Don't love the change at fullback

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Don't love the change at fullback

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 6:51 pm

He's had his kick in the pants, Perform now or it's pretty much over for him at fb I reckon.


Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed 17 May, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Balmainbred » Wed 23 May, 2018 6:57 pm

Yep I’m with you Geo switch them between defence and attack plenty of other sides have done it with results.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6364
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Wed 23 May, 2018 6:59 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 5:14 pm
People questioning his fitness is as certain as the sun rising in the east. It’s getting pretty boring.
Well then maybe Tui should break out of a canter and it might stop :o
Go hard or go home

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5476
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 6:59 pm

Some people just don't get it at times...Tui was told FB was his to take,he was very good until injury struck and it affected his playing style...yes it was noticeable and people said he was going backward and hopeless...nobody knows better than Ivan,and do you think Ivan said to himself..hey I think I will play Tui just for the sake of it...NO Ivan would have been watching Tuis rehab progress and his form back on the field before he made a decision to play him...
You should all know that Ivan is the best coach we have had for years and his decisions have given us the start for the year....have faith,if things don't work out then Ivan will wield the axe....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:00 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 6:51 pm
He's had his kick in the pants, Perform now or it's pretty much over for him at fb I reckon.
Pretty much over for him in first grade at the Tigers. He is not getting picked ahead of Reynolds and Benji.


User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:35 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:00 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 6:51 pm
He's had his kick in the pants, Perform now or it's pretty much over for him at fb I reckon.
Pretty much over for him in first grade at the Tigers. He is not getting picked ahead of Reynolds and Benji.
I don't know if Benji will have of a role once grub is fit. And I think Lolo offers more as a utility.

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:40 pm

willow wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 5:13 pm
Thompson can feel hard done by, he's been very safe and has saved a few tries, he knows how to position himself well defensively. For Lolohea to be successful, he simply has to run more, no point in having him at fullback if he's just going to meander around back there, but I suspect Cleary is looking for that extra ballplaying option in the offensive line, so he needs to deliver here.
We need a goal kicker. Lolohea provides that. Having said that I have been most impressed with Thompson. He is faster and more deceptive than I first thought and solid in defence.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

bbobb
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 7:47 pm

Post by bbobb » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:44 pm

Eddie wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 3:01 pm
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.
The modern fullback is seen as a ball player and as much as Thompson has been safe and runs well, that isn't a facet of his game. For mine, Tui is fast becoming an enigma able to produce glimpses of brilliance mixed with quite lazy play. I think Coach Cleary realises that our attack is limited and is possibly looking to create more opportunities with Tui.

While not wanting to be flamed, I see Tui as a centre. I think his body shape, explosive running and ability to position an outside player make him an ideal fit - all without the pressure of five-eight or the running of a fullback. It would allow him to inject himself when he saw opportunity.


Masters to back row and Tui to centre would be worth looking at imho.

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:45 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:35 pm
upthetigers wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:00 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 6:51 pm
He's had his kick in the pants, Perform now or it's pretty much over for him at fb I reckon.
Pretty much over for him in first grade at the Tigers. He is not getting picked ahead of Reynolds and Benji.
I don't know if Benji will have of a role once grub is fit. And I think Lolo offers more as a utility.
I attribute some of the early round wins to Benji. I think he will still have a role to play when grub is fit. It's just that the 80 minute grind has caught up with him a bit although I don't think he was too bad against the Cowboys.

User avatar
joelw2002
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 1:27 am
Location: Campbelltown

Post by joelw2002 » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:46 pm

I do like Corey Thompson at Fullback. But I definitely think he's more of winger, hopefully Tui can finally come good so we can stick with Thompson on the wing. We're really lacking good wingers, Nofo just isn't fast or anything he just makes strong runs and good hit ups, I think he's more of a centre. And MWZ just isn't fast, nor makes good metres.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:49 pm

If you dont like Tui at 1 blame Benji at 6.

He has been picked to offer some ball playing at the back. It is badly needed and might even help the halves.

Thompson will still be 100% Thompson on the wing.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Wed 23 May, 2018 8:47 pm

Like most people, I was shocked by the promotion of Tui.
1. Tui's form in ISP has not justified a recall. He still lacks speed and penetration and has regularly fallen off tackles.
2. Thompson's form, especially in defense and under the high ball, has been superb all year.
I disagree with people who say he is more of a five eighth than fullback. In his golden year at the Warriors in 2016, he excelled in both positions but was absolutely spectacular at fullback where he displayed blinding speed and exceptional footwork. He was also a solid last line of defence. We all hoped that Tui would rediscover this form but, sadly it hasn't eventuated, whether due to injuries or his lack of commitment to conditioning.
There must be something else behind this. He hasn't shown much in the way of ball play in regies so why would it miraculously eventuate in first grade??

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 8:52 pm

I just hope that he catches the ball on the full, not let it bounce and stare at it like everyone has done the last few games.

Tigrr
Member
Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:14 pm

Post by Tigrr » Wed 23 May, 2018 9:01 pm

I find it hilarious that a 22 year old professional footballer like Tui would be as unfit and slow as he was last year, then after a supposedly tough pre season he is still the same but now with some mystery injury. He is either injured or fit and ready to play, cant be both ?

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Wed 23 May, 2018 9:07 pm

Saw Tui at the Leichhardt game. He looks great, just total internet and forum rubbish this unfit thing.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29290
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 23 May, 2018 9:30 pm

Tigrr wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 9:01 pm
I find it hilarious that a 22 year old professional footballer like Tui would be as unfit and slow as he was last year, then after a supposedly tough pre season he is still the same but now with some mystery injury. He is either injured or fit and ready to play, cant be both ?
He had a knee injury... No mystery

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 23 May, 2018 10:32 pm

stevied wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 8:47 pm
Like most people, I was shocked by the promotion of Tui.
1. Tui's form in ISP has not justified a recall. He still lacks speed and penetration and has regularly fallen off tackles.
2. Thompson's form, especially in defense and under the high ball, has been superb all year.
I disagree with people who say he is more of a five eighth than fullback. In his golden year at the Warriors in 2016, he excelled in both positions but was absolutely spectacular at fullback where he displayed blinding speed and exceptional footwork. He was also a solid last line of defence. We all hoped that Tui would rediscover this form but, sadly it hasn't eventuated, whether due to injuries or his lack of commitment to conditioning.
There must be something else behind this. He hasn't shown much in the way of ball play in regies so why would it miraculously eventuate in first grade??
HE’s been flippen injured!!! How many times does it have to be stated.
He’s not lazy
He’s not overweight
He’s not unmotivated
HE HAS BEEN INJURED :brick:
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

AnnandaleTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri 31 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 10:36 pm

He didn’t shut up at the back in isp

Post Reply