Don't love the change at fullback

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: Don't love the change at fullback

Post by TYGA » Wed 23 May, 2018 10:48 pm

I have a feeling Tui will come good this week.
He’s fit when I saw him weighing 90kgs looked fit. His goal kicking gets him into the team but he needs to fire. Kick returns need to be powerful and at speed no more side steps and bunny hops.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40468
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 23 May, 2018 10:58 pm

Eddie wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 3:01 pm
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.
I'll do the right thing and give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves the haters right and the lovers wrong or vice versa

Thompson has been as solid as a rock , but according to the Kelly Egan interview even the club thinks we could do better in the market place than what we have either way ......

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:00 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 10:32 pm
stevied wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 8:47 pm
Like most people, I was shocked by the promotion of Tui.
1. Tui's form in ISP has not justified a recall. He still lacks speed and penetration and has regularly fallen off tackles.
2. Thompson's form, especially in defense and under the high ball, has been superb all year.
I disagree with people who say he is more of a five eighth than fullback. In his golden year at the Warriors in 2016, he excelled in both positions but was absolutely spectacular at fullback where he displayed blinding speed and exceptional footwork. He was also a solid last line of defence. We all hoped that Tui would rediscover this form but, sadly it hasn't eventuated, whether due to injuries or his lack of commitment to conditioning.
There must be something else behind this. He hasn't shown much in the way of ball play in regies so why would it miraculously eventuate in first grade??
HE’s been flippen injured!!! How many times does it have to be stated.
He’s not lazy
He’s not overweight
He’s not unmotivated
HE HAS BEEN INJURED :brick:
Settle down Steve! I've acknowledged his knee injury in my comment. It doesn't alter the fact that he's been a disappointment. He started in first grade this year, I believe, without the injury, and he looked quite ponderous and unfit. Then he picked up the injury in regies and had some weeks off. Like you, I'm a fan of Tui and I would like him to realise his potential. This doesn't alter the fact that his input this year has been disappointing.

andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm

Post by andrew 474 » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:19 am

We needed to make changes and they have been made , Thompson has been great at the back but he can be great on a wing , Tui comes in Fitter and if he goes well we are in with a big shot ! And with the mullet back in the centre I think we are stronger , Tui can also move to 6 Thompson to 1 if need due to injury , Tui can Kick well

criwdfluffer
Member
Member
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:34 am

Post by criwdfluffer » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:31 am

Do you kids reckon Lolo will kick goals??


supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7029
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 am

We certainly need a creative no1 if we are going to compete with the big guys, but is Tui the answer?? I am sure he can add some skill but I am also worried that he may fall down in other areas that Thomo has been strong in.

Anyway changes had to be made, our attack was horrible against Penrith. I think Cleary, now he has made the call has to stick with Tui for at least a month. Anyway we should all have a better idea on Sunday

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17824
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:24 am

The benefit is that if Tui has a stinker we have a very capable bloke ready to step back into the role.

Of course I am hoping that is not the case and he puts in an effort that keeps Thompson out for the rest of the season.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:49 am

I’m unsure how Tui will go in defence however the timing seems right to test him out. Hope he kills it.
At the back end of last season and during the WC I actually thought Tui was one of the form 5/8’s going around. If we had a marquee fullback this year....I would have like to have seen Brooks and Tui team up again behind Packerlino. With Thompson on the wing.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TigerCast
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 12:36 pm

Post by TigerCast » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:56 am

Tigrr wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 9:01 pm
I find it hilarious that a 22 year old professional footballer like Tui would be as unfit and slow as he was last year, then after a supposedly tough pre season he is still the same but now with some mystery injury. He is either injured or fit and ready to play, cant be both ?
he spent most of pre season at the world cup. its been said a number of coaches have said they werent happy with the state in which guys from developing nations came back to the clubs.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5909
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Thu 24 May, 2018 10:57 am

The issue I have with Thommo, which I have stated before, is he is not much of a threat in attack set pieces. Good on support, good with a jinking run against a staggered line, takes smart options, but he has limited physical threat in the backline. He doesn't kick and he doesn't have a slick pass.

In defence he's a terrific fullback: can tackle, well-positioned, knows where the football will be on kick defence.

But when we run attack the oppositions really don't need to mark up on Thommo, so they swarm Benji and Brooks. Both of those guys need space, I mean all halves do, but Benji and Brooks esp fall in a heap under sustained line pressure.

So I do feel Tui is important in our attack plans. He's not as good a defensive fullback as Thommo, but he's much more of a 1-1 threat and he will cause the defence to split their focus.

Tui played rounds 1, 4 and 5, which were all wins (Roosters, Parra #1, Storm #2). Without him we have also won 3 (Storm #1, Manly, Cowboys), but lost 5 (Broncos, Knights, Parra #2, Warriors, Panthers). Maybe it's just coincident, maybe the reason for our positive record is that our defence and go-forward were superior in the early rounds where Tui played (I haven't checked game-by-game).

But certainly last week, Penrith gave us plenty of opportunity the first 20 mins and we failed to challenge their line. They gained confidence, then basically shut us out of the last 50-60 minutes. We needed more attack threat, though we defended fairly well for all the ball they had, I feel that last week was lost from being unable to convert early possession into pressure and points.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7029
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:15 am

Cleary might also swap Thomo and Tui around during the game a little. Push Thomo back in defence and Tui in attack if things are not going to plan

User avatar
Kul
Member
Member
Posts: 5897
Joined: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 12:24 am
Location: London

Post by Kul » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:23 am

This thread title gives me an aneurism
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

AnnandaleTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri 31 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:33 am

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 10:57 am
The issue I have with Thommo, which I have stated before, is he is not much of a threat in attack set pieces. Good on support, good with a jinking run against a staggered line, takes smart options, but he has limited physical threat in the backline. He doesn't kick and he doesn't have a slick pass.

In defence he's a terrific fullback: can tackle, well-positioned, knows where the football will be on kick defence.

But when we run attack the oppositions really don't need to mark up on Thommo, so they swarm Benji and Brooks. Both of those guys need space, I mean all halves do, but Benji and Brooks esp fall in a heap under sustained line pressure.

So I do feel Tui is important in our attack plans. He's not as good a defensive fullback as Thommo, but he's much more of a 1-1 threat and he will cause the defence to split their focus.

Tui played rounds 1, 4 and 5, which were all wins (Roosters, Parra #1, Storm #2). Without him we have also won 3 (Storm #1, Manly, Cowboys), but lost 5 (Broncos, Knights, Parra #2, Warriors, Panthers). Maybe it's just coincident, maybe the reason for our positive record is that our defence and go-forward were superior in the early rounds where Tui played (I haven't checked game-by-game).

But certainly last week, Penrith gave us plenty of opportunity the first 20 mins and we failed to challenge their line. They gained confidence, then basically shut us out of the last 50-60 minutes. We needed more attack threat, though we defended fairly well for all the ball they had, I feel that last week was lost from being unable to convert early possession into pressure and points.
Up vote.

TIGERPOWER
Member
Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:36 am

Post by TIGERPOWER » Thu 24 May, 2018 1:57 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 5:14 pm
People questioning his fitness is as certain as the sun rising in the east. It’s getting pretty boring.
Not as boring as you defending him with your eyes closed.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22142
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 24 May, 2018 2:04 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 1:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 5:14 pm
People questioning his fitness is as certain as the sun rising in the east. It’s getting pretty boring.
Not as boring as you defending him with your eyes closed.
I guess the coach has his eyes closed too. Said the reason why he struggled was due to coming back too early from a knee injury. Never said anything about a lack of fitness :?

TheHawk
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:44 am

Post by TheHawk » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:17 pm

bbobb wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:44 pm
Eddie wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 3:01 pm
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.
The modern fullback is seen as a ball player and as much as Thompson has been safe and runs well, that isn't a facet of his game. For mine, Tui is fast becoming an enigma able to produce glimpses of brilliance mixed with quite lazy play. I think Coach Cleary realises that our attack is limited and is possibly looking to create more opportunities with Tui.

While not wanting to be flamed, I see Tui as a centre. I think his body shape, explosive running and ability to position an outside player make him an ideal fit - all without the pressure of five-eight or the running of a fullback. It would allow him to inject himself when he saw opportunity.


Masters to back row and Tui to centre would be worth looking at imho.
Yep because James Tedesco, Josh Dugan, Michael Gordon, RTS, Josh Wighton, Alex Johnston and Matt Duffy are all noted ball players.

This nonsense of the modern fullback being a ball player is a fallacy. I've just named you seven fullbacks out of the sixteen clubs that aren't ball players.

It's determined on how your team is structured. Thompson is the perfect fullback when the halves are correct. This year they were until Benji went full derp.

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:18 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 am
We certainly need a creative no1 if we are going to compete with the big guys, but is Tui the answer?? I am sure he can add some skill but I am also worried that he may fall down in other areas that Thomo has been strong in.

Anyway changes had to be made, our attack was horrible against Penrith. I think Cleary, now he has made the call has to stick with Tui for at least a month. Anyway we should all have a better idea on Sunday
If he can get anywhere near his 2016 form, it will be a master stroke. He definitely has the ability. I hope that he is finally fit, medically and aerobically, and that he can add the dimension to the attack that the team desperately needs. As I have said many times, I like him, and I hope he kills it. Time will tell whether this decision is the right one because his form in ISP certainly didn't earn the promotion.
Last edited by stevied on Thu 24 May, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4939
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:20 pm

TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:17 pm
bbobb wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:44 pm
Eddie wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 3:01 pm
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.
The modern fullback is seen as a ball player and as much as Thompson has been safe and runs well, that isn't a facet of his game. For mine, Tui is fast becoming an enigma able to produce glimpses of brilliance mixed with quite lazy play. I think Coach Cleary realises that our attack is limited and is possibly looking to create more opportunities with Tui.

While not wanting to be flamed, I see Tui as a centre. I think his body shape, explosive running and ability to position an outside player make him an ideal fit - all without the pressure of five-eight or the running of a fullback. It would allow him to inject himself when he saw opportunity.


Masters to back row and Tui to centre would be worth looking at imho.
Yep because James Tedesco, Josh Dugan, Michael Gordon, RTS, Josh Wighton, Alex Johnston and Matt Duffy are all noted ball players.

This nonsense of the modern fullback being a ball player is a fallacy. I've just named you seven fullbacks out of the sixteen clubs that aren't ball players.

It's determined on how your team is structured. Thompson is the perfect fullback when the halves are correct. This year they were until Benji went full derp.
So does that mean the majority are ball playing full backs then?

Post Reply