Live game thread: Contains spoilers

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Live game thread: Contains spoilers

Post by FreddyK » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:16 pm

Realistically, we are on a steep learning curve. So far so good. The thing that struck me tonight was that our halves do not have the wherewithall to manage momentum, that is, to wrestle momentum from the opposing team and do not allow the other team to wrestle it back. Melbourne are the masters and they can change the rhythm of a game and in particular when they are in front they rarely lose. Brooks and Benji have to learn how to change the rhythm of a game and in turn manage the games momentum shifts.

Tonight was a reminder to our boys that they are on the learning curve. In terms of momentum we appeared to have it back to Newcastle rather than fighting to keep it. Let's take some hard lessons and move on. In terms of defence we did not maintain a straight line and we were punished for it, eg Benji in relation to Nofo's defence and Hooth in relation to Mitchell's try. Can't blame Nofo for Benji's mistakes and Hooth came off the line and left a big gap for Mitchell.

Once we grasped the momentum we gave it away by silly penalties and poor defence. We allowed Newcastle to wrestle the momentum back. I put that down to Benji and Brooks not controlling our players and the game.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:19 pm

claws wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:02 pm
If Israel plays, we win. Go Weststigers!
If Israel plays we lose Matulino ,Packer and Rochow from our playing roster

Lose lose situation

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:20 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:16 pm
Brooks and Benji have to learn how to change the rhythm of a game and in turn manage the games momentum shifts.
100 % agree.

Even more so with a winger at fullback and our hooker off the field.
Its an opinion!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:24 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Realistically, we are on a steep learning curve. So far so good. The thing that struck me tonight was that our halves do not have the wherewithall to manage momentum, that is, to wrestle momentum from the opposing team and do not allow the other team to wrestle it back. Melbourne are the masters and they can change the rhythm of a game and in particular when they are in front they rarely lose. Brooks and Benji have to learn how to change the rhythm of a game and in turn manage the games momentum shifts.

Tonight was a reminder to our boys that they are on the learning curve. In terms of momentum we appeared to have it back to Newcastle rather than fighting to keep it. Let's take some hard lessons and move on. In terms of defence we did not maintain a straight line and we were punished for it, eg Benji in relation to Nofo's defence and Hooth in relation to Mitchell's try. Can't blame Nofo for Benji's mistakes and Hooth came off the line and left a big gap for Mitchell.

Once we grasped the momentum we gave it away by silly penalties and poor defence. We allowed Newcastle to wrestle the momentum back. I put that down to Benji and Brooks not controlling our players and the game.
Forwards /defence wins back momentum , halves use that momentum

I think when we see the minutes some blokes had to put in tonight we will understand more , some bit part players needed a lot of extra minutes and the impact lessens greatly with that

Hindsight is always 20/20 but would have the experience of McQueen have helped tonight ?? Especially as the right side is his side when he plays back row

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:43 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:24 pm
FreddyK wrote:

Forwards /defence wins back momentum , halves use that momentum

I think when we see the minutes some blokes had to put in tonight we will understand more , some bit part players needed a lot of extra minutes and the impact lessens greatly with that

Hindsight is always 20/20 but would have the experience of McQueen have helped tonight ?? Especially as the right side is his side when he plays back row
I was hoping he would get the gig tonight.
In a way it’s only when you have a loss that you get a chance to make changes.
And couple of changes may be required.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:49 pm

It seems from the outside looking in that as our training focus has moved from defence to attack our absolute rock like defence has diminished. Earlier in the year we defended our line with amazing energy, scramble AND an organised straight line. Perhaps this week we need to be totally focused on defence
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:49 pm

And ..........we really missed Lawrence
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

BalmainTigerForever

Post by BalmainTigerForever » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:52 pm

yes we need changes, bring Tui back, move Thompson back on the wing.
get rid of Zelesniak and put Nof or Fanua there and never let Godinet play FG again.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:57 pm

We missed Packer enormously. We have a lot of good quality forwards but they do lack impact. Packer is great at running with momentum and getting sets started on the front foot

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:58 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:49 pm
And ..........we really missed Lawrence

And Packer

It's Ok we had a 4 point gap from 5th so it isn't the end of the world , you play enough nail biters you will lose a few of them

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:20 pm

We looked off the pace for the majority of the game the Knights should and could have put us to the sword. But we in the end should have closed out the game. Missed Rowdy missed Packer and Liddle not coming back on is a concern going forward.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:20 pm

The one positive for me - we were beaten by the better team on the night that scored 5 tries to 3 but still only beat us by 2.
Minimun impact on our F/A which will be all important when and if it matters.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:24 pm

BalmainTigerForever wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:52 pm
get rid of Zelesniak and put Nof or Fanua there and never let Godinet play FG again.
What a stinker of an assessment.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:35 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:24 pm
X2

Godinet was not the only one to make a mistake - Hooth and Benji made some clangers. Why Zelezniak? Unless we can bring someone on with good pace he will stay. Tui? Sorry too many positional and defensive mistakes at fullback in the ISP. Fanua also has mistakes in his game. Why move Thompson? Tui is just not good enough for fullback and Thompson is the best that we've got.

BalmainTigerForever

Post by BalmainTigerForever » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:43 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
a good assessment as far as i'm concerned if we want to win games and more importantly my opinion.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:48 pm

Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:43 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
a good assessment as far as i'm concerned if we want to win games and more importantly my opinion.
:roll:

BalmainTigerForever

Post by BalmainTigerForever » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:54 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:48 pm
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:43 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
:roll:
:lol:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:03 pm

Tough one to call.

I thought the Knights were the better side, yet we did fight really well in second half to overcome the deficit quite rapidly and take the lead.

We failed to hold onto the lead because our middle and RHS weren't tight enough. Really you won't win many games with 50 MTs and that was my primary concern, because we fell off a lot of tackles early and late in the game. Even that SKD penalty to finish, was brought on by a bad missed tackle (Twal?).

However there have been a number of other tight games this year and those we did hold on and close out the match, so it's clear the team can do it, just that you can't expect a side to close out every close game, some are not going to fall for you.

Knights I think were fairly good, Ponga is a weapon with the way he moves and passes, and frankly I think we were over-committed to him when he appeared in the backline.

But 1 or 2 more calls in our favour and we win that game.

The point now is to turn up against Parra and play well, chalk up a win. NRL isn't about not losing IMO, it's about winning the most important and tight games and keeping your team as healthy as possible.

Most sides are going to drop a bunch of games this year, and Knights have 4 wins from 7, not as if they are a poor team.