WESTS Tigers Team V Canberra....

TIGER

Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Canberra....

Post by TIGER » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 2:09 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 13 Jun, 2018 1:38 pm
I hate it how some fans ignore context and purely look at stats when criticising players.
We typically have backs doing 3 of the 5 hitups each set - of course this means the forwards take fewer hitups. Players like Fonua and Masters do more than their share of grunt work. Also players like Packer and matulino often do a little short pass close to the line to a team mate pushing up. So another run which doesn't count as a hitup.
Also if we don't have possession during a certain period of the game it's logical that our players will have higher tackle stats than metres made. Packer and Matulino are doing fine... Room for improvement sure but they're contributing a lot.

I'm not sure where ET fits into our team though. He's not a good hooker. Eiso can play the same minutes, make as many tackles and make far more metres and should be our lock. ET can't break the line or make metres in attack so shouldn't really be in the back row either. Maybe competing with Rochow for the RSW spot but that's not ideal.

Really hope Gamble comes onto the bench, thing is grub isn't fit enough to play 80 mins at 5/8 and a spell at hooker, and Liddle isn't fit enough yet either.

Agree about ET I haven't been able to find a spot for him either, ive been saying it all year he provides very little, but for some reason he's a forum favorite just because he makes 38 tackles a game.
He's the David Stagg of the WTs.

Don't agree about Packerlino, we need them smashing over the advantage line busting tackles creating half chances getting offloads away etc just dominating through the middle and they're not and there's no excuses.

Clifferd

Post by Clifferd » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 2:39 pm

I remember Matulino breaking tackles and having a killer offload at the warriors - what’s doing there? Maybe not being utilised properly. His defense is strong though I’ll give him that

Packer has always striked me as one of those no non sense props that quickly get you on the front foot but once again not seeing it. Looks injured to me

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 3:13 pm

Generally speaking, our team isn't capable of offloading. We make so many mistakes as it is. The more we offload, the more mistakes we'll make. Our players simply switch off, have poor ball skills and can't catch the ball. That's why (i'm guessing) as a general rule Ivan has told our players not to offload unless your hands are totally free and there's a team mate with ready to catch the ball - unless we're in the final minutes and need to create something in which case why not...

The lack of a fullback who supports also doesn't help.

It's a pity as we do have a number of players who can offload.

Mats is still making good metres. Packer's metres are slightly down but still pretty decent, and he gets good play the balls. You want them to do more then ask Ivan to tell Mahe, Kev and Esan to stop running from dummy half so much.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 5:53 pm

I’m hoping with Thompson at FB this week we’ll see more offloads from our pack through the middle. He’ll be there to back them up!

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 6:34 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
I hate it how some fans ignore context and purely look at stats when criticising players.
We typically have backs doing 3 of the 5 hitups each set - of course this means the forwards take fewer hitups. Players like Fonua and Masters do more than their share of grunt work. Also players like Packer and matulino often do a little short pass close to the line to a team mate pushing up. So another run which doesn't count as a hitup.
Also if we don't have possession during a certain period of the game it's logical that our players will have higher tackle stats than metres made. Packer and Matulino are doing fine... Room for improvement sure but they're contributing a lot.

I'm not sure where ET fits into our team though. He's not a good hooker. Eiso can play the same minutes, make as many tackles and make far more metres and should be our lock. ET can't break the line or make metres in attack so shouldn't really be in the back row either. Maybe competing with Rochow for the RSW spot but that's not ideal.

Really hope Gamble comes onto the bench, thing is grub isn't fit enough to play 80 mins at 5/8 and a spell at hooker, and Liddle isn't fit enough yet either.
I been thinking it for a while that ET may end up the odd man out.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 6:51 pm

TCL wrote:
Wed 13 Jun, 2018 6:34 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

I been thinking it for a while that ET may end up the odd man out.
I have thought that a couple times also but our defence is so much better with him in the team. My pet hate is soft tries up the middle like the Paul Gallen one. Just look at the disgust on ETs face when he scores.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 7:33 pm

ET definitely looks the odd man out in the future, but that team is a few years away at best (if ever). A lot of his tackles come as third man in taking out the legs and getting the guy to the floor. He and Packer are the only reason we ever stand a chance through the middle of the field because bar Matulino, the rest of our forwards generally get beaten in contact. We’ve seen it cost us big time against the likes of Newcastle where the bigger outside backs just roll through our middle off the back of quick play the balls.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:31 pm

It absolutely stuns me that some see ET as a week link or a liability of some sort within this average team. He's a machine, does a tonne of work, slows the ptb better than anyone and gives us plenty of options if unjuries occur.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 3:02 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Wed 13 Jun, 2018 1:59 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

The Supercoach Generation mate. It's skewed ratings of players dramatically.

ET should be right edge or nothing

I'd have Gamble doing the role Benji was slated for, 20-30 mins off the bench replacing the hooker with Grub moving into the 9
I quite like your idea there but I don’t think it will happen tho. Be a tough call by Ivan at this stage in the season to do it but it’s got a lot of merit by me.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 6:10 pm

Any chance that Matt McIllwrick has been selected to entice another club to take on his contract?

Dogs, Souths for instance?
Its an opinion!

BalmainJnr

Post by BalmainJnr » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 8:44 pm

Gamble to get a go this week according to nrl.com

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/24/nrl ... late-mail/

Good on ya kid, rip in and play whats in front of you. No fear!
Its an opinion!

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:04 pm

Wonder where he will play?

Similar role to what Benji was supposed to?

Gamble on at 5/8 and Reynolds to DH.

Maybe its Clearys way of telling him that Mbye doesn't spell the end of his opportunities.

Could be the spark we need to the finals.

1. Moses Mbye
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks
9. Jacob Liddle

14. Tyson Gamble

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:43 pm

Hope Gamble has a great game and we put 50 on the Raiders and Ricky kicks a chair over the goal posts.

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 10:24 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:43 pm
Hope Gamble has a great game and we put 50 on the Raiders and Ricky kicks a chair over the goal posts.

Sironen debuted against the Raiders.

Similar body frames.

We pumped em that day ;)

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 10:28 pm

Milky wrote:
Fri 15 Jun, 2018 10:24 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:
Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:43 pm

Sironen debuted against the Raiders.

Similar body frames.

We pumped em that day ;)
Cowboys at Campbelltown

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 10:55 pm

Milky wrote:
Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:04 pm
Wonder where he will play?

Similar role to what Benji was supposed to?

Gamble on at 5/8 and Reynolds to DH.

Maybe its Clearys way of telling him that Mbye doesn't spell the end of his opportunities.

Could be the spark we need to the finals.

1. Moses Mbye
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks
9. Jacob Liddle

14. Tyson Gamble
Yeah I'd say Gamble to 5/8 and Reynolds to hooker would be the plan. I suppose it was that or running the 4 forwards bench with ET to play some hooker. I like what he's gone with. It'll be interesting to see how Gamble handles the big stage. The Raiders probably won't know much about him and his bag of tricks.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 11:27 pm

Well Ivan’s certainly mixed things up this week. Everyone will be on their toes. Go Tigers 🐅
Need more props.