Campbelltown

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Re: Campbelltown

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:57 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:43 pm
The club has to establish itself with playing at one home ground ..this is not a joint venture anymore . The West’s group have to make this decision and as quickly as possible ...give the players a home .., give the supporters a home PLEASE!
Very passionate plea and very true! I think it should be Leichhardt but I’ll settle for Parra.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.


Clearyweareone
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:23 pm

Post by Clearyweareone » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 10:06 pm

The 16 players (Chris Lawrence is the only exception) should personally ring Members who turned up to Campbelltown today and explain to them why their lack of efforts deserves our support, time and money.

The players should be made to purchase tickets from their salaries (like Jennings had to do at Penrith) and hand them out at next home game.

During the week they should be made to watch a replay of the match over and over again.

I can in some ways deal with lack of class and speed in our team but I can't deal with lack of effort, lack of heart and lack of pride in our jersey.

Sorry but I agree Campbelltown should not be one of our home venues

Also I would like one captain only, that being Chris Lawrence.

User avatar
Cats Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by Cats Fan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:09 am

The area has been neglected by Wests Tigers, you reap what you sow!

Dazza-96
Member
Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 3:59 pm

Post by Dazza-96 » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:13 am

I remember before the renovations it was basically a sell out all the time. Last time we got a good crowd out here was the Titans game when we were a finals chance

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 7:16 am

voice of reason wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm
cktiger wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm
The whole western Sydney thing is a sham.
The people who live there support a multitude of teams and don’t turn up.
This is an astute observation.
Much of the population of the greater Campbelltown region have moved to the area when starting out in family life - just married, first house etc. People of this age have already determined their team allegiances and are unlikely to change them when they move. I did it myself when I first got married.
Realistically, I think it will be at least another generation before we have a majority of WT supporters in the Macarthur region - and that's based on their parents not moving back out once they're financially established.
My thoughts exactly. Only a completely new team will encoursage fan growth /interest in that area.
You are not going to follow Wests Tigers just cause you move into the area. Allegiances to other clubs are already established with the population when they move there.
Only kids who make a link with the team may change allegiance and they dont have money to spend, and the club doesnt have the finances and time to wait around for that to possibly occur - and in the meantime alienate the areas and fans they already have.
Other clubs probably have just as many fans in the area as the Wests Tigers have.
It has to be all or nothing for it to work as far as I can see which presents a risk that the club is probably not prepared to take.


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:06 am

Knuckles wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:47 pm
The atmosphere against Brisbane was Ok ...... but whether the club does enough to promote the game in the region only the locals can answer.
Very poor crowd there yesterday. As a local I can confirm that the promotion was abysmal. When getting off the train, did you notice the add on the footpath for the Tonga v Samoa test next week. Plenty of promotion for that, but none for the NRL game from either Wests, the NRL or the council.

This is nothing new, my 2 daughters get more visits at their school from GWS than they do the tigers and because of that are more interested in AFL.

User avatar
Sabre
Member
Member
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town

Post by Sabre » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:17 am

Eddie wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:30 pm
This will piss people off however to me it feels like the heartbeat of the club is in the Inner West.
Always has been in my opinion.

Furious1
Member
Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:42 pm

Post by Furious1 » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:18 am

Personally i think the layout of the ground isn't conducive to a great atmosphere. Both grandstands are relatively small and with the way the hills are the field isn't below it's surroundings, which takes away from any sort of "crowd is on top of the players" type atmosphere. I hope we persist in embracing the area and to be perfectly honest, feel the opportunity for ground redevelopment could have had a much stronger case had the COE been proposed for the same complex.

I know yesterday when we were out there most people around me were too busy shivering and trying to keep warm. Anyone that thinks it was a nice sunny Sunday arvo to go to the footy obviously wasn't there. I saw some families with young kids take off at halftime due to the cold and we were leading the game.

tigerbenji
Member
Member
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 12:48 pm

Post by tigerbenji » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:21 am

Cats Fan you are spot on, you wouldnt of known the game was on there, yep 10,000 odd poor crowd. Look at the games they get out there not real crowd pullers, yes i know we really had to win that game but as Cats Fan said you reap what you sow.

User avatar
foreveratiger
Member
Member
Posts: 12039
Joined: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:32 am

Telltails wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 7:16 am
voice of reason wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm
cktiger wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm
The whole western Sydney thing is a sham.
The people who live there support a multitude of teams and don’t turn up.
This is an astute observation.
Much of the population of the greater Campbelltown region have moved to the area when starting out in family life - just married, first house etc. People of this age have already determined their team allegiances and are unlikely to change them when they move. I did it myself when I first got married.
Realistically, I think it will be at least another generation before we have a majority of WT supporters in the Macarthur region - and that's based on their parents not moving back out once they're financially established.
My thoughts exactly. Only a completely new team will encoursage fan growth /interest in that area.
You are not going to follow Wests Tigers just cause you move into the area. Allegiances to other clubs are already established with the population when they move there.
Only kids who make a link with the team may change allegiance and they dont have money to spend, and the club doesnt have the finances and time to wait around for that to possibly occur - and in the meantime alienate the areas and fans they already have.
Other clubs probably have just as many fans in the area as the Wests Tigers have.
It has to be all or nothing for it to work as far as I can see which presents a risk that the club is probably not prepared to take.
Spot on.

I know with me I was a die hard Balmain fan and I lived no where near Leichardt.
What appeals to kids when they start watching the game at a young age? I know with me it was watching someone like Ellery Hanley and admiring how much influence he had on a side, also the try saving tackles of Garry Jack had me drawn to the Club.

Seriously what has our Club had going the past how many years that would attract the youngens to be die hard Wests Tigers fans?
We have 3 grounds that we keep arguing which ground is better than the other, had players playing for other Clubs which we still have had to pay for, once in a generation type of player like Tedesco feeling there's no future staying with us, consistently loosing more than we win.....i mean I can keep going.

Winning football games and having heros they can aspire to be will bring crowds in unfortunately we don't have that.

But on Campbelltown it is a bad time to play at 4pm Sunday when kids and families have school and work next day, unless you don't live in the area your not going to be travelling from the City unless your on a 5 game winning streak and in good form.....that's what I reckon anyway.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

UnderTheBus
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by UnderTheBus » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:46 am

I have been a member for 10 years and attended almost every home game during this time (how i don't know). Wests Tigers are all i know..attending a game at Cambelltown is like you're in a bad dream. You want to scream and cheer your team, try and get them over the line, but it just doesn't happen...It's a shame because it's a wonderful ground, great facilities with the club next door, next to the train line with ample parking. I'll reserve judgment until we are a top 8 team again, but times ticking.

User avatar
Icon
Member
Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:38 am

Post by Icon » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:03 am

I think the person that posted a 10,000+ crowd was a bit reckless with the truth. I reckon about 7,000 and 2,000 of those were raiders supporters, I reckon about 5,000 of those were wests tigers supporters, and I wonder how many of those come from other areas of Sydney like me. "Growth is in Campbelltown'' line, is the biggest myth perpetrated on us since religion.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5697
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:09 am

Thankfully this hasnt turned into a Wests v Balmain thing. Its shows that the fans have moved on from the old clubs.

Maybe now the board will start making some calls to benefit the Wests Tigers. Were dead set morons if we're not full-time out of Parra when its built.

Carefactor
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 6:28 pm

Post by Carefactor » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:29 am

Eddie wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:30 pm
This will piss people off however to me it feels like the heartbeat of the club is in the Inner West.

Ashfield Leagues run the club. We train at Concord. We get most Support and win more at Leichhardt.

I dont know what the answer is but moving out there full tine would be the death of the club for me.
100% with you.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:06 am

Cats Fan wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:09 am
The area has been neglected by Wests Tigers, you reap what you sow!
THAT MY FRIEND IS UTTER RUBBISH!!!

They are out in that area heaps of times during t he year, shopping centres, schools, hospitals etc.

What do you want them to do set up tents on Campelltown oval?''

Time to give the area the flick.

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:16 am

Sabre wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:17 am
Eddie wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:30 pm
This will piss people off however to me it feels like the heartbeat of the club is in the Inner West.
Always has been in my opinion.
Originally I thought going to Campbelltown would generate the benefit coming from the large numbers of junior footballers in that area. Has that happened?

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4231
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:20 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:57 pm
Snake wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:43 pm
The club has to establish itself with playing at one home ground ..this is not a joint venture anymore . The West’s group have to make this decision and as quickly as possible ...give the players a home .., give the supporters a home PLEASE!
Very passionate plea and very true! I think it should be Leichhardt but I’ll settle for Parra.
I'll settle for the new stadium in Parra too.
No more plodders!
:sign:

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:28 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:06 am
Cats Fan wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:09 am
The area has been neglected by Wests Tigers, you reap what you sow!
THAT MY FRIEND IS UTTER RUBBISH!!!

They are out in that area heaps of times during t he year, shopping centres, schools, hospitals etc.

What do you want them to do set up tents on Campelltown oval?''

Time to give the area the flick.
My kids go to school out here. The oldest is in year 4. In all her years at school there has been 1 visit from the tigers. Her school was visited by an u20's player and a reserve grade bench player. Compare that to at least 6 visits from name GWS players.

The club ignores the area.

Post Reply