Russell wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:20 pm
TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:17 pm
bbobb wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 7:44 pm
Eddie wrote:
Wed 23 May, 2018 3:01 pm
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.
The modern fullback is seen as a ball player and as much as Thompson has been safe and runs well, that isn't a facet of his game. For mine, Tui is fast becoming an enigma able to produce glimpses of brilliance mixed with quite lazy play. I think Coach Cleary realises that our attack is limited and is possibly looking to create more opportunities with Tui.

While not wanting to be flamed, I see Tui as a centre. I think his body shape, explosive running and ability to position an outside player make him an ideal fit - all without the pressure of five-eight or the running of a fullback. It would allow him to inject himself when he saw opportunity.

Masters to back row and Tui to centre would be worth looking at imho.
Yep because James Tedesco, Josh Dugan, Michael Gordon, RTS, Josh Wighton, Alex Johnston and Matt Duffy are all noted ball players.

This nonsense of the modern fullback being a ball player is a fallacy. I've just named you seven fullbacks out of the sixteen clubs that aren't ball players.

It's determined on how your team is structured. Thompson is the perfect fullback when the halves are correct. This year they were until Benji went full derp.
So does that mean the majority are ball playing full backs then?
Yes genius. Majority of people believe in a god too, doesn't make them real.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:40 pm

TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:37 pm
Russell wrote:
TheHawk wrote:
bbobb wrote:

The modern fullback is seen as a ball player and as much as Thompson has been safe and runs well, that isn't a facet of his game. For mine, Tui is fast becoming an enigma able to produce glimpses of brilliance mixed with quite lazy play. I think Coach Cleary realises that our attack is limited and is possibly looking to create more opportunities with Tui.

While not wanting to be flamed, I see Tui as a centre. I think his body shape, explosive running and ability to position an outside player make him an ideal fit - all without the pressure of five-eight or the running of a fullback. It would allow him to inject himself when he saw opportunity.

Yep because James Tedesco, Josh Dugan, Michael Gordon, RTS, Josh Wighton, Alex Johnston and Matt Duffy are all noted ball players.

This nonsense of the modern fullback being a ball player is a fallacy. I've just named you seven fullbacks out of the sixteen clubs that aren't ball players.

It's determined on how your team is structured. Thompson is the perfect fullback when the halves are correct. This year they were until Benji went full derp.
Touchy!!!

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:00 pm

TheHawk wrote:
bbobb wrote:
Eddie wrote:
I just think Thompson has been outstanding this year at fullback. He has saved so many tries through last minute efforts and failed to drop even one high ball. All these little things sometimes go unnoticed until maybe he is not there anymore. His positional play is really sound and he competes on every play. For me alongside Lawrence he has been our most consistent player.

I know Tui has has his fans on here however he has done next to nothing this year to convince me be is any where near as good an option at fullback as Corey has been. I understand we need to make some changes after 4 losses in 5 but I'm wondering if this could backfire.

Were a side that does need an injection of skill however I would still much prefer we compete on every play. Anyway lets see how it goes I have enjoyed the way Cleary has kept everyone on their toes this year in regards to selections. There isn doubt Lolihea has the ability to set up a try however its the other things in his game that worries me.

I can see this backfiring if Lolihea is not 100% fit. I dont think he is a fullback I tninkhe should more of an option for 6 or the bench if Benji and Reynolds continue to struggle . This is a season defining game for me for the squad so its an interesting trigger to pull now.

Hmm...it's interesting that Thompson himself said that he wanted to develop that part of his game. A ball playing fullback is someone who can set up his outside men. Slater also felt he was better player when he could do this....and BTW Teddy fits the mould as does RTS. The rest of your list are not what I would call top shelf.

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Thu 24 May, 2018 9:52 pm

bbobb wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 8:00 pm
TheHawk wrote:
bbobb wrote:
Eddie wrote:

Hmm...it's interesting that Thompson himself said that he wanted to develop that part of his game. A ball playing fullback is someone who can set up his outside men. Slater also felt he was better player when he could do this....and BTW Teddy fits the mould as does RTS. The rest of your list are not what I would call top shelf.
A ball playing fullback who couldn't hit a hole would tell you that he wants to develop that aspect of his game. I'm great at having sex but terrible at foreplay, I would like to develop that part of my game.

Teddy and RTS do not fit this mould. Who also said anything about top shelf? They're the first choice fullbacks for their teams.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:57 pm

TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 9:52 pm
bbobb wrote:
TheHawk wrote:
bbobb wrote:

A ball playing fullback who couldn't hit a hole would tell you that he wants to develop that aspect of his game. I'm great at having sex but terrible at foreplay, I would like to develop that part of my game.

Teddy and RTS do not fit this mould. Who also said anything about top shelf? They're the first choice fullbacks for their teams.
Maybe you should add a bit of ball playing to your sex life.

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Fri 25 May, 2018 8:56 am

formerguest wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 11:57 pm
TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 9:52 pm
bbobb wrote:
TheHawk wrote:

Maybe you should add a bit of ball playing to your sex life.
It is something I want to develop in my game.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 25 May, 2018 9:48 am

bbobb wrote:
TheHawk wrote:

I agree with bbobb, I would class Tedesco, RTS, Johnston, Wighton, Dufty as ball-playing fullbacks. Personally I don't really like that terminology, because it makes out like these fullbacks are 5/8ths with 1s on their back, which isn't accurate. But the point is that when in the backline they can both run or pass well. Even better if they have a kick, but not absolutely necessary.

All those guys I've mentioned have a good pass on them, as well as pass selection, though some more than others. Watching Dufty set up that Widdop try last week shows he doesn't just have pace.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:04 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 9:48 am
bbobb wrote:
TheHawk wrote:

I agree with bbobb, I would class Tedesco, RTS, Johnston, Wighton, Dufty as ball-playing fullbacks. Personally I don't really like that terminology, because it makes out like these fullbacks are 5/8ths with 1s on their back, which isn't accurate. But the point is that when in the backline they can both run or pass well. Even better if they have a kick, but not absolutely necessary.

All those guys I've mentioned have a good pass on them, as well as pass selection, though some more than others. Watching Dufty set up that Widdop try last week shows he doesn't just have pace.
Yeah a few season ago Tedesco had the most try assists for our team. He became more selfish with the ball last year (to his and the team's detriment) but he can definitely ball play and set up his outside men.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:20 am

talking about ball playing fullbacks......Corey Norman went pretty well last night at fullback (IMO). He looked like Parra's most dangerous back. With his short kicking game and passing game from the fullback position.
Although it was hard to look good when you had Moses there butchering everything.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:27 am

Interesting Green has recently gone with Michael Morgan at fullback and Te Maire Martin at 5/8. I guess he has to mix things up as the Cows haven't clicked at all.

Has Te Maire Martin ever played fullback? I'd image he'd go quite well there in attack. Probably unknown in defence.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:31 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 10:20 am
talking about ball playing fullbacks......Corey Norman went pretty well last night at fullback (IMO). He looked like Parra's most dangerous back. With his short kicking game and passing game from the fullback position.
Although it was hard to look good when you had Moses there butchering everything.
Jennings butchered far more .....

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:36 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 10:31 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 10:20 am
Jennings butchered far more .....
yes. Jennings was more clumsy. Moses was just bad at everything. ie; Kicking, passing, running, tackling

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:42 am

Benji barely lets Brooks get his hands on the ball , do you think he will allow a ball playing fullback get the ball (that isn't his bum buddy Moltzen)

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:12 pm

TheHawk wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:37 pm
Russell wrote:
TheHawk wrote:
bbobb wrote:

Wait a minute Gods not real.........dang

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri 25 May, 2018 4:28 pm

He hasn't lost a game yet, he deserves his call up
"It's not because i'm lazy, it's because i don't care"

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri 25 May, 2018 4:45 pm

We are apparently likely to get Mbye, so there you go, another ball playing fullback.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:33 pm

Tui seems to bring out quite a bit of divisiveness and heated opinion. Firstly let me say we are all tigers fans so I am sure everyone wants him to excel. I certainly do. The fact is he simply hasn’t been playing well. I am basing my opinion on what I have seen with my own two eyes over the course of the season so far, and this was before he was injured as well. I can’t see how any reasonable judge can say otherwise. Sure he has kicked a few goals but he’s far from an ace. Yes, he caught a bomb that came down near the try line and had the presence of mind to put his foot back causing a restart, but so does my 14 year old son. I haven’t seen any speed or evasiveness or X factor. What I have seen is lethargy and non commitment, poor positional play and weak defence.
The only thing I can assume is that Ivan is giving him a chance before we go out and recruit someone else.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Fri 25 May, 2018 11:41 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 6:33 pm
Tui seems to bring out quite a bit of divisiveness and heated opinion. Firstly let me say we are all tigers fans so I am sure everyone wants him to excel. I certainly do. The fact is he simply hasn’t been playing well. I am basing my opinion on what I have seen with my own two eyes over the course of the season so far, and this was before he was injured as well. I can’t see how any reasonable judge can say otherwise. Sure he has kicked a few goals but he’s far from an ace. Yes, he caught a bomb that came down near the try line and had the presence of mind to put his foot back causing a restart, but so does my 14 year old son. I haven’t seen any speed or evasiveness or X factor. What I have seen is lethargy and non commitment, poor positional play and weak defence.
The only thing I can assume is that Ivan is giving him a chance before we go out and recruit someone else.
I was so happy when Tui signed with us. Based on his highlights I really believed he had the X factor. Unfortunately we have not seen that here yet. Before people on here blame injuries , he wasn’t what I thought he would be before he injured his knee. Do I hope he succeeds? Hell yes. A firing Tui would make us a much better team.