Grit vs Class

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Grit vs Class

Post by beachtiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 9:46 pm

There’s no doubting we have a lot of grit in this team, we showed that in spades not only in this game but the whole season.

However we obviously lack the class that’s needed to be a top flight team.

We were outplayed tonight by a team that has both grit and class and at this stage of our development we just can’t go with those teams. A couple more astute signings and we will get some class to go with the grit but it’s just not there yet.


kingbrooks
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Post by kingbrooks » Thu 17 May, 2018 9:49 pm

No class at all.

Every single one of Penriths backs is head and shoulders above the guy they marked tonight. Can add their entire back row into that as well.

Donald Trump
Member
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Donald Trump » Thu 17 May, 2018 9:50 pm

We played with no grit
Let's make the Tigers great again!

LARDS
Member
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:25 pm

Post by LARDS » Thu 17 May, 2018 9:54 pm

You got to have the grit before you get the class.
We played with plenty of grit by the way.

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Post by beachtiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 9:57 pm

Donald Trump wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:50 pm
We played with no grit
Respectfully disagree, they only scored 2 penalty goals in the second half when we were down to 12 and they had majority of possession.

Not sure what you consider grit but I think they dug in really well to not get blown off the park by 30 or more.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 38504
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:02 pm

Defensively in the last 40 we were great

But we were stupid with the ball beyond belief

Our attack looked 2000-2017 , absolute garbage , no control , no one took control

But we will pay for it next week ,

TimmyB
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 5:53 pm

Post by TimmyB » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:04 pm

Spot on.

The usual suspects will come on and try and pin it on scapegoats. Reality is we came up against a side that was too good for us, almost right across the park. The fact they have Tamou and Kikau coming off the bench says it all imo. We were a rabble but the Panthers turned us into a rabble with relentless play the ball speed and relentless line speed. We did well to keep it to 16.

The two occasions we have come up against top quality teams we have been outclassed. Certainly a disappointing reality but not a disgrace.

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Post by beachtiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:06 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:02 pm
Defensively in the last 40 we were great

But we were stupid with the ball beyond belief

Our attack looked 2000-2017 , absolute garbage , no control , no one took control

But we will pay for it next week ,
Absolutely I think when we got the ball we looked desperate and nobody took control of the team to get as moving into good field position.

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:07 pm

beachtiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:57 pm
Donald Trump wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:50 pm
We played with no grit
Respectfully disagree, they only scored 2 penalty goals in the second half when we were down to 12 and they had majority of possession.

Not sure what you consider grit but I think they dug in really well to not get blown off the park by 30 or more.
Of course we showed grit. Our efforts to repel the Panthers over and again while they were camped in our quarter the whole second half showed grit, bravery, resoluteness, what ever you want to call it and a lot of it. Unfortunately, much of this defence could have been avoided if it weren't for the constant frittering away of the little possession we had.

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1764
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by Boonboon2 » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:07 pm

Plenty of grit

Our completion rate was good, our defence is great but agree we lack class

We need a quality fullback and Liddle needs to play more minutes but he needs a full off season before he can given he hasn't had one

Benji was really poor again tonight in key moments- passed to Masters on the 5th with nowhere to go twice and one lead to a Pennies try, another poor chip kick down the side and just generally took poor options.

We have money and spots so A big centre on the other side to Masters, a class fullback and Reynolds into 5/8

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:08 pm

beachtiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:46 pm
There’s no doubting we have a lot of grit in this team, we showed that in spades not only in this game but the whole season.

However we obviously lack the class that’s needed to be a top flight team.

We were outplayed tonight by a team that has both grit and class and at this stage of our development we just can’t go with those teams. A couple more astute signings and we will get some class to go with the grit but it’s just not there yet.
Agree with this summation. We simply don't have the cattle to be a true contender yet.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2658
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:10 pm

beachtiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:46 pm
There’s no doubting we have a lot of grit in this team, we showed that in spades not only in this game but the whole season.

However we obviously lack the class that’s needed to be a top flight team.

We were outplayed tonight by a team that has both grit and class and at this stage of our development we just can’t go with those teams. A couple more astute signings and we will get some class to go with the grit but it’s just not there yet.
Good summation of where we are it in the rebirth of the WTs. The team never through it in and there is a good platform upon which to build a team which will challenge the best.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:12 pm

100% agree with this. We showed plenty of grit tonight in defence. We were poor in attack and clearly lacking a settling head out there. We don’t have a game breaker but I think we are building a decent squad.

Joel_Caine_Fan_82
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:58 pm

Post by Joel_Caine_Fan_82 » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:18 pm

stevied wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:08 pm
beachtiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 9:46 pm
There’s no doubting we have a lot of grit in this team, we showed that in spades not only in this game but the whole season.

However we obviously lack the class that’s needed to be a top flight team.

We were outplayed tonight by a team that has both grit and class and at this stage of our development we just can’t go with those teams. A couple more astute signings and we will get some class to go with the grit but it’s just not there yet.
Agree with this summation. We simply don't have the cattle to be a true contender yet.
well unless the cap is gonna double we have spent most of it so outside of maybe one player this is the team for the next 2 seasons

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Post by beachtiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:21 pm

I don’t want to single players out but I think Corey Thompson epitomises our team at the moment, so much heart and tenacity but does not have real attacking flair.

He can finish off a set play and defend like a demon but adds minimal to our attack. Would love to see him on a wing with a quality attacking, ball playing fullback chiming in.

We look one dimensional in attack and unfortunately with Benji dropping off week after week our opposition knows pretty much every attacking raid is coming from Brooks.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1928
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:35 pm

We played with grit. That second half defence was great, a performance I applaud.

As stated by others we didn't take our chances when we had possession.

We do absolutely lack some talent, we need a 6 who can play off brooks, a full back and fix the backrow, minor tweak to the backline, a couple of impact forwards off the bench... Have I forgotten anything

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Fri 18 May, 2018 10:54 am

beachtiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:21 pm
I don’t want to single players out but I think Corey Thompson epitomises our team at the moment, so much heart and tenacity but does not have real attacking flair.

He can finish off a set play and defend like a demon but adds minimal to our attack. Would love to see him on a wing with a quality attacking, ball playing fullback chiming in.

We look one dimensional in attack and unfortunately with Benji dropping off week after week our opposition knows pretty much every attacking raid is coming from Brooks.
Thompson is also dependable with a near flawless game. Tui might provide what you are looking for.

I thought last night we needed more offloads to stick a break or a 40 20. Every time they tried something and error came so they went back to one out hit ups.
We have a team who can offload but their is rarely support.
Also Penrith were much better than they have been last few weeks. But one line break could have changed the game. In the SH we only recieved a penalty with a few minutes to go while Penrith had a few to give them field position. So the game developed into us rucking it out and they attacking and we held a good team out. This is where a support player running off an offload could have changed things. But while Penrith had many in support and took the low down offloads we rarely had anyone in support and when we did he fumbled it.
We weren't that far off.
Some changes need to be made.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2147
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 11:01 am

Their line speed was unbelievable they were on our guys before we could get anything going.
Plus we did a lot of DUMB things there last night, played dumb footy.
Our kicking game was bad, but that's what happens when you have the 5th tackle in the attacking 40, bomb and pray.

Post Reply