Where are the Marhsall critics now?

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Re: Where are the Marhsall critics now?

Post by turnstyle » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 4:46 pm

tiger05 wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:Hemmsleys Hairdresser - where art thou? :D
And JT...

here i am!
what do you want me to say? as he has played well, i have said so. when he doesnt, i say so - and that is what gets to people.

i saw fox sports news after the tigers beat the bulldogs and they said "everything marshall touched turned to gold". this is the sort of one eyed view that annoys me about benji. were the 2 flick passes that went behind everyone gold, were they? i admit he did play well though.

it never ceases to amaze me the short memory marshalls fans have. dont you all remember the first half of the year when so many kicks went out on the full? over the dead ball line? cut out passes into the crowd? etc, etc, etc....

nope. only the back end of the season when I ADMIT that after greatly reducing his horrendous error rate, he played well. and that is awesome! no one here WANTS him to be so rubbish!! everyone is happy for him to play well: just call it how it is, thats all.

however. if you want a criticism here goes: marshall is fantastic once the pressure is off. i said earlier this season when our chances of the 8 looked to be all but gone that it wouldnt surprise me if benji started to play better now the pressure was off and that it would be a shame because no one would remember the poor form.

same goes for my assessments of him. i admit when he plays well and people only remember me bagging him when i think he deserves it. i like to think i call it as i see it and im not going to stop.

i would like nothing more than for him to continue next season the way he went at the end of the season, when suddenly the pack was no longer to blame, nor the backs, for his bad play.

regards, turnstyle (jt)

turnstyle

Post by turnstyle » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 4:48 pm

tigergirlz wrote:He wasn't the best player this season. He has been returning to the exciting five-eigthth of 2005, and his injury free season and the partnership with Moltzen has really helped. But there were 26 (?) rounds this season.
exactly. :master:

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:34 am

Contrary to some beliefs, i think Benji's move to halfback helped him. He may not have been a sucess there but i do think the responsibility gained there has made him a better player. It's no coincidence either that in first Moltzen and then Lui who both are proper halves, that Marshall's best form occured from there on.

JET

Post by JET » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:00 pm

Reminds me of Cliffie Lyons from Manly. Brilliant one minute gone walkabout the rest of the game.
How can he steer people around the park when he doen't know what he is going to do next.
We need an organiser!

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm

2009 is the career defining season for Marshall IMO.

He has grown more as a complete player this season and that growth will continue when callerd upon in the Test matches

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:42 pm

smeghead wrote:2009 is the career defining season for Marshall IMO.

He has grown more as a complete player this season and that growth will continue when callerd upon in the Test matches
I agree, he had a good season. taking it bit by bit.
and he looked like he was enjoying his footy again.
who knows what can be achieved!!
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 3:44 pm

an injury free season has given him plenty of confidence! im sure our first half of 2010 will be lethal with his confidence at a high

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 8:29 am

smeghead wrote:2009 is the career defining season for Marshall IMO.
Lets hope it continues into next season and he remains injury free.

I think he has been our best attacking player for a while but this season he has become a more complete player - less mistakes while still remaining a game breaker.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 5:52 pm

Benji isn't a complete footballer,he's either hot or cold,does too many silly things in his game, tries to be the match winner too often, West tigers need an organizer, like orford ,kimmorley, lockyer etc .thats the thing the tigers lack in my opinion..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:18 pm

tomcat wrote:Benji isn't a complete footballer,he's either hot or cold,does too many silly things in his game, tries to be the match winner too often, West tigers need an organizer, like orford ,kimmorley, lockyer etc .thats the thing the tigers lack in my opinion..
It amazes me how people seem to think he's not a complete footballer... what is a complete footballer?

He's got a GREAT footy brain
He's got a GREAT short kicking game
He WINS the game for us all too often
He organises most of our attack if not all
He played the last half of the season like an absolute champion! (the first half wasn't that bad)

He does have a few off games... but so does EVERY player. Kimmorley plays a stinker every now and again... Orford plays stinkers more often then he plays well imo... Lockyer has a tendancy to go missing in games....

Given the amount of injuries he's had... he's barely had 2 fair dinkum seasons of footy and this was the first time he's had a full season leading the side around the field... i don't think it should come as a surprise he played his best footy towards the tail end of the season.

Not to mention the removal of Morris improved his game ten fold!

NO player would fill the void by your expectations...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

alien

Post by alien » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 8:44 pm

I think Benji is awesome in the halves when he has another good attacking player in the halves with him. If we had Benji and Moltzen in the halves for all of this year we would have definately made the top 8 and I think even the top 4.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 9:01 pm

Great post Kaiser. All players make mistakes. Marshall has matured and so has his game. I think some of this stuff is myth talk.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 7:40 am

Allan Towle wrote:I think some of this stuff is myth talk.
I'd say more like 99.9%. He gets judged differently to other players - no idea why.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 8:58 am

tiger05 wrote:
Allan Towle wrote:I think some of this stuff is myth talk.
I'd say more like 99.9%. He gets judged differently to other players - no idea why.
Because .....he has the potential to be one of the best of all time.....a Superstar of the game.......

After watching the majority of the season again (thank you IQ),,,,,Benji Marshall showed me he deserves that status....... with another injury free season and the consistant form he showed in the back half of the season ....It was simple really he basically cut out his schoolboy errors and became a bit more selective with his off the cuff magic,,,,,,

Geez....I'm harsh on Benji cause I think he is well....bloody fantastic...no one does what Marshall can do on the footy field.....On his day he will win you games no doubt..... he will carve teams up..... ...Sheens hopefully will give him the help he needs to LEAD us to a Premiership.....I think Benji's up to it.....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

turnstyle

Post by turnstyle » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 6:24 pm

the only myth is that he an established champion.

what a beautiful thing a little time is. a win in round 1 is worth 2 points. a win in the last round is worth 2 points. play like rubbish the first half of the season - forgotten. play well the second half and you are a complete footballer who "has a few off games"....

dont get me wrong: i am very happy with how he developed his all round game this season, particularly happy to see some great tackling and extremely pleased he missed only 1 game. no more complaints from me about his injury riddled past if he keeps that up - how could i?

i think geo summed it up with pragmatism and objectivity:
It was simple really he basically cut out his schoolboy errors and became a bit more selective with his off the cuff magic
chris lawrence didnt set the world on fire this season, but he has continued on the path towards becoming a REAL champion imo.

the way marshall played THE SECOND HALF of the season i get the feeling he too is on the right path. finally.

but until he continues in this vein with consistency (theres that word again) over time and is continually an attacking threat and defensively reliable (ie; my opinion on what constitutes "a complete footballer"), then i will be happy to liken him to kimmorley, lockyer, et al, who have EARNT their reputations through YEARS of being great players.

this may sound over critical (who me?! :lol: ), but i want him to play like he did the second half of this season when the tigers are still a realistic chance - not when there is the "oh, we almost made it..." excuse.

in 2010, i want him to start as he finished 09 and play like that all year. sure, everyone has off days, but not off half seasons....

ps: apart from his goal kicking - i think he is a really good goal kicker and his percentage is misleading due to the amount of tries scored out wide - his general kicking this year was pretty ordinary. he is a good kicker, but it seemed this year he was too often unprepared and therefore put under too much pressure before kicking...