The Patriot wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:09 pm
TheHawk wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:03 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:54 pm
TheHawk wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:52 pm

Two line breaks and a try tonight, that's a pretty decent contribution to creativity.

He's not used frequently out the back, that shouldn't be a knock on him.

You seem to think im knocking Corey Thompson. Im not.

He just isnt a top class fullback
Definitely not accusing you of that.

What I'm trying to point out though is that in relative terms of what is deemed a good performance of a fullback was achieved by Corey tonight.

It's really a case by case basis in terms of what a different fullback would do for the team. I believe, and I think it's pretty evident by the string of performances this year, that Corey suits the style of play the team plays with. Could it be improved with a player of a higher caliber with a similar skillset like Tuivasa-Sheck in his position? More than likely.

However, I would argue that he's a player who is a NRL fullback, with a market value that you could really take advantage of by using that money usually spent for fullbacks around the rest of the team.
Yeah im kind of just looking at the big picture. From what i see we lack another option.

Thompson goes and fills nofo's spot simple
Fair enough. I personally believe we accentuate Corey's strengths at fullback and mitigate his weaknesses, but I understand your point.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:16 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:10 pm
We didn’t play well tonight but after 6 weeks of high intensity games it’s not unexpected. Newcastle were the better team for all but a 15 minute or so period after halftime. The fact we only lost to a try right at the end of the game says a fair bit about this team - even when they are playing poorly they are right in games. I’m backing them to rebound with an improved performance next week.
So true. Our forwards have been fantastic, but the Knights forwards were in our face. We hung in there and the tide turned but that 3rd try to Sio was the nail in Nofos coffin and eventually our night.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:17 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:12 pm
Brooks is being unfairly judged for dying with the ball. Could have poked it through for a 7 tackle set and died with it 5m out. They should have taken the FG but that was the next best option. Godinet wasn't the best tonight but that SKD penalty was garbage. One Newcastle try was a metre forward and and another looked suss also.

We tried to play the clock and lost though. We should never have coughed up an 8 point lead we were well in control.

Agree with all points
Its an opinion!

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:17 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:51 pm
Geez after 7 weeks we've lost 2 games by a combined 3 points and people want to sack the coach and boot half the team. We weren't good enough tonight - it happens. Newcastle aren't the duds they've been in past years. Some changes maybe but you can only make changes that strengthen the team. No Packer, Lawrence, Reynolds, HIAs galore. It was a tough night. We've got a nice break leading into next round so that will be the test to rebound.
You make some good points Yoss and I agree with your comments about the HIAs and Newcastle's strong play. I also definitely think Packer is a loss. I would never dare criticize Ivan as he's done a superb job with a mediocre roster. In truth we were out enthused and beaten in the ruck tonight. The only player I wish to criticize is Nofo. I've started a thread that focuses on his need to fix his defense - once and for all!

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:21 pm

The injuries & HIAs at crucial times in matches are all beginning to take their toll on this team. Yes we have great depth and that's why we are still competing, but any more injuries to key players will see us struggling to win games. Also, I've never seen a team have so many players having to undergo HIAs during their matches - what the hell!

Miss Packer big time, missed Lawrence tonight and what is it with Liddle always being taken off for big chunks of the game just when we need him most! By all accounts, he passed the HIA, so where the hell was he for the rest of the game? We really needed his spark out of dummy half.

We conceded 5 tries to a nuffy team. They convert even 4 of those tries and we're not even in the contest. The defensive resolve of earlier appears to be waning. It will be interesting to see how we come back from this, it's the first real loss we've had this season. Definitely need our full compliment back and the sooner the better.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:22 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm
southerntiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:55 pm
happy tiger wrote:
TheHawk wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:43 pm
Everyone needs to lay off Brooks for that last tackle option.

In all actuality that is a high percentage last play option at that time of the game. He died with the ball with them having to go 95 metres to score.

The issue was Godinet in SKD's play the ball. Without that penalty everyone praises Brooks for the smart play.
He did the same a couple of weeks ago and everyone supported what he did v Melbourne

When you lose the ruck and the penalty count , your halves won't look pretty

Brooks was pretty good still , a lack of players supporting ball runners was costly , Huth runs 20 odd metres to a one on one with a bloke 20 kgs less and we can't find one player backing up , Huth could of physically taken on Ponga and then offloaded if anyone had been within cooee of him
Great call TheHawk. It was clearly the right play by Brooks. If Godinet hadn't given away a stupid penalty, we would be praising that play by Luke.
Sorry ST , SKD is about 3 metres over the mark and still marching forward

Players need to learn to stand there ground and scream blue murder at refs
I was surprised when the penalty went against us, as it was blatant.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:24 pm

TheHawk wrote:

In all actuality that is a high percentage last play option at that time of the game. He died with the ball with them having to go 95 metres to score.

The issue was Godinet in SKD's play the ball. Without that penalty everyone praises Brooks for the smart play.
Correct
Brooks does the same thing V Melbourne late... We hang on there.

We lost the ruck tonight... We don't dominate in tackles often enough.

Nofo making Sio look like Tuiaki is a droppable offence... See ya nof

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:25 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:21 pm
The injuries & HIAs at crucial times in matches are all beginning to take their toll on this team. Yes we have great depth and that's why we are still competing, but any more injuries to key players will see us struggling to win games. Also, I've never seen a team have so many players having to undergo HIAs during their matches - what the hell!

Miss Packer big time, missed Lawrence tonight and what is it with Liddle always being taken off for big chunks of the game just when we need him most! By all accounts, he passed the HIA, so where the hell was he for the rest of the game? We really needed his spark out of dummy half.

We conceded 5 tries to a nuffy team. They convert even 4 of those tries and we're not even in the contest. The defensive resolve of earlier appears to be waning. It will be interesting to see how we come back from this, it's the first real loss we've had this season. Definitely need our full compliment back and the sooner the better.
Liddle looked to have a shoulder issue prior to the HIA opportunity for a rest arose.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm

Godinet, once again was fine imo. The penalty wasn't dumb. A scrum should have been the call. I reckon Benji, being the leader should have brought us home once we were 8 up. But no, we never close them out. Brooks not going for the ingoal was the safe play. Things didn't work out in the end.... it happens. And I have no problem with the refs. Fair all round I thought. Some decisions both teams had reason to complain about, but I didn't see one team being favoured. Unlike the games is roosters, storm, broncos.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:07 pm
The Queen wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:57 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Didnt Pearce get subbed off for HIA at the end and Knights had no subs left??

Reports are he has torn a pec..
I saw that he did not get a head knock thats cheating like playing with 14 men on the field should never have happen to get a fresh men on not fair
So he got a hih for a pec injury any one have the reply to check it ?

69-05-41

Post by 69-05-41 » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:32 pm

Was Dave Warner managing the interchange/HIA for the tradies?
"It is what it is" - Sharon, 2017

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:40 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:09 pm
TheHawk wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:03 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 7:54 pm
TheHawk wrote:

Two line breaks and a try tonight, that's a pretty decent contribution to creativity.

He's not used frequently out the back, that shouldn't be a knock on him.

You seem to think im knocking Corey Thompson. Im not.

He just isnt a top class fullback
Definitely not accusing you of that.

What I'm trying to point out though is that in relative terms of what is deemed a good performance of a fullback was achieved by Corey tonight.

It's really a case by case basis in terms of what a different fullback would do for the team. I believe, and I think it's pretty evident by the string of performances this year, that Corey suits the style of play the team plays with. Could it be improved with a player of a higher caliber with a similar skillset like Tuivasa-Sheck in his position? More than likely.

However, I would argue that he's a player who is a NRL fullback, with a market value that you could really take advantage of by using that money usually spent for fullbacks around the rest of the team.
Yeah im kind of just looking at the big picture. From what i see we lack another option.

Thompson goes and fills nofo's spot simple
We looked to lack that option for more than half of the game tonight and if not for the short burst of gaining meters after halftime, well, I am pretty sure that many would be saying similar. It is glossed over in the back quarter or so as we were holding out for a potential win, but I was thinking exactly the same for most of the first half and the wind disadvantage highlighted the lack of it.

Have always preferred to have Tui part of the team, but with Esan turning his kicking around amazingly, it limits the reasoning of bringing him back in.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:41 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm
Godinet, once again was fine imo. The penalty wasn't dumb. A scrum should have been the call. I reckon Benji, being the leader should have brought us home once we were 8 up. But no, we never close them out. Brooks not going for the ingoal was the safe play. Things didn't work out in the end.... it happens. And I have no problem with the refs. Fair all round I thought. Some decisions both teams had reason to complain about, but I didn't see one team being favoured. Unlike the games is roosters, storm, broncos.
Agreed on all points.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:44 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:24 pm
TheHawk wrote:

Correct
Brooks does the same thing V Melbourne late... We hang on there.

We lost the ruck tonight... We don't dominate in tackles often enough.

Nofo making Sio look like Tuiaki is a droppable offence... See ya nof
First two comments Ink 1000%

Replay will make interesting viewing , but nofoaluma's only to blame for 1 try from what I saw

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm

Yeah I saw him follow masters and Benji in I think it was for one try... You're right

claws

Post by claws » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:02 pm

If Israel plays, we win. Go Weststigers!

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:02 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:41 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm
Agreed on all points.
Me too.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:03 pm

Nofo isn't totally to blame for every try on his side but there are definitely problems with that side when Nofo is playing.
Benji Esan and Nofo aren't working together, if the inside man rushes in to shutdown the ball the other two are hanging back then getting caught out.
On one occasion it was clearly Benji's mistake flying up and in and getting thin air, but either way Nofos side is an issue and always has been.