SHEENS TO FIX THE 'ROCKS AND DIAMONDS'

crouching_tiger

Re: SHEENS TO FIX THE 'ROCKS AND DIAMONDS'

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 4:45 pm

alex wrote: There's no point releasing one mob of deadwood and replacing them with 4 reserve graders
yes there is. With the release of players on higher earnings and replacing them with fringe 1st graders at a lower cost, what does that equate to?
Added depth, allowance for WT own juniors to push through the ranks, and eventually turning the finacial situation into a positive position. Sheens ONLY declared the cleanout approximately 12 months ago, and i can assure you it will take more than just 1 year to turn it around. As stated before, i am certain Sheens has put a plan in place in front of the board last year to which they can all see the benefits.
Some of the talent WT have in their lower grades are far more deserving of upgrades than purchasing any high priced player from another club.
If you look at the bigger picture, this year Sheens has given a few deserving players a slight taste, with Shirnack, Gower, Dwyer, Lui all being the positions we have all been screaming to fix.
The last thing WT need IMO is to become a team such as the Roosters, Panthers, Bulldogs who try and buy a premiership.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 4:48 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:So the Fonz starts blaming Benji's flick passing.

Well that will do me. :deadhorse:
I think it's hilarious. I really can't imagine Bagz doing those sort of passes at training under Eagle-eye Sheens. I reckon Benji just pulls them out of his backside when he's in front of 20 000 people. :lol:
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:05 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:So the Fonz starts blaming Benji's flick passing.

Well that will do me. :deadhorse:
“The flick pass, when all he had to do was pass and we score, and he flicks it over the sideline. There the things, the rocks and the diamonds that come with our team at times, and we have got to get through that,’’ Sheens said.
Isn't that true but Bug....giving away the ball when on the attack puts pressure on your D....There were a lot of times this year where simply through the hands would have been the go rather than the miricle ball ....fantastic entertainment when it comes off.....Benji wasn't the only one....I don't think Sheens is actually blaming Benji just want's him to chose his options better.....

Benji nearly put 3 over the sideline against the ScumDogs....Never want him to change just be a bit more selective like the pick up and pass for Galea's try now that was magic stuff ....only a few in the game could pull it off and look so good.....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

alex

Post by alex » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:18 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
alex wrote: There's no point releasing one mob of deadwood and replacing them with 4 reserve graders
yes there is. With the release of players on higher earnings and replacing them with fringe 1st graders at a lower cost, what does that equate to?
Added depth, allowance for WT own juniors to push through the ranks, and eventually turning the finacial situation into a positive position. Sheens ONLY declared the cleanout approximately 12 months ago, and i can assure you it will take more than just 1 year to turn it around. As stated before, i am certain Sheens has put a plan in place in front of the board last year to which they can all see the benefits.
Some of the talent WT have in their lower grades are far more deserving of upgrades than purchasing any high priced player from another club.
If you look at the bigger picture, this year Sheens has given a few deserving players a slight taste, with Shirnack, Gower, Dwyer, Lui all being the positions we have all been screaming to fix.
The last thing WT need IMO is to become a team such as the Roosters, Panthers, Bulldogs who try and buy a premiership.
you're contradicting yourself. why bring in fringe first graders from other clubs when we can just promote from within? there's around 18-20 top 25 players from this year who will be there in 2010 too, so we've got around half a dozen spots to fill but we're bringing in fringe players from other clubs rather than giving those minimal wage contracts to guys like Gower and Pritchard.

we've got enough depth at fullback as it is, wings we've got pritchard and davis from wests + guys from the U20s who would benefit from time in the state cup. halves are for once, plentiful. forwards we're lacking real mongrel and power. Gower looked the goods on Friday night, Schirnack I'm still not sold on, Fifita and Woods need some time in State Cup to develop and grow into their bodies. Guys like Skando and Payten wont be around for much longer, Skando still questionnable for 2010, and we've had to use guys like Galea and Payne in the front row. Yet we sign four reserve grade backs? IMO the one thing the team is lacking is one more prop. Whenever we have an injury in the front row we substitute it by moving a backrower into the front row and bring someone like Mataka onto the bench to play 20mins. I would be fine with bringing in fringe first grade propb because that's where we lack depth, not in the backs.

I guess we'll just have to wait for confirmation on the top 25 for 2010 before we can judge Sheens's master plan.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:31 pm

alex wrote:IMO the one thing the team is lacking is one more prop.
And what makes you think this hasn't been taken care of?
alex wrote:I guess we'll just have to wait for confirmation on the top 25 for 2010 before we can judge Sheens's master plan.
I think you should be patient.

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 5:55 pm

willow wrote:SHEENS TO FIX THE 'ROCKS AND DIAMONDS'

“If we had made it, we would have probably limped in anyway. We just got banged up at the wrong end of the season.

“Three weeks ago, we were looking pretty strong, we were going well. I had to move the half-back back to full-back. They are not excuses, just reasons, and we know that. It just threw us off track a little.

“Probably in the middle of the season, we had four games we lost by two points. Every club’s got that but we had a group of them. We are a better side, and we are more optimistic, because we have played better overall all season.
is this not promise enough?

even though he's said Lui will be halfback for next season ?
tigers!

alex

Post by alex » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
alex wrote:IMO the one thing the team is lacking is one more prop.
And what makes you think this hasn't been taken care of?
alex wrote:I guess we'll just have to wait for confirmation on the top 25 for 2010 before we can judge Sheens's master plan.
I think you should be patient.
Time's running out to sign new guys. That's my concern.

I, like many other fans, are running out of patience in regards to the recruitment in the club. I'm sure you'd agree it's been pretty mediocre the past few years.

Unless Sheens signs a proper rep 'quality' player, he's bailed out on his promise after one season. That's gotta make fans angry.

tigh

Post by tigh » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 8:35 pm

Just sick of the club always buying sub-standard players. Ellis has been the only real decent signing since Prince. Other than that, Galea goes alright but isnt exactly gonna challenge Watmough for a NSW jersey.
Add Galloway to the list of good signings
TNT was a pretty good signing.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 9:52 am

crouching_tiger wrote:You say Ellis has been the real decent signing when he is the one draining all the funds to buy further acquisitions. IMO it's a waste. He is being used as a tackling machine when he won't be the one to win you a premiership. I would rather have a supply of 3 or 4 half decent backrowers on the same coin who can tackle than 1 big name backrower who offers barely anything in attack because he is not being utilised properly. And even then, the club would have spare change.
Imo Ellis has been outstanding for us. He is the sort of player who can give our pack a real solid look. Him & Galloway are 2 rep quality impact players.

You need good go forward and defence. These two players along with Robbie are players that you can build a forward pack around.

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 11:00 am

tigh wrote:
Just sick of the club always buying sub-standard players. Ellis has been the only real decent signing since Prince. Other than that, Galea goes alright but isnt exactly gonna challenge Watmough for a NSW jersey.
Add Galloway to the list of good signings
TNT was a pretty good signing.
How about Hodgson?
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

dimitri

Post by dimitri » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 2:16 pm

Are Gibbs and Laurie not viable options in the front row along with Galloway and Payten?

Gibbs was playing outstanding football at the back end of the year. Shame about the knee issue considering "Kung-fu Soward" and "Watch-me-dribble with the Wolfmans head Thurston" get off from suspension for worse looking incidents.

The Predator Daine Laurie, if Sheens can get his head right, will be devastating in the middle of the field. The Fifita boys also look promising and have what all front-rowers should have - Aggression. They will be handy backups in the front row in 2010 and will more than likely play a handful of games to cover injuries/representative commitments/suspensions.

Woods is only 18 and is still growing. He still needs a few years in the lower grades to develop.

All-in-all, Sheens is building a promising squad.

Fingers crossed that the injury gods are kind to the squad in 2010. Cronulla were guaranteed a Top 4 finish in 2009 but looked what happened to them.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 5:17 pm

[/quote]

Add Galloway to the list of good signings[/quote]

Keith has taken 3 years to wind up.... As props do in their mid to late 20's

His next 3 years should be very telling...

PS- My 5 yr old likes K-G the best in the team, Why I Asked.

" Cause he is easy to pick coause of his red hair"
UTT - Up The Tigers

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 11:15 am

alex wrote:
crouching_tiger wrote:
alex wrote: junior rep sides dont cut it, sorry.
Gee you're a hard marker!!

A lot of people on this forum were going crook about us signing Ellis at the time if I remember correctly.

Let's all wait and see how the season pans out before puting the boot in.

maxpower

Post by maxpower » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:23 pm

Jason Cayless: NZ international

Two NZ reps = promise kept, but he still doesn't drop out of form players, i don't think thats going to change though...
WTFL