Game management

Tigerheart_returns
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon 18 May, 2015 7:48 am

Game management

Post by Tigerheart_returns » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:31 pm

I think we still quite haven't got that ability to pin a team on their line and get repeated sets toward the back end of the game - Luke Brooks getting caught in possession is an example of that.
Kick it, chase it and we pin them and most likely win the game. It's a fine art, but not one we can't learn.
A little disappointed in this one that got away, but a good "wake up" call. Let's see how well we bounce back against Parra.


User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:42 pm

I don’t think the option was bad from Luke to give them the ball 5 out. The penalty is what made it a bad decision.

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 12:30 am

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:42 pm
I don’t think the option was bad from Luke to give them the ball 5 out. The penalty is what made it a bad decision.
And truth is it should've been our penalty.

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 12:44 am

It wasn't a bad play to just take the tackle, but having that 50/50 penalty blown really hurt us so late in the game.

Like Benji said we could of played more positive in the last 5 minutes.

The issues we had out wide are hopefully sorted out for our next game, because I was mostly disappointed in that. Not pointing fingers at one person because multiple players made some bad reads.

User avatar
bonstonker
Member
Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 2:14 am
Location: Louisiana,usa

Post by bonstonker » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 6:42 am

we looked ok for 10 mins in that game.
i also don't like huth and taylor starting the game.
i don't like replacing packer with a player like huth who ends up on his back 90% of the time.


but that final 13 mins was horrible on the last tackle.
brooks kicked a nothing kick 25 out that simply handed it back 15m out.
not what you class a bomb.
we didn't touch the ball again until 8 min to go and conceded a try.
it's little things like this that change games every week.
on that next set benji runs it on the last while he did end up putting a kick in,he should have been thinking get to the sideline.
next kick from benji goes dead with 5 to go and a 7 tackle set and luckily we get the ball back 2 tackles later from a knights error.
and then we had brooks deciding he would take the tackle on the last.
brooks has done that in previous games and is probably a team tactic to not give up a 7 tackle set during the final minutes.
or maybe mentally brooks isn't there yet,having the confidence in himself ,which is understandable at this stage of his career,

was disappointing in the lack of touch finders considering how well we had executed slowing the game down late in games previously.

hopefully this is a one off and doesn't become a trend.


Furious1
Member
Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:42 pm

Post by Furious1 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:05 am

The boys were off last night. It's been a real tough start to the year. One team was coming off a great win, the other was flogged and was always going to come out firing. It looked right from the start the Knights played with far more speed and aggression. We struggled to get them on their backs and slow the play the balls. It's hard to be "up" every week in this comp. The real challenge now is how we handle the next few weeks as after Parra i think it's another road trip to NZ?

On a side note, the NRL should use some brains and ban the Knights from ever wearing that kit against us again. Its an absolute joke they continually wear it when we play them, the only team in the comp that has orange in our colours.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27038
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:18 am

Furious1 wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:05 am
The boys were off last night. It's been a real tough start to the year. One team was coming off a great win, the other was flogged and was always going to come out firing. It looked right from the start the Knights played with far more speed and aggression. We struggled to get them on their backs and slow the play the balls. It's hard to be "up" every week in this comp. The real challenge now is how we handle the next few weeks as after Parra i think it's another road trip to NZ?

On a side note, the NRL should use some brains and ban the Knights from ever wearing that kit against us again. Its an absolute joke they continually wear it when we play them, the only team in the comp that has orange in our colours.
I guess they were desperate...

krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am

Post by krayola » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:33 am

bonstonker wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 6:42 am
we looked ok for 10 mins in that game.
i also don't like huth and taylor starting the game.
i don't like replacing packer with a player like huth who ends up on his back 90% of the time.


but that final 13 mins was horrible on the last tackle.
brooks kicked a nothing kick 25 out that simply handed it back 15m out.
not what you class a bomb.
we didn't touch the ball again until 8 min to go and conceded a try.
it's little things like this that change games every week.
on that next set benji runs it on the last while he did end up putting a kick in,he should have been thinking get to the sideline.
next kick from benji goes dead with 5 to go and a 7 tackle set and luckily we get the ball back 2 tackles later from a knights error.
and then we had brooks deciding he would take the tackle on the last.
brooks has done that in previous games and is probably a team tactic to not give up a 7 tackle set during the final minutes.
or maybe mentally brooks isn't there yet,having the confidence in himself ,which is understandable at this stage of his career,

was disappointing in the lack of touch finders considering how well we had executed slowing the game down late in games previously.

hopefully this is a one off and doesn't become a trend.
Totally agree. Where was the settler kick to the sideline that ‘mature’ Benji was doing in the first few rounds. A field goal attempt in one of those last two turns down the field was on the cards too.
One of my sources is Pascoe

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20470
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:42 am

Taking the tackle was fine. Just like it was in round 2. Wasn’t his fault they went 95 metres on the back of a dodgy penalty. He was trusting the defence. And why wouldn’t he, given our defence over the first 7 weeks.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3635
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:47 am

Furious1 wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:05 am
The boys were off last night. It's been a real tough start to the year. One team was coming off a great win, the other was flogged and was always going to come out firing. It looked right from the start the Knights played with far more speed and aggression. We struggled to get them on their backs and slow the play the balls. It's hard to be "up" every week in this comp. The real challenge now is how we handle the next few weeks as after Parra i think it's another road trip to NZ?

On a side note, the NRL should use some brains and ban the Knights from ever wearing that kit against us again. Its an absolute joke they continually wear it when we play them, the only team in the comp that has orange in our colours.
Your side note is a lot more than that for me. I really struggle to believe that they were allowed to wear that crap against us again and especially for our 'home' game.

Nucky Thompson
Member
Member
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:54 am

The tamworth field looked a bit fumy to me the try lime metre looked short and they were making lots of meters than usual.

Not the best idea to bring the game there imo

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1928
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:36 am

We started poor, we ended poor.

Benji was more rocks than diamonds tonight. His Hia didn't help with godinet playing at 7, and et at 9.

I was going to say it last week after watching the isp team play norths - I don't think we the level of depth that we think we have.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27038
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:01 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:47 am
Furious1 wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:05 am
The boys were off last night. It's been a real tough start to the year. One team was coming off a great win, the other was flogged and was always going to come out firing. It looked right from the start the Knights played with far more speed and aggression. We struggled to get them on their backs and slow the play the balls. It's hard to be "up" every week in this comp. The real challenge now is how we handle the next few weeks as after Parra i think it's another road trip to NZ?

On a side note, the NRL should use some brains and ban the Knights from ever wearing that kit against us again. Its an absolute joke they continually wear it when we play them, the only team in the comp that has orange in our colours.
Your side note is a lot more than that for me. I really struggle to believe that they were allowed to wear that crap against us again and especially for our 'home' game.
I don't see the problem when ours is predominantly black

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27038
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:04 am

You should've seen yesterdays Bulldogs/Newtown game.... Blue everywhere including the seats all round the ground and the fencing.
Lots of blue

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 38504
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:06 am

bonstonker wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 6:42 am
we looked ok for 10 mins in that game.
i also don't like huth and taylor starting the game.
i don't like replacing packer with a player like huth who ends up on his back 90% of the time.


but that final 13 mins was horrible on the last tackle.
brooks kicked a nothing kick 25 out that simply handed it back 15m out.
not what you class a bomb.
we didn't touch the ball again until 8 min to go and conceded a try.
it's little things like this that change games every week.
on that next set benji runs it on the last while he did end up putting a kick in,he should have been thinking get to the sideline.
next kick from benji goes dead with 5 to go and a 7 tackle set and luckily we get the ball back 2 tackles later from a knights error.
and then we had brooks deciding he would take the tackle on the last.
brooks has done that in previous games and is probably a team tactic to not give up a 7 tackle set during the final minutes.
or maybe mentally brooks isn't there yet,having the confidence in himself ,which is understandable at this stage of his career,

was disappointing in the lack of touch finders considering how well we had executed slowing the game down late in games previously.

hopefully this is a one off and doesn't become a trend.
One of the big issues when you take games away from home Bon

Smaller in goal areas , harder surfaces and great unknowns with the wind

We tried a few bombs after HT , first few worked and then they went pear shaped

Kicking actually gets harder the closer you are to the opposition line

This might sound nuts , but the two best options when in those situations when you are within the red zone on the last is running the ball on the last or putting a bomb straight up and the kicker runs through to the try line putting everyone on side

You then force the opposing back 3 if they want to attempt to make a play they have to attack the ball while dealing with opposition attackers , secondly with the wind blowing the ball all over the joint it makes positioning yourself so much harder

User avatar
weststigers
Member
Member
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 6:25 pm

Post by weststigers » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:18 am

At the time Brooksy took the tackle. I thought it was a smart play to make them run 95m to score.

Still a smart play in the context of the game - high percentage play.

In hindsight, a kick over the sideline would have been ever better to soak up a few seconds and give us a rest.

In the end, they scored 5 tries to 3 - they deserved the win.

We were flat from the start and never really got on top of them even when we hit the lead.

jojo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:39 am

Post by jojo » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:19 am

I still can't believe there would be another genuine half in the comp that would take that option late in the game when in front. rolling it into the in goal area as first option, roll it into touch and soak the clock as the second option they still have to go 90 metres puts more pressure with time against them, put it up and make a contest of it, again if they take it successfully they still have to run 95m or perhaps there is a knock on, heaven knows SKD hands had been rocks and diamonds all night and perhaps we get a result or take further time of the clock. All better options (and I don't think for a minute it was planned) rather than give it straight back with no contest. And if by some great design Brooks had intended to die with it on the last because he has no confidence in his short kicking game then surely he gets wider and dies 5m out from the touch line so we can jam then into a corner and make it nigh impossible to get out, not centrefield with options both sides to make getting out super easy.
Last edited by jojo on Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4654
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:19 am

What Game management .....plenty of excuses from the Tricky Ricky handbook here , how the hell did they lose that game .Falling 2 points short to make finals well hope not. The decisions in the last 4 minutes were garbage and those executing them should be called out simple!

Post Reply