Throwing the season away

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Throwing the season away

Post by 851 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:37 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
I don't know about throwing away the season, but there does need to be a dose of reality for lots of fans.

This team was predicted by a lot of folks to run last, including some Tigers fans. We are 50% win rate and typically are beating the teams below us on the ladder (just two such losses). If we continue to win 50% of games, we'll finish with 12 wins, which will be our best season since 2011, ie best in 7 seasons. It may be enough for finals footy; 13 wins probably is.

We compete every game. Oppositions and opposing fans respect us this year, and every win over Tigers is a big deal to them now. Teams are nervous to play us, whereas we used to just fold under pressure.

Sure thing season could have been more, but it could also have been far worse, e.g. if we'd lost those games to Storm and Roosters.

I'm personally stoked to legitimately think we can win every match, even those matches when we get behind, because this team doesn't give up.

BUT we just flat out lack talent, Tui, fill-ins for Liddle, an aging Benji and injured Reynolds - pretty average spine. We have few match-winners and that makes it difficult in tight matches.

So be disappointed with the close losses and periods of ill-disciplined footy, but also recognise the transformation in this team. a team of nuff-nuffs really, hardly any of them envied by other clubs and hardly troubling rep footy selectors.
Correct but unfortunately some supporters can only see negatives in our season.Progress as slow as it seems is being made
I get that we are a work in progress, I don't get why Tui gets picked after offering nothing in ISP then nothing at NRL level, we have players already at the club to send him packing.
There are other players as well who should be ISP bound, I am happy with where we are, but I think some different selections has us higher up the ladder.
Go hard or go home


Lauren
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun 06 May, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Lauren » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:40 pm

What was everyone’s expectations for this year?

After I watched This Day Forward and the Tigers’ first month of footy, I unrealistically envisioned a year somewhat similar to 2005 for us. I am disappointed our standards have dropped and we are yet to find a consistent or strong team- not of pure class but simply one that’s persistent or tenacious and competes for the full 80 mins. But in saying that there has been overall improvement and we all knew our team’s deficiencies. If you look back at last year, at least we have some hope this year.......and some positives.

ROUND 14 2017
Tigers 18, Roosters 40
Comprehensive victory for the Roosters, who shook off an early Lolohea try to storm back and win easily. The Tigers edge defence was once again a huge concern, giving up break after break as the outside men, especially Blake Ferguson, Latrell Mitchell and Ryan Matterson, took advantage. The spine was strong as well with Pearce grabbing a double and Keary heavily involved, and Connor Watson filled in admirably for Jake Friend, who left in the opening couple of minutes with a head injury.

ROUND 14 2018
Tigers 16, Sharks 24
Cronulla has consolidated its spot in the NRL top eight on the back of a vintage second-half performance from Paul Gallen in a win over the Wests Tigers.
The hosts appeared out of energy and ideas when they trailed a typically stubborn Tigers outfit by eight with half an hour to go at Shark Park on Sunday.
But a nondescript solo try to the oldest player in the competition flipped the contest on its head.

WESTS TIGERS 2017 SEASON STATISTICS
Wins: 7
Losses: 17
Position: 14th
Home Record: 3-9
Away Record: 4-8
Longest Winning Streak: 1 game
Longest Losing Streak: 7 games (Round 10-16)
Players Used: 30
Tries Scored: 70
Tries Conceded: 104

So what did everyone else expect?

Where have we improved? Where are we failing? And what is our strongest squad?
These are the million dollar questions🤔

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 9827
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:44 pm

851 wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:37 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
I don't know about throwing away the season, but there does need to be a dose of reality for lots of fans.

This team was predicted by a lot of folks to run last, including some Tigers fans. We are 50% win rate and typically are beating the teams below us on the ladder (just two such losses). If we continue to win 50% of games, we'll finish with 12 wins, which will be our best season since 2011, ie best in 7 seasons. It may be enough for finals footy; 13 wins probably is.

We compete every game. Oppositions and opposing fans respect us this year, and every win over Tigers is a big deal to them now. Teams are nervous to play us, whereas we used to just fold under pressure.

Sure thing season could have been more, but it could also have been far worse, e.g. if we'd lost those games to Storm and Roosters.

I'm personally stoked to legitimately think we can win every match, even those matches when we get behind, because this team doesn't give up.

BUT we just flat out lack talent, Tui, fill-ins for Liddle, an aging Benji and injured Reynolds - pretty average spine. We have few match-winners and that makes it difficult in tight matches.

So be disappointed with the close losses and periods of ill-disciplined footy, but also recognise the transformation in this team. a team of nuff-nuffs really, hardly any of them envied by other clubs and hardly troubling rep footy selectors.
Correct but unfortunately some supporters can only see negatives in our season.Progress as slow as it seems is being made
I get that we are a work in progress, I don't get why Tui gets picked after offering nothing in ISP then nothing at NRL level, we have players already at the club to send him packing.
There are other players as well who should be ISP bound, I am happy with where we are, but I think some different selections has us higher up the ladder.
Then add to the fact that we keep on shouting ourselves in the foot most games that does my head in the most !

Yeah we have some Nuffies and plodders in our squad but we still should be higher up on the ladder .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:49 pm

It's a weird season, I agree with parts of what everyone is saying, the positive and the negative.

It reminds me of the old fashioned games where you would lose the game but win the fight and feel like you could walk off with pride. We are having a dig, doing all the hard work, and keep finding new ways to lose. Also, refs, in al all games, are foul this year.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3097
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:50 pm

851 wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:37 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
I don't know about throwing away the season, but there does need to be a dose of reality for lots of fans.

This team was predicted by a lot of folks to run last, including some Tigers fans. We are 50% win rate and typically are beating the teams below us on the ladder (just two such losses). If we continue to win 50% of games, we'll finish with 12 wins, which will be our best season since 2011, ie best in 7 seasons. It may be enough for finals footy; 13 wins probably is.

We compete every game. Oppositions and opposing fans respect us this year, and every win over Tigers is a big deal to them now. Teams are nervous to play us, whereas we used to just fold under pressure.

Sure thing season could have been more, but it could also have been far worse, e.g. if we'd lost those games to Storm and Roosters.

I'm personally stoked to legitimately think we can win every match, even those matches when we get behind, because this team doesn't give up.

BUT we just flat out lack talent, Tui, fill-ins for Liddle, an aging Benji and injured Reynolds - pretty average spine. We have few match-winners and that makes it difficult in tight matches.

So be disappointed with the close losses and periods of ill-disciplined footy, but also recognise the transformation in this team. a team of nuff-nuffs really, hardly any of them envied by other clubs and hardly troubling rep footy selectors.
Correct but unfortunately some supporters can only see negatives in our season.Progress as slow as it seems is being made
I get that we are a work in progress, I don't get why Tui gets picked after offering nothing in ISP then nothing at NRL level, we have players already at the club to send him packing.
There are other players as well who should be ISP bound, I am happy with where we are, but I think some different selections has us higher up the ladder.
I agree in regards to Tui he just seems to lack urgency which is one of the most important things you need in NRL.I had us running between 7th - 10th at start of year so we are on track for that.For the first time in many years i can see that we have the right people in the right places.
Certainly we do need targeted recruitment in our weakest positions to go with the overall defensive attitude Cleary has delivered


User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:57 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:50 pm
851 wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:37 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
I don't know about throwing away the season, but there does need to be a dose of reality for lots of fans.

This team was predicted by a lot of folks to run last, including some Tigers fans. We are 50% win rate and typically are beating the teams below us on the ladder (just two such losses). If we continue to win 50% of games, we'll finish with 12 wins, which will be our best season since 2011, ie best in 7 seasons. It may be enough for finals footy; 13 wins probably is.

We compete every game. Oppositions and opposing fans respect us this year, and every win over Tigers is a big deal to them now. Teams are nervous to play us, whereas we used to just fold under pressure.

Sure thing season could have been more, but it could also have been far worse, e.g. if we'd lost those games to Storm and Roosters.

I'm personally stoked to legitimately think we can win every match, even those matches when we get behind, because this team doesn't give up.

BUT we just flat out lack talent, Tui, fill-ins for Liddle, an aging Benji and injured Reynolds - pretty average spine. We have few match-winners and that makes it difficult in tight matches.

So be disappointed with the close losses and periods of ill-disciplined footy, but also recognise the transformation in this team. a team of nuff-nuffs really, hardly any of them envied by other clubs and hardly troubling rep footy selectors.
Correct but unfortunately some supporters can only see negatives in our season.Progress as slow as it seems is being made
I get that we are a work in progress, I don't get why Tui gets picked after offering nothing in ISP then nothing at NRL level, we have players already at the club to send him packing.
There are other players as well who should be ISP bound, I am happy with where we are, but I think some different selections has us higher up the ladder.
I agree in regards to Tui he just seems to lack urgency which is one of the most important things you need in NRL.I had us running between 7th - 10th at start of year so we are on track for that.For the first time in many years i can see that we have the right people in the right places.
Certainly we do need targeted recruitment in our weakest positions to go with the overall defensive attitude Cleary has delivered
I backed us to make the 8 in february, so I was sort of confident of 6 to 8th finish.
Go hard or go home

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:43 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 4:18 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 3:55 pm
voice of reason wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 3:15 pm
As a realist, I think our current ladder position is about right. The teams ahead are better than us and the teams behind are worse. With a touch of luck we could jag a final's spot and who knows from there.
There's little doubt we've been dudded a couple of times but aside from the frustration of constantly tight games, I've enjoyed being competitive in a season I thought we'd be doing much worse.
My sincere hope is that Liddle morphs into Damien Cook in the future (and I do think that's possible). We desperately need a solution at 9 - the modern game demands a quality hooker for success.
Problem is that he is the size of a garden gnome and staying healthy is going to be hard for him.
I hope that he can stand up to the rigours of first grade, but have strong doubts.
Ok once and for all - let's get the facts.

Jacob Liddle is not little, by comparison looks like there are a few more gnomes around.

Jacob Liddle 21 y.o 184cm 91kg
Cameron Smith 34 y.o 185cm 90kg
Andrew McCulloch 28 y.o 180cm 90kg
Damien Cook 26 y.o 180cm 88kg
Not small, just fragile.

User avatar
westTAHger
Member
Member
Posts: 4734
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: With the Groovy Ghoulies

Post by westTAHger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm

Be nice to win 3-4 games in a row, at this time of the season.
Been guilty of expecting more, due to the good start of the season.
Which has led to frustration, and venting.
Who honestly knows, what the remaining games will bring.
All we can do is support and observe the team we have unlimited passion for.
Image
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5732
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 11:57 pm

hobbo wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:44 pm
851 wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:37 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
I don't know about throwing away the season, but there does need to be a dose of reality for lots of fans.

This team was predicted by a lot of folks to run last, including some Tigers fans. We are 50% win rate and typically are beating the teams below us on the ladder (just two such losses). If we continue to win 50% of games, we'll finish with 12 wins, which will be our best season since 2011, ie best in 7 seasons. It may be enough for finals footy; 13 wins probably is.

We compete every game. Oppositions and opposing fans respect us this year, and every win over Tigers is a big deal to them now. Teams are nervous to play us, whereas we used to just fold under pressure.

Sure thing season could have been more, but it could also have been far worse, e.g. if we'd lost those games to Storm and Roosters.

I'm personally stoked to legitimately think we can win every match, even those matches when we get behind, because this team doesn't give up.

BUT we just flat out lack talent, Tui, fill-ins for Liddle, an aging Benji and injured Reynolds - pretty average spine. We have few match-winners and that makes it difficult in tight matches.

So be disappointed with the close losses and periods of ill-disciplined footy, but also recognise the transformation in this team. a team of nuff-nuffs really, hardly any of them envied by other clubs and hardly troubling rep footy selectors.
Correct but unfortunately some supporters can only see negatives in our season.Progress as slow as it seems is being made
I get that we are a work in progress, I don't get why Tui gets picked after offering nothing in ISP then nothing at NRL level, we have players already at the club to send him packing.
There are other players as well who should be ISP bound, I am happy with where we are, but I think some different selections has us higher up the ladder.
Then add to the fact that we keep on shouting ourselves in the foot most games that does my head in the most !

Yeah we have some Nuffies and plodders in our squad but we still should be higher up on the ladder .
Why should we be higher?

We have an average roster, and are placed middle of the table. That's about right. Are we a better side than the Broncos or the Sharks? Because those are the two teams ahead of us.

If you mean we should be higher because there were games we could have won, well that's ignoring the games we could have lost. Average teams win about half their games - half the close ones, half the night ones, half the wet ones etc.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5732
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 12:01 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:23 pm
Soo content..mkay...
Not content. Greedy for wins but realistic about what to expect from this roster.

Tui is copping a heap of flack but there were 2 others letting Gallen score, the whole middle watching Holmes score, Tim Grant letting Ramien thru the line and Corey Thompson having a ball passed over his head. Weaknesses all over the paddock.

At least we defend our line pretty well.

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40179
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 8:44 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 4:16 pm
Geo. wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 4:00 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 3:55 pm
voice of reason wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 3:15 pm
As a realist, I think our current ladder position is about right. The teams ahead are better than us and the teams behind are worse. With a touch of luck we could jag a final's spot and who knows from there.
There's little doubt we've been dudded a couple of times but aside from the frustration of constantly tight games, I've enjoyed being competitive in a season I thought we'd be doing much worse.
My sincere hope is that Liddle morphs into Damien Cook in the future (and I do think that's possible). We desperately need a solution at 9 - the modern game demands a quality hooker for success.
Problem is that he is the size of a garden gnome and staying healthy is going to be hard for him.
I hope that he can stand up to the rigours of first grade, but have strong doubts.
Same height and weight as Cammy 'the gnome' Smith
Certainly doesn’t look like he is, but if that’s a fact that’s fine,
When Jacob is borrowing Geo's stiletto's perhaps .........

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:24 am

I posted earlier that the next 3 weeks will define our season- Raiders, Titans, bye. Both games are at home (wherever the hell that is!). If we want to finish in top 8 we must get 6 points in the next 4 weeks (also a no points bye in there).
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4615
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:35 am

If Jacob is 91Kg he must have balls of steel
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:52 am

I'd have Robson on the bench over Godinet and McIlwrick. Get him an NRL contract and watch him go. Outstanding young player.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5732
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:59 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 12 Jun, 2018 9:24 am
I posted earlier that the next 3 weeks will define our season- Raiders, Titans, bye. Both games are at home (wherever the hell that is!). If we want to finish in top 8 we must get 6 points in the next 4 weeks (also a no points bye in there).
Good call.

What we really need to do is to ensure we beat most of the teams below us. We need about 6 more wins to be confident of a Top 8 spot, so 1 plus bye in the next 3 will hold us afloat, but 2 wins and the bye will take a really big chunk out of what remains.

As far as I can tell teams don't think that way, they just think week-to-week.

But as I posted before, Tigers this year are pretty good at finding a way to beat the lower-ranked sides - we've won 4 and lost 2. And Raiders and Titans just happen to be the last of the Bottom 8 sides we haven't played yet.

Tough games though, they aren't rubbish teams.

User avatar
the third
Member
Member
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: here and there

Post by the third » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 7:35 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:55 pm
the third wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
Game. Set. Match
Lol you went off to early mate. Hope that’s not a common thing in your life, because if it is I feel sorry for your partner.
Trust me mate it’s not a problem I have, neither is having a reasonable conversation or joke with people of differing opinions without making it personal.

Post Reply