Footy Flashback: 2009 Rd 24 Tigers v Eels

jirskyr

Footy Flashback: 2009 Rd 24 Tigers v Eels

Post by jirskyr » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:09 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/28/foo ... rs-v-eels/

NRL posted this the other day, painful game (IIRC also the match Tuiaki snapped his ankle?). Interesting to watch however how good our attack was, not that Parramatta were slouches either, just terrific passing out in front, players pushing forward, providing options, class like young Benji, Farah, Ellis.

And yet that side came 9th in 2009. That Eels win put them 1 pt ahead of us, then Eels go on to make the GF.

Was just wondering how people feel today, Round 4 and Tigers still have the best defensive record in the comp, despite the 20 from Parra. It might not keep up to that level, but at the very least we are unlikely to end up one of the worst defensive sides by year's end.

We are clearly light years from some of those terrific attacking Tigers sides, yet those same sides around 2009 failed when it counted most.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:33 pm

Your last paragraph is why I was a bit deflated today. It was the first time we showed signs of the old Tiger's attitude, that outscoring the opposition would come from trying to force plays, instead of grinding them down and shutting them out. I don't want the effort to go into attack if it leaves you gassed and short of numbers in defence. The Auva'a try was the type of thing that I hoped we had gotten rid of.

Nonetheless, we did enough to win, and take the historical context away and I would have been delighted with today following on from last week. I still believe we have turned the corner, and I think as a team we will continue to improve as long as we take the shortcomings of performances like this and make them the areas we seek to improve.

krayola

Post by krayola » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:36 pm

That game is probably my favourite Tigers match despite the loss. The atmosphere was amazing that night. Not that often Sydney gets behind a sporting event like they did that night.

Seems like we've played to our opponents level, for better or for worse, for periods of every game. To be expected as we're still in the early stages of developing an identity.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:52 pm

krayola wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:36 pm
That game is probably my favourite Tigers match despite the loss. The atmosphere was amazing that night. Not that often Sydney gets behind a sporting event like they did that night.

Seems like we've played to our opponents level, for better or for worse, for periods of every game. To be expected as we're still in the early stages of developing an identity.
If Taniela and Ryan didn't get hurt that night forcing Morris into the centre's where Inu beat him on the outside twice for tries and we were in the GF.
Was a match at the highest level.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 3:42 am

Benjis try(for Ayshford)is the greatest try I have ever seen.

The crowd went mental!!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 5:02 am

Defense wins you premierships.

I had been critical somewhat of our lack of attack up until yesterday, but it is the way to go...we must get the defense right first...the attack will come

Id rather win ugly than lose flashy

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 6:26 am

That match killed our season. The way we were playing, if we had made it, we’d have caused a bit of damage.