What to do with Grubby?

GNR4LIFE

Re: What to do with Grubby?

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:41 am

4th best hooker? He's behind Godinet? You're having a laugh, surely.

I got no problem with him being on the bench, it's not like we are spoiled for choices in the utility position. 5 wins out of 6. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:43 am

king sirro wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:31 am
5/8 for Benji. Benji has done a great job, but his last 3 games have been poor. Yesterday he at least mixed in some really good stuff with his bad, but there is still too much bad play from him. Reynolds at 6 for me.
Benji was brilliant yesterday. Came up with the big plays when needed and a perfect foil for brooks. Ivan will work it out.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:59 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:43 am
king sirro wrote:
5/8 for Benji. Benji has done a great job, but his last 3 games have been poor. Yesterday he at least mixed in some really good stuff with his bad, but there is still too much bad play from him. Reynolds at 6 for me.
Benji was brilliant yesterday. Came up with the big plays when needed and a perfect foil for brooks. Ivan will work it out.
He was rocks and diamonds. Certainly not a brilliant game.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

stevied

Post by stevied » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:00 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:43 am
king sirro wrote:
I agree, he was brilliant yesterday. Ordinary in the previous two but great yesterday.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:02 am

Sco77y wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:36 am
Who would’ve thought at the start of the season we’d be needing to make these kinds of decisions? Going to be a tough one, not sure what we’ll do there. I agree with most, he isn’t good in dummy half, his passing out of there was ridiculously slow, and I’m not sure that has anything to do with fitness as he started at that pace. Benji is way too good to replace so I have no idea.. He may get chance if at some point Benji is injured? Might be the only option unfortunately.
Agree about him not a hooker. My biggest worry about playing him there is that he’s handling the ball at most PTB’s, and that gives him a lot of opportunities to produce something stupid
Looks like being a depth player along with Tui, if things keep going the way they are

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:03 am

stevied wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:41 am
kh_canada wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:28 am
I tip Ivan to continue playing him off the bench, as Ink has suggested, he would be under pressure to include him in the squad. I personally couldn't give him a spot in the 17 at this time though.
Under pressure to include him? What's the difference between playing Him or Nofa in reggies? Both are on good money and Ivan wants to pick the best combination based on form and value to the team.
Ivan bought him specifically for 5/8, he was the "biggest" signing in the off-season. Nofa is on good money, but IC didn't specifically chase his signature to play on the wing. Surely you can agree he would be under a bit of pressure to include Josh, a marquee signing.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:05 am

JR will and should be on the bench. He was lacking match fitness but he will get that back.

I wasn't his biggest fan when he was at the dogs but he is certainly a player when fit, that can produce a lot more than Godinet or Killer on the park. If we were 4 down with 10 to go I would rather him coming on than the other two.

He strikes me as a person who would do what is needed for the team. Both he or Benji should be in the side.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:15 am

What concerned me about benji yesterday was I believe he actually took away from Luke's game. Luke was on fire early then Benji started getting it too much and we looked legless as a result. He had 4 very poor last tackle options. His only good last tackle options were his bombs, which were great. Poor pass over the sideline was a shocker.

Great 2 tries, great defence, great bombs....all very good. But let's not pretend the poor wasn't really poor. His 2 grubbers straight into Manly players turning the ball over, passing to Lawrence on a short blind to kick, throwing the ball the Esarn on a short blind to kick, these are last tackle options that should have went to Brooks. That's the problem with Benji, if he does a couple of good things, he then takes the ball too much. Give it to Brooks 70% of the time please on the last.

I'm not trying to bag Benji, I'm very happy he's here and very happy with what he has done. But there are signs there that worry me. I think Brooks taking even more control and Reynolds sitting back getting the ball when Luke wants him to get it would be a better balance. Just my opinion.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:21 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:41 am
4th best hooker? He's behind Godinet? You're having a laugh, surely.

I got no problem with him being on the bench, it's not like we are spoiled for choices in the utility position. 5 wins out of 6. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I had him behind Liddle-Killer and Elijah. From what I saw, their service is better than his. Even as 5/8, I am not sure about his passing left to right.

Anyway, I don’t want to totally death ride him at this point. First game back and in an unfavoured position. He just needs to get fitter and show a bit more spark if he is going to play there.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:28 am

Yeah I don't know....you can't split up the starting halves ....Reynolds brings a lot of energy and i like the way he was getting out of marker in D made a lot of back to back efforts....

So bench for now...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:37 am

Let's remember it was Grubs first game in a long time, he will get match fitness under his belt, the boys love having him around and will only get better,his passes were rusty and will make a good back up to Liddle coming off the bench

willow

Post by willow » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:44 am

Can't split up the starting halves for now, no way. Reynolds was gassed after 15 minutes, but I don't see Cleary changing strategy with him just yet. He needs match fitness obviously and as good as Liddle is, he doesn't have 80 minutes in him yet so Reynolds to continue to playing at 9 while he gets his fitness and timing up to speed.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:46 am

I would imagine that his training has been limited, but I was surprised by his lack of fitness. I think a couple of weeks playing at least 60mins in ISP would benefit him

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:58 am

I must be the only one that was really pleased with his input vs Manly. Defensively, he was a terrier. And let's not forget, it's his first game. Having Grub on the bench is ideal given his ability to adequately cover various positions. Loved seeing him out there. Benji has earned the right to the 6 for now, but Josh is always going to be snapping at his heels. Great for the team.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:19 am

When Manly started to get on a roll he seemed to throw himself into every second tackle and tried hard to stop their momentum.
I was surprised when he look buggered because during the pre season everyone said he was really driving the intensity of the training. Still fitness can be easily lost.
It was good that Ivan threw him in the see where he was at.
in Ivan we distrust

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:25 am

i actually think benji would do well at dummy half.
but i wouldn't want to split up brooks and benji at the moment.
there is a mojo in our halves we haven't had in a while.

the 2nd half i was watching more f1 than the game,so i'll have to look at grub more.
ivan will keep him on the bench until injury forces his hand.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:35 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:05 am
JR will and should be on the bench. He was lacking match fitness but he will get that back.

I wasn't his biggest fan when he was at the dogs but he is certainly a player when fit, that can produce a lot more than Godinet or Killer on the park. If we were 4 down with 10 to go I would rather him coming on than the other two.

He strikes me as a person who would do what is needed for the team. Both he or Benji should be in the side.
Move Grubby to Center and move Kevie as X factor off the bench! I am not bagging Kevie at the moment, in fact Naquama is killing it IMHO! Put him at romer/bench impact and we will have some fun.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:40 am

Good Thread and this is what a forum is about.

I was thinking along similar lines

He has the Energy and attitude that we need,

However what we are doing better than ever before is Keeping it simple, stuctured and competing on almost every play.

I wasnt happy with Brooks playing Dummy half

JRey can be a relief #9 also. Liddle needs to be given the time to really grow in the role - He's pretty good.