Top 8

happy tiger

Re: Top 8

Post by happy tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 9:06 am

supercoach wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 9:00 am
Next two weeks hold the key, anything short of two wins probably means curtains re the 8. Imo the loses to Parra and Newcastle Will bites us big time.

I think we will run between 10 and 12 and that’s a lot better than I expected at the start of the season. Our spine is our downfall
Going to be interesting to see how Reynolds goes , if he can find his best we will be adding a fresh body to the side

Wonder if Reynolds knows how important he will be over the next 13 games , we are going to need to win 7 of those games

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:54 am

This time last year any chance of top 8 was basically gone

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Fri 25 May, 2018 11:04 am

Seantice wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 10:56 pm
This is a rebuilding year? So what if were not in the top 8? The players put in so can't ask for much more..
It's gonna be a lot easier to recruit if we make the 8 this year.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 25 May, 2018 1:43 pm

supercoach wrote:
Next two weeks hold the key, anything short of two wins probably means curtains re the 8. Imo the loses to Parra and Newcastle Will bites us big time.

I think we will run between 10 and 12 and that’s a lot better than I expected at the start of the season. Our spine is our downfall
Do you have anything positive to say, ever? You had us pegged as wooden spoon contenders, we've exceeded your expectations, and you still look at things with the glass half empty.

barra

Post by barra » Fri 25 May, 2018 1:51 pm

underdog wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 8:55 am
We will do well over the origin weeks as our team will pretty much stay the same
I hope so. But when you look at the draw, the effected rounds (before and after SOO games) are against Roosters, Sharks, Raiders and Titans, who probably won't be supplying too many players to Origin?

We play Saints the week after SOO 3 which could play in our favour, they'll likely be feeling the heat by then...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:01 pm

Origin has a less impact this year...as all teams will only play one game without Origin players where in the past it was sometimes 2...

All teams have a BYE before Origin 11 and the other BYE before either Origin 1 or 111 our is before 111...

So as barra says we play Dragons after 111 with their Origin players available..the Rorters before 1 so i guess that's good..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:06 pm

Tacky wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 11:04 am
Seantice wrote:
This is a rebuilding year? So what if were not in the top 8? The players put in so can't ask for much more..
It's gonna be a lot easier to recruit if we make the 8 this year.
I already think we have improved immensely on that front. The club looks so much more professional these days. Ivan Cleary is a big drawcard also. We only need 3-4 above average players to be a regular top 8 side.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:15 pm

Seantice wrote:
So what if we're not in top 8?
Can't ask for more?

Are you for real?

Yes you can ask for more and should bloody well expect more. FFS it feels like every year we have been in existence has been a "rebuilding" year.
Sick of it.
Make the 8 or it's failure. End of story.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:30 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:15 pm
Seantice wrote:
Can't ask for more?

Are you for real?

Yes you can ask for more and should bloody well expect more. FFS it feels like every year we have been in existence has been a "rebuilding" year.
Sick of it.
Good point, I think we are rebuilt, in that we are unrecognisable from previous years.
If we miss the 8 after the start we had it's a failure, the club will have to own it and improve, not make excuses like we weren't planning on being competitive this year. I guarantee you if the squad thought that we would not have been 5 and 1.

I think some forumers are too soft on a winning side, there was room for improvement that was very clear from round 4 onwards, the last quarter of the first Parra game. We should expect more because this mob has shown they are capable, not look for ways to justify non performance. By the same token, we should celebrate success, whether it is beautiful or ugly. My opinion is we should only celebrate without constructive criticism when we win the comp, as that is the only time the record books will show you executed the plan perfectly.

It's not that hard, and not that different to life, school, work, relationships...if you don't hit your goals and you want to improve you have to assess yourself honestly and not make excuses like "rebuilding". I've been guilty of thinking this too as recently as this season, but we have to change our expectations as a club - we, the fans, are part of the club's history and story too.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:44 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 9:06 am
supercoach wrote:

Going to be interesting to see how Reynolds goes , if he can find his best we will be adding a fresh body to the side

Wonder if Reynolds knows how important he will be over the next 13 games , we are going to need to win 7 of those games
Very true but looking at the draw the first half of the season was the difficult half.
I believe we'll be playing finals this year.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:55 pm

happy tiger wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Wonder if Reynolds knows who important he will be over the next 13 games , we are going to need to win 7 of those games
Getting beaten by the Knights and Parra was the pits... I also believe those two games will effect the teams chances for a top 8 spot and the reason for mine is the team is so unpredictable when playing against teams below them on the ladder . Hopefully IC can Instill some win at all costs mentality ...as it stands right at the moment you would not pick the Tigers to beat anyone confidently.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:04 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:30 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:15 pm
Seantice wrote:
Can't ask for more?

Are you for real?

Sick of it.
Good point, I think we are rebuilt, in that we are unrecognisable from previous years.
If we miss the 8 after the start we had it's a failure, the club will have to own it and improve, not make excuses like we weren't planning on being competitive this year. I guarantee you if the squad thought that we would not have been 5 and 1.

I think some forumers are too soft on a winning side, there was room for improvement that was very clear from round 4 onwards, the last quarter of the first Parra game. We should expect more because this mob has shown they are capable, not look for ways to justify non performance. By the same token, we should celebrate success, whether it is beautiful or ugly. My opinion is we should only celebrate without constructive criticism when we win the comp, as that is the only time the record books will show you executed the plan perfectly.

It's not that hard, and not that different to life, school, work, relationships...if you don't hit your goals and you want to improve you have to assess yourself honestly and not make excuses like "rebuilding". I've been guilty of thinking this too as recently as this season, but we have to change our expectations as a club - we, the fans, are part of the club's history and story too.
I agree that its a failure to not make the eight, But i also agree it is a rebuilding year and yes we have had a string of rebuilding years recently.
Cleaning out the roster and bringing in fresh faces to change a culture is exactly what rebuilding is.
The last few years holding on to Teddy,Moses,Woods and even Farah and only rotating second tier players is not rebuilding, Even though players came and went the culture and the culture of losing remained the same and this year the culture has changed.
Motivation and competition for a jersey did not exist untill this year.
Playing for 80 minutes did not exist untill this year.
Being able to look at each game as a winnable game did not exist untill this year.

I cant really call it anything but a rebuilding year.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:57 pm

happy tiger wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Wonder if Reynolds knows who important he will be over the next 13 games , we are going to need to win 7 of those games
Reynolds will be interesting. First few rounds when Benji was playing as an actual 5/8 we started winning.

Now Tui is NR1, Reynolds will be a 5/8, which he is used too. We get to see Brooks play 7.

Someone above said our spine was the problem. I don't think it is, we had Little, Brooks, Benji and Thompson. The real problem was we were not winning the ruck and making meters. We started with Godinet there and he took a beating. We move McKillwrich there a bit but we couldn't get good ball.

It's not the spine. Now that we have Brooks -> Reynolds and Tui we can prove that. It's our hooker.

Elijah Taylor is/was an awesome player, he is NOT the hooker solution. Liddle hasn't gotten there this season. Clearly were looking for an alternative in that area because if Brooks does not get good ball then the spine is useless.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 25 May, 2018 5:17 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 1:43 pm
supercoach wrote:

Do you have anything positive to say, ever? You had us pegged as wooden spoon contenders, we've exceeded your expectations, and you still look at things with the glass half empty.
As I said they have exceeded my expectations and have shown plenty of grit, but at the start of the season along with most other people except one eyed tigers supporters I thought they would be near the bottom of the comp. It’s nothing to do with being negative, it’s just calling it as I see it.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 25 May, 2018 5:28 pm

Making the 8 for us will come down to the last 2 or 3 games. I'll start to worry then.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:51 pm

shane2801 wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 8:20 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 6:16 am
Jay wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 9:37 pm
We are out of the top 8 for the first time this year. If we lose this we will be spiralling. Massive game! Scary.
I can think of much scarier things in life than finding yourself out of the 8 with still half a season left, but each to their own.
Nice Avatar GNR. You know the Dolls gave KISS their inspiration to don the makeup?
Yep, great band. Shame, they never made it bigger.

Warble

Post by Warble » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:42 am

I was a little deflated after last weeks loss to Penrith. However, after watching the ladder leading Dragons get bashed and the score reaching 16-2, our scoreline last week v Panthers, with still 20 to go, Isaw a silver lining.. Our defence was very solid. We gave them too much ball through silly errors.
There are good things to come.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:40 am

You would have to look at it in a couple of ways....pre season had seen many forumers having the team in the bottom half of the ladder for this year,with some minor improvement on previous years,the new players, a full preseason with IC and cap problems being solved paved the way for 2019 being a dominant year to challenge for finals footy...having said that,the team made an explosive impact in the opening rounds this year which made people change their minds about the finishing position of the team at the end of season 2018..

I still think we can make the finals this year especially now that the injured players are returning ie Reynolds,Tui and Fonua making the NRL side..If it wasn't for bad injuries early on we may have been sitting in the top 4 ..we may never know,however,if the team keeps improving their attack and maintaining the strong defense we could be there for sure...

On the other side of the argument,if we finish say at 9th spot,then have we really improved the playing style of this team ?remember Taylor had them finishing 9th and he had every bit of turmoil to contend with,some his fault ,some others..
The big,big difference is... the culture at the club has changed dramatically,the club and team are performing much more professionally and we have an increased membership base..so if we didn't quite make the 8 this year,we at least know we are in a far better position to play finals footy next year with money in the bank and a great attitude throughout the entire club..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D