The best of Gibbs

Hbom

The best of Gibbs

Post by Hbom » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 9:23 am

If we do manage to sign Lima and Cayless, and considering other forwards pushing for regular first grade selection such as Gower, Moors, A Fafita (and a host of others) - is it just possible that this will bring out the best in Bryce Gibbs? No more will he be a walk up start for the front-row. I can only see this competition as helpful for Bryce. I really hope we see him carrying the ball with unprecedented vigor in 2010 and that he goes on to reach Skandalis status in the club several years down the track.

Go Bryce!

Juro

Post by Juro » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 9:32 am

Yeah, you would hope so. But to do that, Sheens needs to pick players based on performance.

That didn't happen this year, but that may be due to other reasons such as salary cap constraints...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 10:05 am

I thought 2009 was much better from Gibbs but with genuine competition for the front row,i think you will find Gibbs finally living up to all that potential plus Folkes will also bring him and all the other forwards along :wahoo:

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 10:13 am

Gibbs is the prop that we need to balance the pack.

Also I think if we sign those two players mentioned there will be a much lower penalty count from Gibbs. He tends to give away penalties when we have to for the most part, like slowing down the PTB after a line break etc

willow

Post by willow » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 10:51 am

Gibbs had a much improved 2009. Yes, he was guilty of the occasional brain explosion and gave away a few penalties, but he actually did his job in attack for a change and averaged over 100m per game for the first time in his NRL career, plus he continued to defend well in the middle. I think he's improving with age and I think the addition of a couple of genuine front rowers will only help Gibbs, and the team further.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 1:14 pm

2010 the year of Bryce.......Origin bound.........
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

izotope

Post by izotope » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 1:17 pm

Geo. wrote:2010 the year of Bryce.......Origin bound.........
lets not go nuts.

but i certainly hope with the depth we have now, sheens will have the balls to send someone bag to state cup if they arn't performing..! this should bring out the best in all players!
tigers!

alex

Post by alex » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 3:45 pm

lol

i reckon darren lockyer would be in a blues jumper before bryce hahaha.

Gibbs has above average fitness for a prop, maybe Folkes can get some aggression and mongrel in him that will turn those 40mins into 40 devastating minutes.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 4:42 pm

smeghead wrote:Gibbs is the prop that we need to balance the pack.

Also I think if we sign those two players mentioned there will be a much lower penalty count from Gibbs. He tends to give away penalties when we have to for the most part, like slowing down the PTB after a line break etc
That's true... but one thing you'll notice about Gibbs is at least he's back there chasing them when they make a line break.

He is usually there for the first or second hitup after a kick too.

He easily had his best year in 2009 - hopefully he can better it next year.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 8:49 pm

I dont think thats too far fetched. I mean its probably unlikely, but there's certainly qualities about Bryce's play that would appeal to an Origin coach. The way he defends is very Glenn Lazarus like, and if we do sign these Props, it might just be enough to really catapult Bryce's running game which already improved this year. He has a way to go to even be mentioned for Origin, but i wouldnt totally rule it out either.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 10:21 pm

Without a doubt...09 was his best year.l

No stoopid penalties and big metres,as well as his bustling defense......ive become a huuuuge fan.

izotope

Post by izotope » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 11:00 am

simonthetiger wrote:Without a doubt...09 was his best year.l

No stoopid penalties and big metres,as well as his bustling defense......ive become a huuuuge fan.
oh simon you make the jokes like the clown with the floppy shoes :lol: :lol:
tigers!

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 3:49 pm

apart from afew stupid penalties bryce defensively had a very good season imo. one of his best yet

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 5:51 pm

izotope wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:Without a doubt...09 was his best year.l

oh simon you make the jokes like the clown with the floppy shoes :lol: :lol:

Im glad I amuse.

The penalties Gibbs gave(in the most part) were actually needed.We were gonna get scored against and he gave us time to get our breath back without getting binned.

I have been his harshest critics,especially about his penalties,but this year I have no issue with him.