NRL Team Announcement: Round 8

Milky

Re: NRL Team Announcement: Round 8

Post by Milky » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:37 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:23 pm
This was in the ISP team announcement...

"Drinkwater has been granted a release to take up a full-time playing opportunity with Catalans until the end of this year. At the completion of that deal, the club will have first and last rights to re-sign Drinkwater for the 2019 season and beyond."
Why couldn't we just upgrade him to full time here?

Would have liked to have seen him come off the bench instead of Godinet.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:40 pm

stevied wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:20 pm
No real surprises here. I had a hunch Cleary would stick with the same squad. Obviously the right side defensive issues were attributed to multiple players......
Can't agree with some of them though. Would have had Fonua for Nofualuma, Gamble for Godinet and Felise for Sue but we all think we know better than the coach.....
I just hope that the team lifts their intensity and defends like they have been before last week's effort.
Fonua plays the opposite wing of Nofo, and Gamble has never played hooker, let alone first grade

willow

Post by willow » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:49 pm

Godinet is my only real concern because defensively he is contributing to plenty of missed tackles. Not that he doesn't have a go but he's so small and just doesn't have the strength to bring the big boys to ground. This is why I would prefer McIlwrick as he's a much better middle defender, or even rotate Taylor to 9 allowing a bigger body on the bench like Grant, allowing Huth to play 13.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:52 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:40 pm
stevied wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:20 pm
No real surprises here. I had a hunch Cleary would stick with the same squad. Obviously the right side defensive issues were attributed to multiple players......
Can't agree with some of them though. Would have had Fonua for Nofualuma, Gamble for Godinet and Felise for Sue but we all think we know better than the coach.....
I just hope that the team lifts their intensity and defends like they have been before last week's effort.
Fonua plays the opposite wing of Nofo, and Gamble has never played hooker, let alone first grade
You're right but Cleary must have something in mind, to include Fonua among the reserves and, surely as someone who has played a bit of centre, he could adjust? I wasn't thinking of Gamble as a hooker. Taylor could give Liddle a rest at hooker wth Gamble covering fullback, five eighth or virtually any back line position.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:54 pm

Have we had a game with no injuries yet?

Seems like every week someone is out..

Having Lawrence back is huge, he has been one of our best so far this season.

Glad Liddle is playing was very worried when he didn't come back on last week.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:56 pm

Wow pretty surprised to see Nofo, Godinet and Sue there. They were awful.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm expecting Liddle to play more than 25 minutes this week. Godinet's impact will be limited. Figuratively and literally.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:13 pm

TigerSJ wrote:

"Drinkwater has been granted a release to take up a full-time playing opportunity with Catalans until the end of this year. At the completion of that deal, the club will have first and last rights to re-sign Drinkwater for the 2019 season and beyond."
Fair play to him...he should go alright in England

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:27 pm

A couple of things I have noticed about Ivan's selections....

He only makes calculated changes, causing the least disruption, like for like, and keeps the roles simple without asking players to swap and change roles during a game. He would rather rely on each players fitness and work done in preseason for extra minutes from them rather than bring new untried players in on the bench. For instance, I can't imagine him bringing in Gamble and throwing him in at fullback or centre as some are suggesting.

Ivan choses his 1-17 and rarely changes it unless there's an injury issue. Reserves are just that - chosen for cover in positions that may require back up. McQueen and Fonua recently are being given rewards for them stepping up, so he names them to show them that they are moving into the framework for future selection. Perhaps its his incentive.

Godinet's bench selection ahead of MM or a 4th big forward surprises me, but Ivan must prefer him to fill the role of Liddle over MM, and it seems he wants ET to remain in his starting role and not mess with his forward rotations. Perhaps Godinet shows more ability to do the job at training and can play at half at a pinch of he had to,

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:31 pm

Pretty week up front wthout Packer and Twal.

Chipofftheoldblock

Post by Chipofftheoldblock » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:35 pm

Personally, I would drop Eisenhuth back to the bench (drop Sue) and promote Grant to starting side for the 1st 15-20min and tell him to go hell for leather. Eisenhuth can then do the job of Twal.
I though Eisenhuth was ineffective last week even though he played big minutes. He is more effective on the edge targeting Moses due to his size with players running off him.
Tony Williams will doing exactly that against Brooks this week.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:35 pm

weststigers wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:13 pm
TigerSJ wrote:

Fair play to him...he should go alright in England
I like Quadja.....good luck to him,he is a worker and will do ok over there...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:54 pm

I dont think any players should be axed after that one performance, because the whole team across the field were flat. Dont think anyone performed at their best, and so they should all be given this week to get it right again.
Stands to reason that given the intensity of the style of game they have been playing that they will experience weeks like last week.
Should they play poorly again then wouldnt be surprised if changes occur.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:54 pm

Milky wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:37 pm
TigerSJ wrote:

Why couldn't we just upgrade him to full time here?

Would have liked to have seen him come off the bench instead of Godinet.
They may have someone else in mind :?

rozelle rudy

Post by rozelle rudy » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:55 pm

No Twal, and no report of injury on the NRL or Wests Tigers official sites.

Disciplinary matter? Couldn't be form, not if Jesse Sue has been promoted in preference. Not in ISP either.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:56 pm

Stupid Foxtel reporting Twal dropped to isp cup. Is it so hard for these guys to do a bit of research. If you are not sure why would you assume. We are surrounded by Peanuts (refs, media etc.) is it so hard for people to do their jobs properly.

rozelle rudy

Post by rozelle rudy » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 5:56 pm

No Twal, and no report of injury on the NRL or Wests Tigers official sites.

Disciplinary matter? Couldn't be form, not if Jesse Sue has been promoted in preference. Not in ISP either.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:05 pm

I saw on NRL.com web site team lists, that Twal was out for one week:
"Alex Twal (shoulder, one week) drops out of the team"
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign: