Your side to take on the Eels

Nucky Thompson

Re: Your side to take on the Eels

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:27 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 2:26 pm
Even before the season started I thought our key weaknesses were pretty obvious - D/H, one quality secondrower and one centre, speed on the wing and a goal kicker. These are still the shortcomings of our squad and hopefully we will move to address these down the track. In the meantime we need to get Liddle back and test him out one way or another - if that doesn't work I think MM has earnt the spot over Godinet and we need to stop running them both and taking up bench space. We must do something about goal kicking urgently.
As for wing and centre - neither Milne or Fonua have shown enough to take away spots from Kev or MWZ/Noffa. As for the back row - once again the other options of McQueen or Sue are not playing well enough to oust Lawrence from the 17 who will remain there at least whilst ET is injured. Aloiai or MCK should probably start however with Lawrence back to the bench playing less minutes.
Totally agree with u. If the squad want to get serious. We need a faster winger and centre. Since we playing a forwards game we cannot carry two average dummy halves so and 80 minute dummy half would be good. . Also a man short in second row.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:27 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Even before the season started I thought our key weaknesses were pretty obvious - D/H, one quality secondrower and one centre, speed on the wing and a goal kicker. These are still the shortcomings of our squad and hopefully we will move to address these down the track. In the meantime we need to get Liddle back and test him out one way or another - if that doesn't work I think MM has earnt the spot over Godinet and we need to stop running them both and taking up bench space. We must do something about goal kicking urgently.
As for wing and centre - neither Milne or Fonua have shown enough to take away spots from Kev or MWZ/Noffa. As for the back row - once again the other options of McQueen or Sue are not playing well enough to oust Lawrence from the 17 who will remain there at least whilst ET is injured. Aloiai or MCK should probably start however with Lawrence back to the bench playing less minutes.
Totally agree with u. If the squad want to get serious. We need a faster winger and centre. Since we playing a forwards game we cannot carry two average dummy halves so and 80 minute dummy half would be good. . Also a man short in second row.
We aren't going to have an 80 minute dummy half for a long time. Yes it'd be great but it's a tough position and we have a junior player and two journeyman that fill the role in our team. Maybe Liddle will be able to fill that role at some point or we could play Reynolds there for periods of the game but we aren't going to be able to have 4 forwards on the bench for a while. I can't see it happening this season or even in the next couple of seasons.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 2:40 pm

Earl wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
TigerSJ wrote:
We aren't going to have an 80 minute dummy half for a long time. Yes it'd be great but it's a tough position and we have a junior player and two journeyman that fill the role in our team. Maybe Liddle will be able to fill that role at some point or we could play Reynolds there for periods of the game but we aren't going to be able to have 4 forwards on the bench for a while. I can't see it happening this season or even in the next couple of seasons.
Wait a minute - your telling us that is going to take a whole season for Liddle to be able to play 80 minutes.

Think your underestimating him a little bit.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 3:19 pm

Russell wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 2:40 pm
Earl wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:
TigerSJ wrote:
Wait a minute - your telling us that is going to take a whole season for Liddle to be able to play 80 minutes.

The biggest question mark for liddle is if his body can handle it wihout getting injured.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:14 pm

Russell wrote:
Earl wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:
TigerSJ wrote:

There aren't too many 80 minute dummy halves in the game. I don't expect Liddle to be playing 80 minutes per game regularly for a couple of seasons or if ever.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:28 pm

Earl wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:14 pm
Russell wrote:
Earl wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:

There aren't too many 80 minute dummy halves in the game. I don't expect Liddle to be playing 80 minutes per game regularly for a couple of seasons or if ever.
I reckon Jacob can get through full games after half a dozen or so back, but not sure that it would suit our knock em down, drag em out approach and scramble for each other mantra that WT are currently employing.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:28 pm
Earl wrote:
Russell wrote:
Earl wrote:

I reckon Jacob can get through full games after half a dozen or so back, but not sure that it would suit our knock em down, drag em out approach and scramble for each other mantra that WT are currently employing.
I think Ivan is going to use Reynolds to play at hooker throughout the season. I'm not sure it will work but it will allow us to carry Benji or Reynolds on the bench.

I have no issues with 2 dummy halves but I'm not sure if Reynolds is the right player for that role.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 7:41 pm

Earl wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm
formerguest wrote:
Earl wrote:
Russell wrote:

I think Ivan is going to use Reynolds to play at hooker throughout the season. I'm not sure it will work but it will allow us to carry Benji or Reynolds on the bench.

I have no issues with 2 dummy halves but I'm not sure if Reynolds is the right player for that role.
Reynolds wasn't great at DH in the trial games. He seemed slow to get into position. Since then he has been nursing a leg injury. I hope he can pick up the fundamentals over the next year or so. Because he could be a real threat from there.
in Ivan we distrust

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:11 pm

Really hope Lolo starts at fullback and sparks something for our attack
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:21 am

Earl wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm
formerguest wrote:
Earl wrote:
Russell wrote:

At Penrith they looked at Josh Mansour and went, your a winger. Stay a winger.
Jamal Idris, a known athlete but not Rugby league savvy. Should have stayed a winger, but they put the big unit up front. Now he has retired.

Likewise, we try Reynolds at hooker, if it worked. Great, but it did not work.
Reynolds is physically tough and has a fair bit of mongrel in him. But he is a ball runner and not known for his passing. Putting Reynolds in at hooker is like putting Robbie Farah at hooker. You get a ball Hog who doesn't let their halves do their thing.

Try Reynolds again but if it does not click work with the Hookers we have. McIllwick for muscle and grit with Liddle for flair. My view is Reynolds makes a great Center, he has grit, good running speed and if he is paired with a winger he trusts he could develop one or two passing options. i.e. Justin Hodges, SKD style. Hooker is a greater physical strain and I don't think he has the motor for hooker at 80 min.