851 wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:16 pm
upthetigers wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:13 pm
851 wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:10 pm
upthetigers wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm
In horse racing terms, he should be put down. Mbye can't come soon enough.
That is harsh, but he has had plenty of chances and failed to deliver.
You'd think he show a bit more ticker for someone that is basically on his last chance.
That is the thing that makes me mad, how does he have so many supporters here when he doesn't even try, he is lazy, and on form useless
Considering it is only his 4th first grade game for us this year , I was reasonably happy. I did not see terribly much from the opposition fullback that everybody raves about and are prepared to spend overs on.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:49 pm

Besides the howler before halftime, he was fine. Poor guy will always be held to a higher standard for some reason.

Post by 851 » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:51 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:49 pm
Besides the howler before halftime, he was fine. Poor guy will always be held to a higher standard for some reason.
He is lazy and out of position a hell of lot of time, whether it is fitness I don't know, but he had his backside covered a few times today by other players.
Go hard or go home

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:04 pm

Interesting critique so far. Seems his flaws are overshadowing his subtle touches.

Regardless, we've won every game he's played so he's offering something that some may not easily see...

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:07 pm

Positioning is his issue. He needs to learn to be a fullback at this stage he is not there yet. I’m a big fan of Tui’s and hope he succeeds but he has a lot to learn as a fullback

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:12 pm

Not sure why he wasnt kicking its very clear masters should be hooked with kicking duties

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:14 pm

Reminds me of the "6 Million Dollar Man"
Everything he did today was in Slow Motion

Ivan cleary

Post by Ivan cleary » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:16 pm

When was he out of position today?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:23 pm

TheHawk wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:59 pm
Lukic wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:46 pm
I actually thought he was ok. Obviously had that howler, but felt he ran it back strong and was a constant threat on overlaps. He finally seemed to show a bit of that burst in his first step he had in his Warriors days and at stages last year. Can easily get on the outside of his man and set-up the centre/winger when he does that. Perfect example was Nofoaluma's try.

Also don't forget we're 4 from 4 with Lolohea. I don't think it's exactly a coincidence, he is very vocal at the back and tends to have our line set well. The only linebreaks I can think of are from poor 1 on 1 misses and the try they scored was on Chee-Kam or Marsters (One of them overcommitted but can't remember). Either that or we just happen to get very lucky with him at the back, I don't know.

There's enough positives we can take out of that to think he can grow into the role and make an impact as the season goes on. At his best he definitely offers more than Thompson and I feel that if he really is getting back into match shape and over the knee niggle, he should be an asset.
What a wank this whole nonsense is that we've won 4 from 4 with him this year like it's all his doing. Load of garbage.

Again I remind everyone there was never once a play we've run this year where Thompson was in a position like Lolohea was for Nofo's try.

Irrespective of all this, the reasons why he isn't a first grade standard fullback still showed tonight. His positioning at the back is sub-par and his effort is disgraceful. It's fortunate that the Bulldogs didn't make more linebreaks because he wasn't stopping anyone. He got saved by Brooks and then saved by Masters.

On the particular one that Brooks saved him, watch the replay again. What exactly was he doing? He was walking.
Serious question, have you ever played a game of league, let alone fullback? I assume not as you are the one needing to watch the replay involving the Brooks chase, as that was perfectly executed by both players. Of course, there was the other option of them both chasing the winger to allow the support a good chance to score. Marsters saved his own arse after a horrible read and miss.

Tui's provided the winning play of the game, with Lawrence expecting it and ready to pounce, even if he did not take the other improved option that he created after committing Foran as well. And yes it was a continuation of WT 100% success rate with him at the back, which of course cannot possibly be better and compares rather well with the much poorer rate of 37.5% when he has not been there.

Time for a quick bat and then put the garbage out.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:12 pm

I was filthy when Bulldogs scored their first try and he gave up on the play allowing Morris to improve the position. His defence is a bit all over the shop, at one point if Brooks didn't make the try saver, Lolo was infield and no chance of stopping it.

However, playing as a second 5/8 he's decent, I just worry with both Benji and him in the side we'll be kicking on 2nd and 3rd tackles too often.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:19 pm

There is a bloke called Ivan Cleary who knows a bit more than all the people on this forum put together when it comes to the NRL..So lets see who he picks at no1 on Tuesday. My gut feeling Tui has nothing to worry about

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:22 pm

He adds that 3rd ball playing option at 1 that we don’t have with Thompson.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:27 pm

Ivan cleary wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:34 pm
Okay I think this is too harsh on Lolohea, he’s a very instinctive player. I’m certain that if we had Thompson at fullback we wouldn’t have scored any tries. The try for nofo, if we had Thompson at the back wouldn’t not have passed would have run inside. The try for Lawrence same thing go don’t think Thompson would have kicked for him.

Yes he dropped a ball yes he let the ball role dead But he’s made up for it by setting up two of our three tries.

No disrespect to Thompson he’s a great player and a great winger imo but I don’t think he’s the player we need at fullback and I think tui deserves another crack next week.
Well said
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:39 pm

He looked nervy and anxious first half, grew into the game a bit as it went on and finished well. Thought he got lucky for the Lawrence try, but did well for Nofo's try - had a similar opp in the first half and didn't engage his man at all.
He's still too inconsistent IMO, but is our best option at the moment.