Coaching Insider: Round 7

Post Reply
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31845
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Coaching Insider: Round 7

Post by willow » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:56 am

Coaching Insider: Round 7
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Fri 20 Apr 2018, 09:50 AM

"Premierships aren't handed out in April."

That's the mentality of Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary as his side looks to continue their dominant start to season 2018 when they take on the Newcastle Knights in Tamworth this Saturday.

After three straight wins and a number of giant-killing performances to start the year, Cleary's men sit firmly entrenched inside the top four of the competition ahead of this week's game, and a win over the Knights could move in to the top two depending on other results falling in their favour.

However, despite a blistering start to the year and external noise surrounding the squad, Cleary maintained that it was simply another week in the office for his side as they ensured complacency didn't creep in.

"I haven't seen that [complacency] here and it's just business as usual," Cleary said.

"You can definitely see the confidence in the squad and that's really good because you can't fake that. That confidence started in November when we started training and that intensity has been there.

"Sometimes success is one of the hardest things to deal with because of complacency.

"But I think the key was that we never discussed where we were going to be on the ladder, or games we might win and might not so that hasn't been part of our planning or opeeration.

"At this point we're just trying to get better all the time," he said.

"There's definitely some confidence in the camp which is good, but we'll just keep taking it one day and opponent at a time and we've got another tough one this week against Newcastle.

"There's always still things to work on and our operation doesn't rely on wins and losses.

"Obviously it's been good to get some wins but there's still plenty to be done."

Set to play at the club's fourth different home game in the opening seven rounds, Cleary said the move up to Tamworth for a few days was one that would be beneficial for both his team and the club as a whole.

"I think it's just part of our story," Cleary said.

"It's our fourth home ground in seven rounds and we've got another one to go too.

"We're a merged club and that brings with it not one common home ground, and we're having a few more this year because the club has a mandate to try and be financially viable and I think that's a good thing.

"I think it's really responsible.

"The first one we did against Melbourne over in Auckland was a success for us, so we're looking forward to doing it again this week."


User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5673
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:43 am

The NZ, Tamworth Home ground arrangement is good in a few ways for the bottom line of the club and also serving as mini camps.

It has the added benefit of getting the team in a position where we can win anywhere and not just at home. mind you we have no real home.

I am happy with the attitude and culture at the tigers of late. The on field success flows from this.

For the first time in ages I feel that the Tigers are building towards being a legitimate club to further a players career and not an easy paycheck for has beens or left overs.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 38490
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm too scared to post this , but the Warriors win and the team playing Newcastle win , the team playing Newcastle would actually be equal comp leaders

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:53 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:11 pm
I'm too scared to post this , but the Warriors win and the team playing Newcastle win , the team playing Newcastle would actually be equal comp leaders
I thought this too, but have also forgotten the team's name which is for the best.

Hopefully the team we are talking about aren't thinking about it, as it is really for their fans to worry about at this time.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 38490
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:53 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:11 pm
I'm too scared to post this , but the Warriors win and the team playing Newcastle win , the team playing Newcastle would actually be equal comp leaders
I thought this too, but have also forgotten the team's name which is for the best.

Hopefully the team we are talking about aren't thinking about it, as it is really for their fans to worry about at this time.
Yeah I'm hoping these men are cut from a different cloth as well ;)


Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 1:29 pm

I've been impressed with Clearys tactics. He seems to break down the opposition really well.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 2:07 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:43 am
The NZ, Tamworth Home ground arrangement is good in a few ways for the bottom line of the club and also serving as mini camps.

It has the added benefit of getting the team in a position where we can win anywhere and not just at home. mind you we have no real home.

I am happy with the attitude and culture at the tigers of late. The on field success flows from this.

For the first time in ages I feel that the Tigers are building towards being a legitimate club to further a players career and not an easy paycheck for has beens or left overs.
Looking at you Anasta
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Post Reply