'It's hard to watch:' Reynolds' set for bittersweet return against Dogs

willow

Post by willow » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:38 pm

By Christian Nicolussi
19 May 2018 — 12:22pm

As he gets ready to return from injury against his childhood club, Josh Reynolds says he has taken no joy in seeing the Bulldogs struggle. Reynolds was squeezed out of Canterbury and quickly signed to the Wests Tigers on a mega four-year deal that crushed fans of the family club. The Dogs faithful showed how much the man nicknamed 'Grub' meant to them when they quickly mobbed him in his final game at spiritual home Belmore Oval.

Reynolds missed the first five games for the Tigers with a hamstring injury, then lasted less than half an hour in his only appearance for the club before he injured his shoulder against Manly. While "itching" to return, Reynolds still has a soft spot for his former club, lives with Dogs five-eighth Matt Frawley, and even planned to spend Sunday afternoon watching the Dogs try and register just their fourth win of the season at Shark Park. "I'm not going to put the boot into them, and I know how hard it is to play week in, week out,'' Reynolds told Fairfax Media. "When you can't get that win, it's hard.

"They haven't been embarrassed and the effort is still there. It's hard to watch because you want your friends to go well. It sucks. It can be a rollercoaster, but they'll be back at some stage. They'll be sweet. "You don't lose mates because you swap teams. "I might have to split the house with him [Frawley] during the week. "There will be some banter. We'll have a laugh afterwards. We'll have another laugh about it in another 10 years. "I just want to get back out there. Whether it's the Dogs or anyone, I'm just over being on the sideline. I want to play some footy and be a part of it."

Reynolds' first contact session was on Friday afternoon when he joined the Tigers reserve grade team for their captain's run. One player keen for his return is Benji Marshall, who knows first hand what the emotions are like when playing against your former club for the first time. Marshall did it with St George Illawarra after returning to the NRL after a stint in Super Rugby. "We need his energy and the competitiveness he brings,'' Marshall said. "I'm really feeling for him, especially after his last injury and playing only 30 minutes and then being out another six weeks. "Anyone who knows him knows he's bouncing off walls already. "Playing against your old club will be a little emotional for him. It was weird for me when I first played against the Tigers, a club I'd been at for so long and then I'm back to play against my mates. "He wants to come back and contribute, and we need him.''

The Tigers remain in the top eight, but were flat and made too many errors with the ball in their 16-2 loss to Penrith. Marshall said his body was holding up well, despite coming into the season without playing any pre-season trials and the expectation of playing limited minutes off the bench behind Reynolds and Luke Brooks. "I've probably played more minutes this year than I have the past two years, and your body gets used to playing week in and week out,'' Marshall said. "I wish I could have contributed more against Penrith, I thought I was good last weekend [against North Queensland], so I just need to pick it up a bit.'' Where Reynolds plays will be another issue for coach Ivan Cleary, with Marshall and Brooks clicking in the halves. Jacob Liddle and Elijah Taylor are also now sharing the dummy-half role. Reynolds was praised for his enthusiasm and effort over the summer and was made one of the joint venture's five captains before playing for the club.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:56 pm

HELP.... :sign:

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat 19 May, 2018 11:37 pm

I'd give Reynolds a run in ISP I don't care we're playing the dogs he needs minutes at 5/8 so when he's up to speed he can take over from Marshall. We can't carry grub as a hooker like we did against Manly he isn't up to it.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 12:26 am

I like the guy, but I'm fast getting sick of his pining for his mates and his old club.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 11:49 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 12:26 am
I like the guy, but I'm fast getting sick of his pining for his mates and his old club.
I just think he gets continually asked about it. It's sad, but he was incredibly passionate for their club for a very long time and when you wear your heart on your sleeve in that fashion, journos are going to look into it. But I wouldn't question his passion for us, he's been aching to play footy for us since the back end of last season, just been unlucky.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 11:51 am

jrtiger wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 11:49 am
Doc Tiger wrote:
I just think he gets continually asked about it. It's sad, but he was incredibly passionate for their club for a very long time and when you wear your heart on your sleeve in that fashion, journos are going to look into it. But I wouldn't question his passion for us, he's been aching to play footy for us since the back end of last season, just been unlucky.
Bulldogs are the hot topic so every reporter brings it up to Reynolds.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 11:53 am

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 11:51 am
jrtiger wrote:
Sun 20 May, 2018 11:49 am
Doc Tiger wrote:
Bulldogs are the hot topic so every reporter brings it up to Reynolds.
Exactly, and given his history it's a given they're going to ask questions. I'm sure if you had asked him his thoughts on how we were playing then he'd have more to say on the situation then he would the dogs.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 21 May, 2018 6:23 pm

JOSH Reynolds is preparing for an emotional showdown against former NRL club Canterbury on Sunday after overcoming a shoulder injury.

Steve Zemek

JOSH Reynolds is preparing for an emotional showdown against former NRL club Canterbury on Sunday after overcoming a shoulder injury.

The Wests Tiger marquee recruit is set to play his second game for the joint venture after an injury interrupted start to 2018.

Reynolds departed his junior club at the end of last year after the Bulldogs were unable to match the Tigers’ big money four-year deal.

His first season for the Tigers is off to a rocky start after managing less than 30 minutes of game time because of injury.

He missed the first five rounds with a hamstring problem before going down with a shoulder injury against Manly.

He had his first contact session with the side last week and trained strongly on Monday, ahead of Sunday’s clash with the club he grew up supporting as a kid and played 138 NRL games for across seven seasons.

“He hasn’t said too much about it but I think deep down it’s a game he definitely wanted to get back for,” teammate Luke Brooks said.

“It will be a bit weird for him, playing a lot of games at the Dogs.

“I think he’ll bring a lot of energy, he’s that sort of player. You see when he comes on he’s bouncing around and ready to go. I think that’s what we need in our side.”

Reynolds is known to wear his heart on his sleeve and the former NSW Origin half has at times run into trouble during his career after letting his feelings get the better of him.

While he’s mellowed over the past few years, his passion for the Dogs is plain to see.

Last year he was chaired off Belmore Sports Ground after being mobbed by the Bulldogs faithful.

Sunday’s clash is littered with riveting storylines — Benji Marshall facing off against his half brother Jeremy Marshall-King for the first time while former Tigers skipper Aaron Woods comes up against his old side.

However it’s arguable that Reynolds will have most eyes on him.

“It might be hard coming up against some of his old teammate,” Brooks said when asked how Reynolds will temper his emotions this week.

“If he comes on and plays with that energy and is around the ball, he’ll be good for us.”