It Takes Longer then a year to Rebuild a Club

Eddie

It Takes Longer then a year to Rebuild a Club

Post by Eddie » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:22 pm

This is not a negative post. We have played really good, honest footy this year.

We just lack speed and power which is what the top sides have.

I thought at the start of the year we had the worst roster in the comp talent wise but had decent depth. I thought we would run 2nd last so I'm really happy how we have gone. I still think we can get 10-12 wins (max)

Even tonight previous Tigers sides would have given up 40.

We are 3 class signings gins away from being a really good side.

Nathan Cleary, a fullback and a strike forward.

Im confident we might have all those by 2020.

Hold tight, good foundations are being laid this year. However finals football is unlikely with this side.

Like Cleary side sometimes you signs players for 2-3 years to build a culture. Then you get your Salary Cap in a Space where you can really strike in the market. You can't turn a club like us around totally in a year.
Last edited by Eddie on Thu 17 May, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stevied

Post by stevied » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:24 pm

This is the same theme as the 'Grit v Class' thread.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:27 pm

Not sure we won't play finals footy this season Eddie......Abit of tinkering from IC and we can make it. Should thrive thru the origin period this season and our finish is ok the last month. Hopefully he sees his flaws in his selections.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:33 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:27 pm
Not sure we won't play finals footy this season Eddie......Abit of tinkering from IC and we can make it. Should thrive thru the origin period this season and our finish is ok the last month. Hopefully he sees his flaws in his selections.
You can't blame Cleary for what happened out their tonight

Fatigue induced panic I think , but they need to be smarter and someone needed to lay down the law for them out there , give them a right bullocking

Complete a bloody set , get back in the grind , give yourself a bloody chance , you can't win a game without the ball

Simple , isn't it

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:36 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:33 pm
maxxy86 wrote:

Fatigue induced panic I think , but they need to be smarter and someone needed to lay down the law for them out there , give them a right bullocking

Complete a bloody set , get back in the grind , give yourself a bloody chance , you can't win a game without the ball

Simple , isn't it
Well I think there were some dumb selections tonight. MCK at centre is a prime example
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:39 pm

With pretty much a new team we doing so well. I didn’t have high expectations for this year and seen it as a re build with so many new players. We’ve also been cruelled by injuries. Missing packer killed us. Not having Reynolds is really hurting and liddle doesn’t look 100%. Our man of the match is dropped from last week. But as you point out the foundations are being built by a decent coAch and this will lead to bigger and better things moving forward. If we can just beat the bulldogs next week , then I can count this year as successful regardless of what happens after that.

the third

Post by the third » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:44 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:36 pm
happy tiger wrote:
maxxy86 wrote:

Simple , isn't it
Well I think there were some dumb selections tonight. MCK at centre is a prime example
I’m not a fan of mck tonight but I don’t see what choice we had. IC gave him a shot and he tried too hard. Shows what everyone knows...we need a centre. The isp:boys should see the chance, play well when you get the chance. Bare minimum is a shot at a dogs contract :x :lol: :lol:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:45 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:36 pm
happy tiger wrote:
maxxy86 wrote:

Simple , isn't it
True , pity Fonua didn't show up to training on time

Wasn't having a shot Maxxy , I think we can still show up in September , but the side just needed to think tonight , Cleary wouldn't have told them to play like that

Post match presser will be interesting

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:45 pm

Eddie wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:22 pm
This is not a negative post. We have played really good, honest footy this year.

We just lack speed and power which is what the top sides have.

I thought at the start of the year we had the worst roster in the comp talent wise but had decent depth. I thought we would run 2nd last so I'm really happy how we have gone. I still think we can get 10-12 wins (max)

Even tonight previous Tigers sides would have given up 40.

We are 3 class signings gins away from being a really good side.

Nathan Cleary, a fullback and a strike forward.

Im confident we might have all those by 2020.

Hold tight, good foundations are being laid this year. However finals football is unlikely with this side.

Like Cleary side sometimes you signs players for 2-3 years to build a culture. Then you get your Salary Cap in a Space where you can really strike in the market. You can't turn a club like us around totally in a year.
A really good post Eddie - couldn't agree more.

The Tigers are not only rebuilding a football team, they are rebuilding a culture and that takes time. 12 months ago we would have had 7-8 tries put on us. Tonight we showed determination. We obviously lack class but the right attitude can make up for some of that. I predicted we would finish between eighth and tenth at the start of the year and I still believe we can sneak into the finals.

I was really proud of their effort tonight

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:00 pm

I’m definitely one looking at the long term goal for this club. We have build a solid foundation and now need to build our next few tiers to become a powerhouse. I believe if Ivan sticks around we could have some sustained success and potentially grow into a big club. I’m still thinking we are a shot at finals this year but it will be a fight to get in there.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:03 pm

We’ll still make the 8. Just another wacky week on the this bipolar forum.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:07 pm

I dont think its bipolar.

I think most people are realistic about what this team can do.

I dont want to speak for the majority but I think most can see progress as a club.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:15 pm

The effort is there but there are some sides we don't match up well against, Penrith being one of them. Marshall has been poor for a few weeks now, but it's going to be shown up more often when your forward pack gets bent over through the ruck like tonight. We can't make wholesale changes to the team, but the selections probably need to be planned a bit better depending on the opposition.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:19 pm

Penrith played well tonight when in possession. They had go forward. We looked good when we were moving forward.

Brooks only had Laurence running decent lines on the left.

Benji chocked any play on the right.

I thought Nofoaluma had a good game.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:22 pm

willow wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 11:15 pm
The effort is there but there are some sides we don't match up well against, Penrith being one of them. Marshall has been poor for a few weeks now, but it's going to be shown up more often when your forward pack gets bent over through the ruck like tonight. We can't make wholesale changes to the team, but the selections probably need to be planned a bit better depending on the opposition.
Souths ,Canberra fit that bill as well Willow

Games we need to win for the top 8 :shock:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:23 pm

I also think there are games in 2018 that get away from you. Cummins crippled tonight's match with the amount and timing of penalties, a really strong ref involvement where it was not required.

Penrith saw off our 10 in the bin then came over the top of us, but still themselves couldn't quite get their own rhythm together in the second half.

Penrith are a legitimate Top 4 side IMO with a full roster, but also it just seems there are some games that if you make mistakes at the wrong time the win can fall away from you, even if you stick with it. I mean, 14 points isn't a flogging and as noted in years gone by it could have been 40 points, but we weren't in the match after about 60 mins down.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:35 pm

We have a number of players and plodders and just won’t be able to compete every week so long as they’re around. Eisenhuth. MWZ. Sue. These are not first graders.
Benji HAS to be benched or left out.
I thought Rochow was a solid option, but offers nothing. Ever.
And Brooks. The new league and forum love child.... is so overrated. So predictable. He still can’t kick. He throws forward passes every week. He has practically zero creativity. I don’t get the love-in for a guy who has two good games a year for the last 5 years.
I don’t know if it will take a year or ten, but with him we are rudderless. He isn’t a general like a 7 needs to be. Unless he is replaced we will always have bad 5th tackle options and a rubbish kicking game. I have no faith whatsoever with him there. Get N Cleary already.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:49 pm

We have been re building since 2006....enough already..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...