Jake Mullaney being "seriously considered"

Hbom

Re: Jake Mullaney being "seriously considered"

Post by Hbom » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 1:45 pm

SHEENS LIKES WHAT HE SEES IN MULLANEY
By Wayne Cousins
Friday, 9 October 2009

The emergence of Jake Mullaney will see him push hard for the NRL full-back position in coming years according to coach Tim Sheens.

Like many, Sheens has been impressed by Mullaney’s debut season in the Toyota Cup which saw him win the Wests Tigers U20s Player of the Year Award.

Sheens will monitor Mullaney over summer when he will be given an opportunity to spend some time training with the NRL squad. Mullaney is still eligible for the Toyota Cup next season.

“Jake has got speed and anticipation. He is an intelligent kid that needs to physically mature. I have seem him grow up this year and he has been going well.

“He can change a game. He knows where to be. The try that he set up for Robert Lui and the one he scored in the grand final shows the kid knows how to play the game.”

In a memorable season, Mullaney scored 29 tries in 27 matches and kicked 103 goals for 322 points. He finished the year as the Toyota Cup’s leading pointscorer.

Amazingly, 21 of his tries came in the last 10 matches, including a double in the controversial grand final loss to the Storm on Sunday.

Mullaney’s red hot form has seen him being compared to former full-back Brett Hodgson for his ability to sniff a try, his support play, and his exceptional goal-kicking.

Sheens said Mullaney’s form also helps covers the loss of Shannon Gallant to North Queensland.

“Mullaney is probably the reason why when Gallant came to us and said he wanted to go, we agreed,’’ Sheens said.

“When you have a kid like Jake coming through, we could afford to say to Shannon that if that is what you want to do, take that option. In saying that, we wanted Shannon to stay at Wests Tigers but he chose to leave.”
In my assessment, Jake will be a good backup full-back in 2010. After that, hope he pushes for the permanent no. 1 spot.

tiger3

Post by tiger3 » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 2:37 pm

He will be ready for first grade just as Lote signs off on his retirement...

Juro

Post by Juro » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 2:58 pm

The grand final was my first proper look at Mullaney and just like Sheens, I like what I see. Obviously still very young but he has great potential. I'd hate for us to lose him now when he could be a real asset for us in a couple years' time!
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 5:50 pm

thats a great point...i honestly cant see lote playing with us for more than 2 years if he signs due to rugby union clubs breathing down his neck..contract him for a spot when lote leaves..this kid plays alot slater imo

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 5:56 pm

Hybrid what is your source saying now?

willow

Post by willow » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 7:10 pm

No doubt a lot of us will be interested in seeing how Mullaney comes along next season. He'll no doubt star in the Toyota Cup and he could well get a brief stint in FG similar to Dwyer and Lui did this year.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 9:27 pm

willow wrote:No doubt a lot of us will be interested in seeing how Mullaney comes along next season. He'll no doubt star in the Toyota Cup and he could well get a brief stint in FG similar to Dwyer and Lui did this year.
Would not be surprised if Mullaney finds himself in the halves for the 20's next year........
Sheens said Mullaney’s form also helps covers the loss of Shannon Gallant to North Queensland.

“Mullaney is probably the reason why when Gallant came to us and said he wanted to go, we agreed,’’ Sheens said.

“When you have a kid like Jake coming through, we could afford to say to Shannon that if that is what you want to do, take that option. In saying that, we wanted Shannon to stay at Wests Tigers but he chose to leave.”
Interesting quote from Sheens here re Mullaney V Gallant.........looks lke those Sharks rumours were just that......rumours
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

NEDKELLY

Post by NEDKELLY » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 5:01 pm

Jake Mullaney is the real deal IMO!

I hope he has a great off-season and gets an opportunity to play 1st Grade.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 5:14 pm

Mate he's ready for STATE CUP, stop rushing these youngsters into first grade...let him mature through the ranks..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:28 pm

tomcat wrote:Mate he's ready for STATE CUP, stop rushing these youngsters into first grade...let him mature through the ranks..
I agree,
let him mature first
however if Lote signs that'l be the end of this discussion

Kul

Post by Kul » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 4:00 am

according to other forums, the sharks have offered Mullaney $26,000 more than the Tigers just to play Toyota Cup
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

bob56

Post by bob56 » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 6:57 pm

yes, I agree state cup. Very unusual to go from Flegg (u/21) straight into NRL. If we can compare?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 12:28 am

Kul wrote:according to other forums, the sharks have offered Mullaney $26,000 more than the Tigers just to play Toyota Cup
Seems a lot now but small bickies in the scheme of things. His manager would be doing him a dis-service to leave for that when his next contract will have that and more.

Anyway the reliability of some forums we know is very poor at best :D

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 4:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Kul wrote:according to other forums, the sharks have offered Mullaney $26,000 more than the Tigers just to play Toyota Cup
Seems a lot now but small bickies in the scheme of things. His manager would be doing him a dis-service to leave for that when his next contract will have that and more.

Anyway the reliability of some forums we know is very poor at best :D

He has already signed for the 2010 season with the Tigers, so these stories are just that, stories.

He is ready for first grade right now. Did Benji ever play reserve grade? I think not.

I would not be surprised if he was not a very very good half back as well as a great fullback. Next year will tell.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 4:59 pm

JAKE NOW THE 'ONE' IN MUM'S EYES
By Wayne Cousins
Wednesday, 14 October 2009

To many, Jake Mullaney was born to be a full-back but not in the eyes of his mum, Michelle.

When Jake started trialling at full-back at the beginning of 2009, Michelle shook her head.

She had fresh visions of her son carving opposition teams up as a half for Eagle Vale St Andrews and in the Magpies junior rep teams.

“I had been trying to convince mum for ages I was a full-back but she thinks of me as a half or five-eighth,’’ said Mullaney.

“That’s how I started the pre-season, as a half. I was trialing for a position in the halves but it was hard to get past Robert (Lui) and Darren (Nicholls).

“Everyone thought Coedi (Towney) would be the full-back after he played there last year but when he got injured, it gave me an opportunity. It all just went from there.”

It is hard to believe the Wests Tigers Toyota Cup Player of the Year was struggling at the start of the season.

“For the first few rounds, I was on the outer with the team. I was struggling. I bombed a few tries,’’ Mullaney admitted.

“I started to run into some form about the halfway mark of the season. It was around the same time that the team started to find its form. I had a feeling then that this was a pretty good side.’’

Mullaney paid credit to Nicholls and his hard working pack of forwards. Without them, he feels he wouldn’t have been able to achieve what he did.

“Darren was a really good leader. I just listened to him at training and on the field. His leadership really helped me,’’ Mullaney said.

“It was great to be able to run off the likes of the Fifita boys, Simon Dwyer and Jason Schirnack. They just gave the team so much go forward.

“I’ve always been a bit of a tryscorer but to score 29 tries, you don’t expect that at the start of the year.”

It was not just his ability to find a try that had fans excited. His goal-kicking was first class too.

Mullaney kicked 103 goals for the season and along with his 29 tries, scored 322 points to be the competition’s leading pointscorer.

“I didn’t even consider doing the goal-kicking,’’ Mullaney revealed.

“It’s funny. None of the boys put their hand up for it at the start. I kicked seven from seven in our first trial and it just went from there.”

As for next season, Mullaney will be one of the key men in the Wests Tigers Toyota Cup team under coach Grant Jones.

Before that though, he will have an opportunity over summer to do some training with the first grade team.

“I’m full of confidence now and I have to take that into next year,’’ he said.

“I still have a long way to go before making first grade. I’m looking forward to getting to know some of the NRL guys better, yet alone training with them. Maybe, who knows, I may be able to play alongside them in a couple of years.”

Mullaney admits to being a big ‘Benji fan’. He also smiles when asked about the comparisons to former premiership winning full-back and club legend Brett Hodgson.

There are a few similarities. Apart from being lightweight full-backs and goal-kickers, the pair grew up in Campbelltown, played for the same junior league club in Eagle Vale-St Andrews, and both played for the Magpies cricket club in the Camden junior competition.

“Benji is a freak. He can score or create tries from anywhere. I’ve always enjoyed watching him play,’’ Mullaney said.

“Being a Campbelltown boy, I always took an interest in Brett Hodgson. He achieved so much on and off the field. I suppose there is no one better to be compared to than Brett.”’

And as for Michelle, she has since adapted to her son in the full-back role. With the aid of Jake’s girlfriend Tanya, she made the ‘ Mullaney is No 1’ banner that was on display throughout the finals.

Judging by the way he excelled this season, the Jake Mullaney Fan Club will only get bigger in 2010.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm

Mullaney will be one of the key men in the Wests Tigers Toyota Cup team under coach Grant Jones.

Before that though, he will have an opportunity over summer to do some training with the first grade team.

“I’m full of confidence now and I have to take that into next year,’’ he said.

“I still have a long way to go before making first grade. I’m looking forward to getting to know some of the NRL guys better, yet alone training with them. Maybe, who knows, I may be able to play alongside them in a couple of years.”

Mullaney admits to being a big ‘Benji fan’. He also smiles when asked about the comparisons to former premiership winning full-back and club legend Brett Hodgson.

There are a few similarities. Apart from being lightweight full-backs and goal-kickers, the pair grew up in Campbelltown, played for the same junior league club in Eagle Vale-St Andrews, and both played for the Magpies cricket club in the Camden junior competition.

“Benji is a freak. He can score or create tries from anywhere. I’ve always enjoyed watching him play,’’ Mullaney said.
Guess that finally puts the Sharks to bed....26K extra from Ricky is a lot to knock back for such a young kid....I like him even more....loyalty
When Jake started trialling at full-back at the beginning of 2009, Michelle shook her head.

She had fresh visions of her son carving opposition teams up as a half for Eagle Vale St Andrews and in the Magpies junior rep teams.

“I had been trying to convince mum for ages I was a full-back but she thinks of me as a half or five-eighth,’’ said Mullaney.

“That’s how I started the pre-season, as a half. I was trialing for a position in the halves but it was hard to get past Robert (Lui) and Darren (Nicholls).
I'm with Mum....move him to the halves......Alan Langer......Anyone????
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

NEDKELLY

Post by NEDKELLY » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 4:06 pm

MagpieCol.
I agree totally with your post. I have been watching football for 45 years and believe me there are some players who can match it with the best at a young age - specifically backline players.

As I stated in my post Mullaney IMO could handle 1st grade if given an opportunity!

Yes it will be tougher than Toyota Cup and yes he will be physically tested far more than U20's.

He has all the skills now! Players such as Bob Fulton, Kerry Boustead, Geoff Starling, Peter Sterling, Benji Marshall were all playing 1st grade at 18 years of age, "Because they were good enough". Some of those names were playing Test Football and winning Grand Finals.
If he has the ticker of a Brett Hodgson he will be a future "Star". ;)

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 8:05 pm

Yep Fulton used to always say that about Benji.