Benji Marshall........?

Geo.

Benji Marshall........?

Post by Geo. » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:49 am

Is Benji Marshall now the No 1 goto man for the Wests Tigers....

Our gun player if you like.......

Has he overtaken Farah in his importance to our side.....?

Can He lead us to a Premiership......(should we make the 8)

Who else needs to 'step up' in order to take us deep into the 2010 season.......

Thoughts....

I say Yes....Benji is the man.....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

MGB

Post by MGB » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm

Farah has to be our true marquee still, Benji improved considerably late in the season but if we had to lose one I'd prefer it was Benji.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:20 pm

he certainly aint no brett kimmorley.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

G. Strombolli

Post by G. Strombolli » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm

Marshall's been the go-to man to win us games for a while now hasn't he? Not that it always works...

I look at Robbie as the more consistent of the two. When Benji's on, he's on. And we've all seen what happens when he isn't. Farah looked out of sorts and genuinely tired in the second half of the season - nothing to worry about beyond the fact that him not playing his best probably lost us a few. I also think/hope it'll make him hungrier for next year.

Farah also stopped persevering when it came to scooting from dummy half and trying to get a penalty. If it didn't work, he gave up pretty quickly - something I attribute to tiredness rather than a change in attitude.

One area that does need some fixing is that it seems (and I am generalising, so correct me if I'm wrong) that when one fires, the other doesn't. If we have both players firing consistently, top eight here we come.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:57 pm

Marshall is in my mind without a doubt our go to man... if he stays injury free next season i have no doubt in my mind he'll prove to everyone he's not a myth and people will start raving on about how great a player he really is... :sign:
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

BrissieTiger67

Post by BrissieTiger67 » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:18 pm

I agree with what most people are saying, robbie has the better consistency but when marshall is really on it turns the game on its head. I hope that they both stay one man clubs cos when they are together in form they are the best duo in the NRL IMO. Losing robbie to origin duty showed how much influence he has over us winning but that game where benji was out with a cold we were lost. I just hope they have another injury free season next year!!!!

willow

Post by willow » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:22 pm

There were times this season when Marshall clearly offered more than Farah in attack and vice versa. What hurt Farah was when the referees softened up on allowing a quick play the ball which nullified Farah's attack around the ruck and out of dummyhalf. Marshall meanwhile had moments of sheer brilliance when there was nothing seemingly happening. On the occasions where the Tigers did get a good roll on though, Farah was certainly damaging.

Benji matured somewhat this season though and while the extra responsibility had him playing very hot and cold for the first half of the season, towards the end he was stringing together some consistently good performances which has me looking forward to next season.

Icon

Post by Icon » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:53 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:he certainly aint no brett kimmorley.
"he certainly aint no" - i think that means he is :lol:

by the way what has brett kimmorley got to do with anything unless he's playing for the tigers next year. He certainly can't be our go to man.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 3:09 pm

unlike kimmorley he aint a go to man. marshall isnt an organiser as we have discovered of late. so i disagree with you - because marshall aint the one.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

tiga93

Post by tiga93 » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 4:07 pm

he's definatly got his confidence back, and though he improved considerably in the latter half of the season, he's still got more in him. that's something to :wahoo: about.

who needs to step up u say?? the whole team. they shuld all be playing wif the passion and enthusiasm of :master: ellis, :master: tuiaki, :master: ayshford, :master: benji,
:master: galloway and :master: moltzen.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 4:13 pm

Geo. wrote:Is Benji Marshall now the No 1 goto man for the Wests Tigers....

Our gun player if you like.......

Has he overtaken Farah in his importance to our side.....?

Can He lead us to a Premiership......(should we make the 8)

Who else needs to 'step up' in order to take us deep into the 2010 season.......

Thoughts....

I say Yes....Benji is the man.....
Yes.

If i was going into a big game and had the choice between having Benji or Robbie, i'd go Benji. But having both is nice :D
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 6:25 pm

Now that certain players, Collis, Payne, Halatau are gone who seemed to get picked every game for us despite their form, I think this side can move forward.

I think losing Morris and Galea off the bench will hurt us so their replacements next year obviously have to stand up as is the case with all forwards except Ellis. I'd love for his attack to be used more but that is coaching more than his fault.

Benji is our go to man 100% if he misses more than a third of the games than the side will struggle again.

Robbie and Benji will hopefully put together a partnership next year reminicent of Buderus/Johns

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 8:55 pm

Last season I thought Robbie was the go-to man. This season it was Benji. Both have struggeled for consistency in the past seasons. I think its important to have more than one option and if they both are go-to man than yahoo for us.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 2:24 pm

by greatly reducing his error rate and being more discerning (as you said in another post, geo) benji has improved dramatically in my opinion.
however. he now needs to play this way consistently and when there is pressure - not when there is an excuse for just missing the finals.

he is great when he puts someone like lawrence or moltzen into a gap but i still dont think he should have organisational responsibilities just yet and should just be creative - which is his strength - and play his own game.

so in answer: is he? not yet.

can he be? yes - in a couple of seasons.

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 3:53 pm

most definitely. our hot streak was on the back of benji..i dont know what happened to farah, he seemed to go a bit quiet..

Juro

Post by Juro » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 5:18 pm

Marshall can create things out of nothing and provides that extra spark in attack. But he needs someone to take pressure off him. If we find the right halfback to partner with him, we will surely make the finals.

Farah was hampered this year by the referees. He should have been picking up penalties every game from his dummy half runs but they refused to give them for some reason. Toward the end of the season he looked tired. Whether this was the pressure of trying to win every single game, or niggling injuries, or whatever, the off-season should see him return to his best.

Of course, rugby league is a team game. Without the forwards going forward, both will struggle. Without players running off either Marshall or Farah, a lot of the good things they can do are negated. We need everyone to do their job. Like others have said, now that we have cleared out a couple of the underperformers of recent years, hopefully we can get the whole team moving in the right direction...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

izotope

Post by izotope » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 6:44 pm

I think farah needs the pressure taken off him.. it seems when the trouble is on, been captain he feels it is his duty to step up.. which often leads to mistakes
tigers!

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 7:56 am

If we had a half who could take the game by the horns and do all the organising, Robbie and Benji would tear sides to peices.
Under this senario they would both be the "go to" men and we would win a lot more than we lose.
Just gotta find that elusive half.........