to most teams. Although getting our no1 spine back may help

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:06 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:36 am
The style we are currently playing is working for us
If a few more passes stick or the bounce goes the right way We will score more points
The season is early
Our guys haven't played that much footy together
Our attack will get better
I am real happy with our defence
Rome wasn't built in a day
Yep.

You win sports by scoring more points than the other team. How many you score is irrelevant if the opposition has less after 80 minutes.

Grind a win, win with flair - it's still 2 points either way.

I think Benji reverted to the bad old days a bit last night and stifled things. Brooks did okay when he had the chance and I think the attack will actually improve with Reynolds replacing Marshall.

It was ugly last night but I am so happy to see the tiges being aggressive, competing for 80 and never out of it.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:08 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:02 am
For years we've wanted to be competitive. Now we're competitive and apparently it's not good enough. Let's enjoy the process. We've waited years for this attitude to be developed. Let's watch things unfold as the coach has planned and appreciate the effort
My thoughts as well. ☺️

Man, I am really excited this year.

Bengaliwolf

Post by Bengaliwolf » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:24 am

Our defence is like nothing we've ever seen from the Tigers and everyone in the rugby league community is taking notice. Last years top 3 have struggled to get over the line against us. Do you think our attack is really going to matter this year? I can't wait to see what we do against the Eels.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:24 am

I just don't get these threads right now.

We are defending like a Top 4 side, defending against literally the Top 3 sides from 2017, conceding only 2 tries in 240 minutes, but the attack is apparently a massive issue. Are you giving any thought to how much effort / energy is being spent in making this defence happen and how the attack might be somewhat relegated?

We literally undergo an amazing transformation in 3 months from brittle side to amazingly tough side, and you take that with open arms, then complain that the attack isn't threatening enough. The attack against the Top 3 sides!!!!

Two better bounces of the ball and Corey Thompson scores of kicks twice. A little bit better handling and maybe Aloiai and Lawrence break the line also.

It wasn't pretty last night but I've watched a lot of sides play ugly football in the first 3 rounds, and Roosters, Storm and Broncos also struggled in attack against us.

Let's at least play one of the lesser defending sides before we wrist-slit over the current non-first-choice combination of Thompson-Benji-Brooks-McIlwrick. Not even Liddle or Tui or Reynolds in the side, who we would have started if we had the choice.

AND

We have 90 seconds to go, down by 1, we win a short kickoff, move to the posts and slot an equaliser, in literally 90 seconds... when has a Tigers attack ever had such composure? When have the Tigers defended against the best sides for 80 mins then hold composure, 3 weeks running, to take the winning or equalising play at the death?

I don't recognise this side at all, but it's the best team I've seen run out for us since 2011. They don't attack like 2011 but we just don't have that cattle. They also don't defend like 2011, which was part of the reason we didn't make the GF either of those years.

Madness, we've not even been headed at FT in 3 weeks.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:29 am

There are some crazy stats. We’ve conceded two tries in 3 games. Any team would be ecstatic about that. Not only that but Brisbane didn’t really look like scoring.

But to only score three ourselves is dire. if this is ‘confident’ Brooks and Marshall turning the clock back, as the media have portrayed it, I don’t want to see what their bad form will look like.
One of my sources is Pascoe

notarealtiger

Post by notarealtiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:29 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Strongly agree with this. While our attack is definitely an issue, it was always going to be because of how many new blokes we've got at the club. I still believe it's going to work itself out, and I'm happy to wait for that. Although it's a different story if it still looks like this in 5 or 6 more rounds.

But how long have we waited for a team with defensive resolve? I don't think I've ever seen the Tigers defend like that 3 games in a row. And they did it against 3 of the best teams in the competition!
Last edited by notarealtiger on Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:30 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
For years I've wanted inspirational and attacking defense like we are seeing now, and I'm rapt with it.
"A good defense is the basis for most successful premiership campaigns" - quote P. Sterling.

It's frustrating though seeing us go from champs to chumps with the turnover of possession... The adrenaline was flowing last night for me but it's clear with:
A/ our lack of pace
B/ so many new faces
C/ the obvious focus on fitness and defense over summer...
... We are going to have to be patient with the attack, the good thing is it can and will come with hard work, practice & confidence (just look at Brooks for example)
The way we are defending does nothing but I still confidence.
As someone else said... Great to be a Wests Tigers supporter again

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:35 am

We still have JRey, Lids, ET and Tui to come back. Benji is a defensive 5/8, he really doesn't offer much in attack. I think it's pretty clear he'll go back to the bench when JRey is fit. Hopefully they'll all be back this week.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:43 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:24 am
I just don't get these threads right now.

We are defending like a Top 4 side, defending against literally the Top 3 sides from 2017, conceding only 2 tries in 240 minutes, but the attack is apparently a massive issue. Are you giving any thought to how much effort / energy is being spent in making this defence happen and how the attack might be somewhat relegated?

We literally undergo an amazing transformation in 3 months from brittle side to amazingly tough side, and you take that with open arms, then complain that the attack isn't threatening enough. The attack against the Top 3 sides!!!!

Two better bounces of the ball and Corey Thompson scores of kicks twice. A little bit better handling and maybe Aloiai and Lawrence break the line also.

It wasn't pretty last night but I've watched a lot of sides play ugly football in the first 3 rounds, and Roosters, Storm and Broncos also struggled in attack against us.

Let's at least play one of the lesser defending sides before we wrist-slit over the current non-first-choice combination of Thompson-Benji-Brooks-McIlwrick. Not even Liddle or Tui or Reynolds in the side, who we would have started if we had the choice.

AND

We have 90 seconds to go, down by 1, we win a short kickoff, move to the posts and slot an equaliser, in literally 90 seconds... when has a Tigers attack ever had such composure? When have the Tigers defended against the best sides for 80 mins then hold composure, 3 weeks running, to take the winning or equalising play at the death?

I don't recognise this side at all, but it's the best team I've seen run out for us since 2011. They don't attack like 2011 but we just don't have that cattle. They also don't defend like 2011, which was part of the reason we didn't make the GF either of those years.

Madness, we've not even been headed at FT in 3 weeks.
+1

and saved a heap of typing..you are right...I think a lot are stuck in the Wests Tigers we'll score more mantra..

Attacking with defence has been my dream as a Wests Tigers fan for years..I have seen that 3 weeks running...could not be more happier...We will win more than we lose as that continues...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:43 am

It's true that the Tigers attack is pedestrian at best and it's also true that if they had a just a little more effectiveness in offense they would have won all three of their matches comfortably. However, the reality is that we really don't have the cattle to be an attacking machine at the moment and we have to play to our new found strength - defense. Kudos to Cleary for building outstanding defensive systems and for developing the culture where all players buy in and quite literally put their bodies on the line.
Last edited by stevied on Sat 24 Mar, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:46 am

If our defence stays rock solid and we get our attack sorted, 16 to 20 points a game will be enough to win most games