The 3 moments that changed the game

Mr Magpie

Re: The 3 moments that changed the game

Post by Mr Magpie » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:29 pm

For so many weeks now we have seen very basic, stupid errors.
Does Cleary address these at training?
I'd say he would so why the hell are we still seeing all this crap?
Teams aren't beating us because of more ability. They are just taking advantage of our stuff-ups!
WE WILL STAND OUT GROUND AGAINST THE GATES OF HELL AND WE WON'T BACK DOWN!
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Post by 851 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:40 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:43 pm
Milky wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:46 pm
Brooks has carried the entire side for the past 15 rounds.

He put in a poor kick yes. Should it have led to a try? No.

Our side is lazy and incompetent.

Brooks is the best player out there.
Not even close.

He has all the attributes of a great half except "the smarts".
Again I agree Col, his poor 5th tackle kicks led to 2 cronulla tries. He has played nearly 100 games over 5 seasons, yet he still has no idea how to close out a game, or get the team home from a few behind.
Yet we hear all the excuses every time, a lot of our fans are happy with mediocrity, we can't just keep waiting.
Brooks has improved this year, but he is no game manager, much like Benji, we have not had a decent half since Prince left.
We need young Cleary to be a genuine finals player, sure Brooks gets the odd game where he looks to have turned the corner.
But in the end he is just the same player, Brooks needs a good game manager so he can concentrate on his running game.
Until we get one, we are going to get the same thing, false hope.
Go hard or go home

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:46 pm

Yet the ball to Lawrence that led to a Wests Tigers TRY is ignored..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:48 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:46 pm
Mmmm....
We lost :roll:

Post by 851 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:53 pm

Geo. wrote:
It was more the line Rowdy run, and Rowdy then changed direction to get through
Go hard or go home

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 2:03 pm

851 wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:53 pm
Geo. wrote:
It was more the line Rowdy run, and Rowdy then changed direction to get through

Cool
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 12:38 pm

The fact that Brooks is now getting attacked after being a stand out for us all year just shows some supporters will be negative Nancy’s no matter what. His running game has improved dramatically, his tackling is amazing and even his kicking game has improved dramatically. Your kick as only as good as it’s chase and our chase was zero. Agree still wasn’t the best kick but it’s not the halfbacks fault if a player runs 90m to score a try.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:06 pm

The 3 key moments

The incorrect (or inconsistent) sin binning of MCK
The incorrect scrum from Reynolds going into touch
Tui's non tackle on Gallen

These got them on the front foot when they shouldn't have been anywhere near that position. Then after all that we crumbled and they held strong and steady and won.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:08 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
Lastly why the hell was Matt Prior never penalised all game? The bloke over-works every tackle, he's like Trump in being so blazingly a cheat that people stop noticing.

If you didnt notice, watch him next game, constantly and messily attacking the football and the football-carrying arm. He even regularly slaps at the football when at marker, and the refs just let him. Bin MCK but dont penalise this cheat!

Typical of Flanno and his brand of ugly cheating, whinging, self-entitled football.
Yes!!!! - this bloke gets away with murder every game. I have watched him intensley for sometime. Lies all over the tackled player, bends legs when getting off hands all over the ball and gets away with it every week. Glad someone else has noticed it

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:37 pm

Bones wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 1:19 pm
formerguest wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:05 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:35 pm
Snake wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 6:26 pm

The Brooks kick was the game changer... it was not a matter of no one following it should of been put into touch ,and try forcing an error of there line .It is called game management,Luke is a good footy player but does not have the smarts this is what the difference is to Nathan Cleary and the house has to be thrown at him to get him!
And where was Tui on that kick? He was having a rest on the short side. 5th tackle options were mostly poor in the 2nd half but our inability to maintain any pressure was the reason we lost. Mostly due to errors, penalties and poor kicks.
Tui was not having a rest, rather on Brooks' inside shoulder, awaiting a play down that side as were the rest of the team. He was in a similar position when Luke put up that terrible kick later, which had he looked, Tui was ready to run through the hole created by kick pressure.
Problem was Brooks wrapped around from the open side then kicked to the exact spot he came from. He should have known there were no chasers there because he just came from there.

It was a very costly brain fade, he just needed to play the percentages.
I'd like to defend Brooks decision making in that kick. The execution let him down there not the idea. He has done this kick in the past and I've thought to myself why... But this time his only options were chip over the line towards the corner, bomb across field or chip into the middle of the field. Prior to moving into position for that kick he saw Val Holmes very close to the sideline on the left. Eddie lee was back across field on the other side of the park and there was space. Gal and Moylan however dropped back. The kick needed to be deeper and land just in the in goal but our chase wasn't there it was a break down in communication. Tui was right next to him but didn't move, Twal and Lawernce and Reynolds were in the backfield and Chee Kam was out in right centre or close enough to being that far across the field. Also look at the pressure Brailey puts on him, he had no protection at all. The tactic that was working for them all game by brooks kicking deep into the corner was taken out of his hands by the kick pressure. If he was to play the %s than he may have been better off given Fonua a run on the last. He didn't have many options. I'm not sure he ran to the short side to make that kick as planed I'd say his initial plan was to kick to the corner. Would have been a much different scenario had lawernce been ok to chase or provide protection. I honestly didn't see any kick coming off in that tight corridor. The outcome could have been exactly the same even if he chipped the kick left and closer to Holmes and not Gallen. It was the chase that let that down combined with the trajectory / distance of the kick. Bit of a Swiss cheese wheel that one.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:40 pm

But on top of that, how about the lack of chase from the Grubber that hit the uprights and should have put Val Holmes in the in goal... was that the wrong kick also?

Bengaliwolf

Post by Bengaliwolf » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:45 pm

Everyone is focussing on Brooks poor decision to kick to Gallen who passes to Holmes to score, but no one has mentioned the fact that MCK doesn't even attempt to make a tackle on Holmes. He was a good chance to stop Holmes if he just tried but the lack of effort was the worst thing for me. Brooks will only be as good as the support around him. If Holmes is tackled, then it's likely no one is talking about this play.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:48 pm

Brooks is fine. Good to see him running the ball

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:59 pm

Needaname wrote:
Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:37 pm
I'd like to defend Brooks decision making in that kick. The execution let him down there not the idea.
Given how irate Brooks looked as soon as he looked up, I cant help but think he may have called a play and somebody didn't respond. I could be way off the mark and he simply screwed up, but it's hard to imagine he hadn't told someone what he was planning.
Suffering supporter since 1967

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:08 pm

Brooks has been great this year. He is the reason we have been in and won most games this year.

Second in Daily M's.

I don't think his kick lost us the game.

My 3 turning points.

1. Tui giving Lewis a shot at a try in the opening stages.
2. Tui not securing the ball in the Gallen try
3. The wrong scrum call.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:11 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:59 pm
Needaname wrote:
Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:37 pm
I'd like to defend Brooks decision making in that kick. The execution let him down there not the idea.
Given how irate Brooks looked as soon as he looked up, I cant help but think he may have called a play and somebody didn't respond. I could be way off the mark and he simply screwed up, but it's hard to imagine he hadn't told someone what he was planning.
I agree as I mentioned there was a play intended, but in that exact moment no one seemed to be on the same page, as our whole defensive line was broken. It is however the halfbacks job to organise the team for that play but how obvious can he be. And by running to the blind away from the team he wouldn't of had the best view of team to his right. I think he was initially going to kick it into the corner but Cronulla countered that by the chase from marker and the positioning of the backs, there was no space to kick to. Maybe Reynolds should have got the ball instead. They'll get better at those things. We are the only team in around the 8 who hasn't had a consitiant spine all year. That would be leading to the breakdown of such plays and our lack of ability to capitalize on them.