Nofo Must Do His Time

stevied

Re: Nofo Must Do His Time

Post by stevied » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm

I've been watching ISP and Fonua does have the occasional mistake in him. However, there is no way that he commits the same number of defensive errors as Nofo. He is also averaging over 200 running metres per game. To be honest, I saw Nofo still making the same misreads while he was in regies so we can't really be surprised that it happens in first grade.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:54 pm

I usually stick up for Nofoaluma but he hasnt really had a big impact on our attack.

Fonua might offer more
Its an opinion!

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:55 pm

stevied wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm
I've been watching ISP and Fonua does have the occasional mistake in him. However, there is no way that he commits the same number of defensive errors as Nofo. He is also averaging over 200 running metres per game. To be honest, I saw Nofo still making the same misreads while he was in regies so we can't really be surprised that it happens in first grade.
If Cleary is serious about selection on form .... Founa has to be given a shot , I was actually surprised that Nofo was brought back in the first place TBH. Unleash the BEAST!

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:06 pm

Hopefully his ISP form translates to NRL....

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm

Nofo has completely outplayed Fonua in every ISP game. Fonua has a long way to go. Lolo would be a better wing option.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:17 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm
Nofo has completely outplayed Fonua in every ISP game. Fonua has a long way to go. Lolo would be a better wing option.
Lolo too slo slo for the wing

Tiger_Pete

Post by Tiger_Pete » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:18 pm

Nofo is a pretty big liability but we have no better alternatives at the moment. Tui is stinking it up in ISP and Fonua can't seem to stop making mistakes.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:28 pm

1. Thompson
2. Naiqama
3. Marsters
4. Lolohea/MCK
5. Fonua

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:08 pm

the space is created on the inside and noffa's issue is he is very stationary in defnese, in all tries you'll just see him strolling until he absolutely has to move, he's always chasing and never puts himself in the position to defend if his winger gets the ball.

however,
sio's tries:
1st try: benji's fault
2nd and 3rd try: not much noffa could've done but he needs to position himself better
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:47 pm

Tough one. Certainly the RHS made some defensive errors tonight as a team, and Nofo was on the receiving end with his man crossing 3 times.

I would say, regardless of decision making, if a guy like Ken Sio scores 3 tries on you, you've had a bad night.

Thing about Nofo, he's the common thread in a tendency to have poor RHS matches. Knights clearly targeted our RHS, even in their last set, they went to their left over and over, then Buhrer's kick to their right shows our left edge has been dragged right in by the previous tackles.

So for how long as the RHS been a major defensive issue of ours? Quite some time. Has it been a consistent problem this year? No. But Marsters only debuted last year and Benji hasn't been here for some seasons; the previous RHS centres were Simona, Frozone and Idris. Moses obviously causing drama on that side for several years as well.

But a common denominator is certainly Nofo.

It's not just that he follows his centre in, because most wingers do, but he has little to no ability to recover when his side is stretched. The other week he managed to push someone into touch in a good effort, but very often he's left scrambling madly because it's not only about making the best decision where to be, but how you react once it's clear you are in a bad position.

Sio's 3rd try, Nofo knows he's beaten by the cutout pass, but rather than turn to face Sio and try and drive him into the corner, he puts his head down and puffs his cheeks and tries to get back to the sideline. By this stage Sio has stepped back inside and now beaten Nofo on his inside shoulder.

In other words, Sio's last try involved getting the ball on the outside of Nofo, then stepping back inside him to stroll over. Not good, even if the lead up involved defensive mistakes from other players.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:08 pm

Let's have a look at these tries then, rather than trying to remember.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:15 pm

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:16 pm

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:25 pm

So I'd say in review:
#1 Benji commits to the dummy, forces Marsters to come in on Ponga, Nofo burst out for Ross and Ponga picks it. Perhaps Nofo can stay out and let the cover take the centre. So I'd say Benji causes the main problem but Marsters and Nofo manage to take nobody, i.e. you need to be faster if you are going to cut players off.

#2 Benji again I reckon, comes in too hard on Pearce, but nobody is sliding... I thought Tigers were a sliding team in 2018 rather than an up-in edge defence? If Benji backs off, Rochow covers the inside and Nofo isn't caught so far inside his sideline. I will say however I feel Nofo is still over-committed here, he doesn't need to be 10 m inside, there's no chance he'll get to his winger if they cut-out. Marsters needs some opportunity to turn and chance, but he'll never reach the winger. Any surprise both these tries are rapid cut-outs, like Knights know Nofo will come in?

#3 Short side, we had the numbers and though Benji gets clipped I don't think he makes a mistake here. Marsters focuses on Pearce (?) but fails to cover it and Nofo only has eyes for Ross. I'm still pretty annoyed that Nofo gets beaten on the inside because he doesn't look at his winger at any time, even in the scramble.

So overall is Nofo just to blame? Certainly not. Problem is for me, the inside defenders are often likely to make a defensive error, because whenever teams run these plays they have an overlap. Thompson on play #3 goes into the line for exactly that reason, because if they pull in the FB or stack some backrowers then you are short-manned. But Nofo turns like the Queen Mary, so even if his inside guys make some tough / wrong reads, he has very little ability to recover, because he comes in too hard.

The cover is rarely going to reach the winger, you need to come up and then slide if you see the have the numbers. Again, we seemed to be playing a lot of up-and-in defence on RHS this evening, which I thought we had started to move away from in 2018.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:28 am

king sirro wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm
Ah, yes, but we are talking about defensive performance in the NRL. Did Nofo outperform Fonua in defense? I doubt it.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:48 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:25 pm
So I'd say in review:
#1 Benji commits to the dummy, forces Marsters to come in on Ponga, Nofo burst out for Ross and Ponga picks it. Perhaps Nofo can stay out and let the cover take the centre. So I'd say Benji causes the main problem but Marsters and Nofo manage to take nobody, i.e. you need to be faster if you are going to cut players off.

#2 Benji again I reckon, comes in too hard on Pearce, but nobody is sliding... I thought Tigers were a sliding team in 2018 rather than an up-in edge defence? If Benji backs off, Rochow covers the inside and Nofo isn't caught so far inside his sideline. I will say however I feel Nofo is still over-committed here, he doesn't need to be 10 m inside, there's no chance he'll get to his winger if they cut-out. Marsters needs some opportunity to turn and chance, but he'll never reach the winger. Any surprise both these tries are rapid cut-outs, like Knights know Nofo will come in?

#3 Short side, we had the numbers and though Benji gets clipped I don't think he makes a mistake here. Marsters focuses on Pearce (?) but fails to cover it and Nofo only has eyes for Ross. I'm still pretty annoyed that Nofo gets beaten on the inside because he doesn't look at his winger at any time, even in the scramble.

So overall is Nofo just to blame? Certainly not. Problem is for me, the inside defenders are often likely to make a defensive error, because whenever teams run these plays they have an overlap. Thompson on play #3 goes into the line for exactly that reason, because if they pull in the FB or stack some backrowers then you are short-manned. But Nofo turns like the Queen Mary, so even if his inside guys make some tough / wrong reads, he has very little ability to recover, because he comes in too hard.

The cover is rarely going to reach the winger, you need to come up and then slide if you see the have the numbers. Again, we seemed to be playing a lot of up-and-in defence on RHS this evening, which I thought we had started to move away from in 2018.
Good analysis

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:02 am

Great post jirskyr.
Every opposition knows to play wide to nofos wing 90% of the time and has for years. Give Fonua a go he can’t be worse
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:18 am

Wow...thanks for the gifs.....Nofoauma should be like a puppy on a leash tethered to the sideline so there can be a 10m gap between him and his inside man for 2 of those TRIES so the opposition back rower or centre to strole through that is obvious ..the other one was a very poor effort on his behalf letting his opposite through....

Once again is he totally faultless NO..but blaming individuals for defensive errors is often the soft way out the pictures tell the story...perhaps that whole right hand side needs to be dropped so they can work on their defensive deficiencies as a UNIT....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..