Campbelltown

diedpretty

Re: Campbelltown

Post by diedpretty » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:18 pm

Finally people are questioning the myth of Leichhardt Oval. When will people get it that we will not be playing our home games at LO or CSS. Either embrace WSS or get off the bus.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:46 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:18 pm
Finally people are questioning the myth of Leichhardt Oval. When will people get it that we will not be playing our home games at LO or CSS. Either embrace WSS or get off the bus.
Like the COE, I'll believe it when i see it.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:54 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Leichhardt oval is no myth.
It depends if you understand the context of why people go on about the place.
Nobody's saying we are unbeatable there ... but most supporters love it because it has character.
Doubt you'll find too many players from ours, or any team, who don't like playing there either.
I hope your not embracing WSS too much ... there isn't any bus from the Tigers that's been commissioned to go there yet.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 12:01 am

cktiger wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:54 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Nobody's saying we are unbeatable there ... but most supporters love it because it has character.
Doubt you'll find too many players from ours, or any team, who don't like playing there either.
I hope your not embracing WSS too much ... there isn't any bus from the Tigers that's been commissioned to go there yet.
I wonder why opposition players like playing there? Lol

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 1:23 am

cktiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
I don't think Thurston is a fan of LO

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 5:38 am

I agree LO has character & history, a lot is personal and for each individual... Ive been going there for nearly 50 years

My last game there however was last round last years win over the warriors...we won the game but there was zero atmosphere from the 10k crowd

Grounds dont produce atmosphere...people and games do

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 7:18 am

I remember being at Lidcombe Oval with about 3,000 other hardy souls and we had a great atmosphere ...... when the game was close that is ...

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 7:21 am

diedpretty wrote:
Everyone knows my opinion on this , if there was one ground that has to stay for a minimum of games it would be LO as this ground is a Traditional league venue and is part of the heritage of the game! Campbelltown has no tradition and does not fall into the traditional supporter base that the club has ...it has no real support there.
My preference from next season is a 10 WSS and 2 with LO ON Sunday afternoons, but I suppose this new idea of taking a game to the country will have to be slotted in . I see no reason why if the bulk of the games are played out of WSS and the extra money the club would benefit from in increased ticketed memberships from basically one home ground there would be a need to take away a game from the supporters.
It is all up,to the board now as this decision will need to be made soon as the new stadium will be online within 12 Months.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 7:28 am

cktiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
It's the footballing myth of my dreams!

Watched footy in most stadiums and nothing comes close the LO experience for a regular round. Campbelltown is good but the stars need to align to get a crowd, we need to be winning games, play the right opposition, right day, time and weather.

Parra stadium or sorry wss is closer to me but if it's parra centric then it won't work for me.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 8:29 am

Bengaliwolf wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:55 pm
Bengaliwolf wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:39 pm
To those who are saying that a crowd of 10,000 is poor when your team is coming in to the game 2-6 and playing worse each week, the weather is freezing cold, and when the team only invests 3 games in the season at the ground, what do you expect? That game wouldn't have been packed out at Leichhardt either and at ANZ the atmosphere would be awful.

The biggest crowd for the round was 16,000 and the average was 11,000. I don't think you can base the "ditch Campbelltown" mantra on this week's game.
True - I base my opinion on every experience I’ve had at this ground: a history of poor crowds and an atmosphere to rival ANZ. Leichhardt or bust! (Or Parra I suppose)
Harsh comment to say the atmosphere rivals ANZ. But the topic of atmosphere is highly subjective. What is it about Leichhardt's atmosphere that makes you think it's better than anywhere else?

On the crowd figures, how many people need to turn up to Campbelltown games for this forum to be happy? Over the last 18 years crowds have averaged 12,312 at Campbelltown and 13,087 at Leichhardt.

Hardly a big enough difference to say Campbelltown has poor crowds compared to Leichhardt. What's the magic number?
You’re right it is subjective. It just seems that the crowd are more involved in the game at Leichhardt. I can’t remember which player said it but it was said that our first game at Leichhardt this year seemed like the first home game - it was round 10. Everyone lifts at Leichhardt- fans and players.

Yeah I know it’s not economical and will never be our home ground full time but I reckon if you asked the players what their favourite is - Leichhardt would romp it home
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 8:41 am

Have said if WSS is locked in for Parra Eels with stands named after their players and with the Leagues club next door - it is a no from me. Don't care how good it will be and it is only up the road from me. Would rather ANZ with no atmosphere.

If we had to keep one of our traditional grounds for a couple of games I would rather it be LO than CSS. However with the Magic weekend proposed for next year at Suncorp (depending on which weekend) we could lose another home game as well as the Tamworth game and is the NZ game on again next year? That could be three we lose.

If the Canada Bay / Concord Oval deal and the NRL money are fair dinkum for the C of E is a revamp of Concord Oval a possibility - closer to the traditional areas and not to far away from the Wests / Tigers Leagues Club at Ashfield?

Just a suggestion for comment - know it will cost dough.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 8:50 am

The magpies were at Campbelltown full time for nearly 20 years, and the region never really embraced them. The generations of kids that grew up there didn't make the magpies their own side in the same way that Penrith locals made the Panthers their own.

People considered the magpies to be blow ins from the inner-west, and they probably feel the same about the Wests Tigers.

Alot probably has to do with on-field success. The magpies were a rabble for most of the time they were based in Campbelltown, and unfortunately the Wests Tigers have been too.

I don't want the club to abandon the area, but the Club is a JV between Wests Ashfield and Balmain, based at Concord. Truth is we are an inner-western Sydney based Club, and i doubt that will change anytime soon.

Smarter people than me need to crack the Campo conundrum ... how do we get the area to embrace the side, without abandoning our financial and traditional base in the inner-west?

I'd say becoming consistently successful on the field has a lot to do with it.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 9:05 am

Well said Abe, agree

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:25 am

Knuckles wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 7:18 am
I remember being at Lidcombe Oval with about 3,000 other hardy souls and we had a great atmosphere ...... when the game was close that is ...
Loved going to Lidcombe as well, and went plenty of times, as it was close to home then and I had a few Magpie mad mates.

For whatever reason Campbelltown has never really caught on.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:34 am

In '05 '10/11 Cambo was on fire..

I wonder..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 7:34 am

Knuckles wrote:
Didnt like lidcome. Oval shape you dont feel close

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 7:39 am

Cambo sucks and we always loose get rid of it.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 7:58 am

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 7:34 am
Knuckles wrote:
Didnt like lidcome. Oval shape you dont feel close
It had the velodrome around the paddock, I used it for years for cycling when there was no more league played there. If you go to country grounds you will find it full of horse poo from the trotters the night before the game.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)