Can Reynolds make a difference?

jirskyr

Can Reynolds make a difference?

Post by jirskyr » Mon 21 May, 2018 8:35 pm

A lot of commentary around our losses lately are less about the defence and more about the attack. Both Benji and Brooks have seen their form fall away recently, not just with a forward pack that he been dominated a few times, but with their tactical kicking, team kick-chase and direct options / running.

Grub comes back in this week and it just so happens that he's probably the better short kicker, kick chaser and direct runner of the 3 halves on offer.

Can he make a difference?

We opened the season with Benji at #6 as a backup option, then he basically played himself into the first-choice in the role. But Cleary has shown he is very willing to use the depth in the roster for anyone not achieving their on-field goals, and in the halves we have 4 legitimate options, including those 3 and Lolo, plus a young fellow in Gamble.

We managed 6-5 with our backup five-eighth, so can we be a better team if Grub is #6?

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 21 May, 2018 8:55 pm

To me it doesnt matter. All that matters is that Benji sits a bit. If that happens we end up with both Reynolds and Marshall on an equal standing.

From there we can build something.
Its an opinion!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 21 May, 2018 8:59 pm

Last time I saw Reynolds with any serious time on the field was the trial, he was very loose...playing his own game.
I have my doubts about what he can provide for us...hope to be proven wrong...win the ruck and we can judge

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:04 pm

Jirskyr,I think you are on the money in regard to Grub,Benji was always going to be the second string playmaker to Grub and Brooks,however,injury struck early to Grub and Ivan had to use Benj for a full eighty minute playmaker...
All is not lost,even though many are being completely negative about Reynolds and calling him the next Ballin..he will offer this team a substantial amount of go forward and enthusiasm..I for one cant wait until Grub and Liddle are fully fit...
This team has shown in the losses, they have had a great deal of resilience, not seen from our team for many years..I believe the team will have more wins coming their way when Ivans full complement of FG players are on the park at the one time..
This is only my opinion,but having said that,blind freddy can see how much this team plays for each other and have given for the full 80 even though they have been on the back foot for the last few games...as I said in another thread,they are trying to hard and once they start to panic they lose control of the situation and make some clinical errors that comes with panicking..Ivan will straighten them out,I have no doubt about that..

As for people calling for heads like Rochow,Godinet etc,they have been called up to do a job....they have done it to their best ability,even though they may not be NRL standard,they have given their best and should be commended and acknowledged for their efforts,this team is much better placed atm than most expected for this season,for that effort they should be applauded..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:11 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 8:59 pm
Last time I saw Reynolds with any serious time on the field was the trial, he was very loose...playing his own game.
I have my doubts about what he can provide for us...hope to be proven wrong...win the ruck and we can judge
X2

And his cardio is way off.
Wouldn't make it through a half for mine.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:18 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 9:04 pm
Jirskyr,I think you are on the money in regard to Grub,Benji was always going to be the second string playmaker to Grub and Brooks,however,injury struck early to Grub and Ivan had to use Benj for a full eighty minute playmaker...
All is not lost,even though many are being completely negative about Reynolds and calling him the next Ballin..he will offer this team a substantial amount of go forward and enthusiasm..I for one cant wait until Grub and Liddle are fully fit...
This team has shown in the losses, they have had a great deal of resilience, not seen from our team for many years..I believe the team will have more wins coming their way when Ivans full complement of FG players are on the park at the one time..
This is only my opinion,but having said that,blind freddy can see how much this team plays for each other and have given for the full 80 even though they have been on the back foot for the last few games...as I said in another thread,they are trying to hard and once they start to panic they lose control of the situation and make some clinical errors that comes with panicking..Ivan will straighten them out,I have no doubt about that..

As for people calling for heads like Rochow,Godinet etc,they have been called up to do a job....they have done it to their best ability,even though they may not be NRL standard,they have given their best and should be commended and acknowledged for their efforts,this team is much better placed atm than most expected for this season,for that effort they should be applauded..
I’d never call him another Ballin.
Ballin didn’t have brain farts. when he was playing. At Manly.
I can’t vouch for anything while he was here as no one saw enough of him,

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:25 pm

Demps wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 9:11 pm
innsaneink wrote:
X2

last time he had a hammy issue which would of inhibited his fitness level on return ,the last injury was a shoulder I would be confident that his fitness would be up to scratch this time round .

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:30 pm

Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
X2

Agree - hasnt played much footy for a long time.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:32 pm

Telltails wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 9:30 pm
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
X2

Yep,

Ballin 2.0
Knew he had bad hammys and is pushing 30... Signed him anyway.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:43 pm

Not sure how many minutes he will see, but most likely come from the bench to replace Liddle.

Keep an eye on him when he is on the bench he looks like he is about to flip a table and go nuclear.

Hope he has a good game and no injuries.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:46 pm

I think he'll be more of a hindrance than anything...
Hope I'm proven wrong ..
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:53 pm

Telltails wrote:
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
X2

x3 .. last time we had Grub on the paddock he lasted only 20 mins out of his allocated 30. Of which after the first 10 mins he was puffing and blowing harder than cyclone Tracey did some 30 odd years ago. Here's hoping he's been secretly doing some hard yard in the sand hills with rockstar Ronnie Palmer, if he hasn't and he comes on with 110% energy and hype, he'll burst a pop-off valve in the first 15 .. !! Because of this I can see us going into the game with 2 forwards, a utility player in MCK, and carrying Benji on the bench. More than likely though Benji will start and Grub will come on off the bench. Not exactly the best idea to go into a game against the Dogs with only 2 real forwards on your bench.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:59 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 9:53 pm
Telltails wrote:
Demps wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
X2

x3 .. last time we had Grub on the paddock he lasted only 20 mins out of his allocated 30. Of which after the first 10 mins he was puffing and blowing harder than cyclone Tracey did some 30 odd years ago. Here's hoping he's been secretly doing some hard yard in the sand hills with rockstar Ronnie Palmer, if he hasn't and he comes on with 110% energy and hype, he'll burst a pop-off valve in the first 15 .. !! Because of this I can see us going into the game with 2 forwards, a utility player in MCK, and carrying Benji on the bench. More than likely though Benji will start and Grub will come on off the bench. Not exactly the best idea to go into a game against the Dogs with only 2 real forwards on your bench.
Possibly , I'd like to see him concentrate on contributing with his defence , lots of talk , and really trying to bob up everywhere and providing heaps of support to any possible line breaks , especially Liddle getting out of dummy half

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 21 May, 2018 10:03 pm

Simple answer is... No.
#Unbeatable

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Mon 21 May, 2018 10:14 pm

hobbo wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 9:46 pm
I think he'll be more of a hindrance than anything...
Hope I'm proven wrong ..
Yeah - I think there is a danger he will try too hard and end up making mistakes. I suspect he will be a work in progress for 2-3 weeks.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:06 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 8:35 pm
A lot of commentary around our losses lately are less about the defence and more about the attack. Both Benji and Brooks have seen their form fall away recently, not just with a forward pack that he been dominated a few times, but with their tactical kicking, team kick-chase and direct options / running.

Grub comes back in this week and it just so happens that he's probably the better short kicker, kick chaser and direct runner of the 3 halves on offer.

Can he make a difference?

We opened the season with Benji at #6 as a backup option, then he basically played himself into the first-choice in the role. But Cleary has shown he is very willing to use the depth in the roster for anyone not achieving their on-field goals, and in the halves we have 4 legitimate options, including those 3 and Lolo, plus a young fellow in Gamble.

We managed 6-5 with our backup five-eighth, so can we be a better team if Grub is #6?
I bloody well hope so, else his signing will be on par with the long and expensive Farah extension arranged by the Grange giver.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:23 pm

I’d like to see Grub come on and replace Benji, I want to see how he plays alongside Brooks, not at hooker...where his service was mediocre

willow

Post by willow » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:57 pm

Hard to say. His match fitness won't count for much, but his presence might...