Cleary: "We let them off"

willow

Post by willow » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:21 pm

Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Sun 3 Jun 2018, 07:12 PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary was left to reflect on "one that got away" as his side suffered a hard-fought 16-14 defeat to the Sydney Roosters.

Behind for the entire second half, Cleary's men looked to have pulled something from the fire when Josh Reynolds crashed over late, but couldn't find the final blow to put the Roosters to bed — allowing the home side to hang on for a two-point win that could have easily gone the way of the visitors.

For Cleary, while proud of the resilient effort, it was simply what could have been.

"Of course, I think a real positive about our team is that we never give up," he reflected.

"But the negatives today: we put ourselves in a position where we had to come from behind and try and stage a big comeback at the end and we just couldn't quite get it done in the chaos.

"Both sides were going hammer and tong trying to get the win, and it was just crazy.

"The first 60 minutes, I thought we just let them off.

"We controlled the game really nicely at the start, but we came up with poor errors at the wrong time.

"We didn't cash in on the field position and possession and the game's over and it's one that got away.

"The Roosters need some credit, and they scrambled well at the end," he added.

"But we had chances and came up with really poor errors at the wrong time."

While let down by a number of missed opportunities in attack, Cleary said the manner in which the side defended highlighted just how far the team had come in 2018.

"I think it's important to note that we started this season and as a rebuild and we're trying hard to change the view of what Wests Tigers are as a team," Cleary said.

"I think it'd be fair to say that in the club's history, defence hasn't been the identity of the team.

"If you're going to be any sort of a team, your defence has to be strong, and it's turned out this year as a real foundation of what we've done.

"I don't think anyone expected — or they shouldn't have expected — us to walk in and be able to do everything and that's certainly not the case for us. We're still working away at it.

"I'm not even sure what our best 17 is yet and it's still definitely a work in progress.

"But we shouldn't be turning over the ball too easily — we've got to be better than things like that."

Post by 851 » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:26 pm

willow wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:21 pm
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Sun 3 Jun 2018, 07:12 PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary was left to reflect on "one that got away" as his side suffered a hard-fought 16-14 defeat to the Sydney Roosters.

Behind for the entire second half, Cleary's men looked to have pulled something from the fire when Josh Reynolds crashed over late, but couldn't find the final blow to put the Roosters to bed — allowing the home side to hang on for a two-point win that could have easily gone the way of the visitors.

For Cleary, while proud of the resilient effort, it was simply what could have been.

"Of course, I think a real positive about our team is that we never give up," he reflected.

"But the negatives today: we put ourselves in a position where we had to come from behind and try and stage a big comeback at the end and we just couldn't quite get it done in the chaos.

"Both sides were going hammer and tong trying to get the win, and it was just crazy.

"The first 60 minutes, I thought we just let them off.

"We controlled the game really nicely at the start, but we came up with poor errors at the wrong time.

"We didn't cash in on the field position and possession and the game's over and it's one that got away.

"The Roosters need some credit, and they scrambled well at the end," he added.

"But we had chances and came up with really poor errors at the wrong time."

While let down by a number of missed opportunities in attack, Cleary said the manner in which the side defended highlighted just how far the team had come in 2018.

"I think it's important to note that we started this season and as a rebuild and we're trying hard to change the view of what Wests Tigers are as a team," Cleary said.

"I think it'd be fair to say that in the club's history, defence hasn't been the identity of the team.

"If you're going to be any sort of a team, your defence has to be strong, and it's turned out this year as a real foundation of what we've done.

"I don't think anyone expected — or they shouldn't have expected — us to walk in and be able to do everything and that's certainly not the case for us. We're still working away at it.

"I'm not even sure what our best 17 is yet and it's still definitely a work in progress.

"But we shouldn't be turning over the ball too easily — we've got to be better than things like that."
Well heads up Ivan, Tui and Benji are not in it, and a hooker is in it, you can handle the rest :x
Go hard or go home

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:27 pm

One thing about Ivan is at least he is honest and open with every interview he gives....
He wont blame an individual or any particular mistake,but he still understands this team is a work in progress...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:29 pm

Ivan talk is starting to get irritating.....a lot of Talk not to much action!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:29 pm

Ivan's starting to clutch .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:31 pm

He's right little things are killing us out there. We make a few unforced errors almost every game through trying too much or forced offloads. Two that stand out from today Marsters forcing the offload and Fonua running the blind side. Both cost us momentum. If we can get things like that out of our game we can really apply the pressure on teams. We've come a long way this year but we are lacking some punch in the opposition twenty and really need a dummy half and/or fullback who can be a consistent option.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:41 pm

Halfway into the season, you probably should know what your strongest line up is. He’s pretty indecisive Ivan. From not knowing his strongest 17 to picking 5 captains,

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:45 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:41 pm
Halfway into the season, you probably should know what your strongest line up is. He’s pretty indecisive Ivan. From not knowing his strongest 17 to picking 5 captains,
Ivan Talk! I am not falling for the Mr Honestly speak he knows exactly who the top 17 are !

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 9:22 pm

Our side is void of any game breakers and as a result, little things hurt us more than most. I'm still pretty happy with the defensive performance of this team as a whole.

Last year, we would have had at least 3 or 4 drubbings if not more.

Hopefully Mbye comes along this year and helps turn those 2 point losses into wins.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:38 pm

Hard to know your top 17 when you’ve had injuries to most of your key spine players. Once liddle is fit and Reynolds can play 80 minutes I think you will see the team that Ivan wanted from round 1. He has made changes to our 17 due to form , due to injuries and so on. A massive upgrade on what we had. We used to be the roosters easy beat team. We should have beaten them twice this year and you still have people not happy. Makes you wonder.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:49 pm

It's true the team has exceeded most of our expectations but today's loss was a hard pill to swallow.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:53 pm

Hey Ivan try putting ET at 6..I mean why not right?

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:56 pm

Rubbish from us in parts ... rubbish in total elsewhere . The NRL know who they want ..it will be a miracle for us to make it.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:00 pm

cktiger wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:56 pm
Rubbish from us in parts ... rubbish in total elsewhere . The NRL know who they want ..it will be a miracle for us to make it.
They sure do. Have another look at their offside in the dying minutes when we were under the posts, all the commentators were laughing in disbelief....they were nowhere near onside..any of them.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm

We do have a pretty dumb roster right across the park ..
At least Sue’s got an excuse :lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:28 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:45 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Ivan Talk! I am not falling for the Mr Honestly speak he knows exactly who the top 17 are !
I don't know about this... fair comment I think. Ivan said he doesn't know what the best 17 is. That could just mean the players are not consistent enough for his liking (which would be true) and he cannot pick the same 17 every week with confidence.

It also means our roster runs pretty deep but lacks talent. I.e. we have sometimes 4 or 5 blokes you could put in a given position, but none of them are standouts. We just don't have standout footballers right now, not really.

Look at Roosters today - everyone says they were down on personnel, and they were, but that's like saying James Packer is down a few million... hardly makes him poor. Ferguson is more dangerous than any of our back 5, Cronk and Keary are superior to our halves, Friend is a better hooker, JWH and Taukeiaho at least as good as our props.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:32 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:49 pm
It's true the team has exceeded most of our expectations but today's loss was a hard pill to swallow.
This is what i feel too. We didn't build on our SH from last week didn't see this loss coming. Reckon Robbo thinks it's a bonus 2pts and one we have to get back now.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:33 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:28 pm
Snake wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 8:45 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
I don't know about this... fair comment I think. Ivan said he doesn't know what the best 17 is. That could just mean the players are not consistent enough for his liking (which would be true) and he cannot pick the same 17 every week with confidence.

It also means our roster runs pretty deep but lacks talent. I.e. we have sometimes 4 or 5 blokes you could put in a given position, but none of them are standouts. We just don't have standout footballers right now, not really.

Look at Roosters today - everyone says they were down on personnel, and they were, but that's like saying James Packer is down a few million... hardly makes him poor. Ferguson is more dangerous than any of our back 5, Cronk and Keary are superior to our halves, Friend is a better hooker, JWH and Taukeiaho at least as good as our props.
Yeah, I used to think our roster ran deep then I saw a team without 4 representative players field Ferguson, Cronk, JWH, and Tupou. I then rethought my position.