Elijah Taylor

User avatar
Sabre
Member
Member
Posts: 6917
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town

Re: Elijah Taylor

Post by Sabre » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:54 pm

Newtown wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:43 pm
Sabre wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:12 pm
I don't want this to be one of those 'we lost, let's drop everyone' threads, but what the hell has happened to him? I know he's playing out of position but he has been well below par this season. That includes defence.
When the coach wants you to play a full eighty minute game combining dummy half play and an important defence role you would get very fatigued as early as the first ten minutes of the second half. That's what happened to Taylor and its not his fault. Wests Tigers have been on a suicide mission throughout this season just depending on one hooker in each match. Today was the worst - the team had no hooker/dummy half from relatively early in the match. West Tigers this year resemble a team being held together by just band aids. Unfortunately the likely outcome has come to fruition in the second half of the season.
Problem is it's not just games when he has to play dummy half, if it was then I would be more understanding. But even as a backrower the exact same issue has been there.


hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10102
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:57 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:54 pm
Newtown wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:43 pm
Sabre wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:12 pm
I don't want this to be one of those 'we lost, let's drop everyone' threads, but what the hell has happened to him? I know he's playing out of position but he has been well below par this season. That includes defence.
When the coach wants you to play a full eighty minute game combining dummy half play and an important defence role you would get very fatigued as early as the first ten minutes of the second half. That's what happened to Taylor and its not his fault. Wests Tigers have been on a suicide mission throughout this season just depending on one hooker in each match. Today was the worst - the team had no hooker/dummy half from relatively early in the match. West Tigers this year resemble a team being held together by just band aids. Unfortunately the likely outcome has come to fruition in the second half of the season.
Problem is it's not just games when he has to play dummy half, if it was then I would be more understanding. But even as a backrower the exact same issue has been there.
He might make 50 tackles per game but he sucks bad at dummy half and offers zilch with the ball in hand ...
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 28914
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:59 pm

Any word on what happened to McIllwrick?
Went off and didnt return I think

Fonua looked badly injured too

User avatar
quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:17 am

Post by quintus » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:09 pm

This is the first time I have felt sorry for myself in sixty years as a rugby league man.... I am a Wests Tigers supporter through and through but let me say this truthfully....We are light years away from winning the competition.... :sign:

User avatar
notarealtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed 12 Aug, 2015 7:24 pm

Post by notarealtiger » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:13 pm

Probably the worst game I've seen him play for Wests Tigers.

He'll bounce back in a few weeks, as long as he doesn't play 9. Need him as an edge second rower and linking up with the halves. Ironically Jason Taylor used him better.


User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:17 pm

Bula wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:45 pm
No running game. No passing game. No organisation. No kicking game. Can tackle a bit when they run at him. Lots of flops for stats. Apart from that its all good.
Pretty much sums him up

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2935
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:20 pm

We could have one of these for almost everyone of our players today. You don't get belted by 36 points by having a few bad players or bad calls.

Spacecub
Member
Member
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun 23 Apr, 2017 5:30 pm

Post by Spacecub » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:51 pm

We will never be a true force as long as we persist with being an easy option for other teams rejects....Taylor and zelezniak were cut by gus due to there mediocrity...old saying u cant polish a turd

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:28 am

I never expected him to make big metres or make the dirty hit-ups, but he was a clever footballer and great defender (particularly controlling the middle). His defence recently has been terrible, he is missing and falling off tackles badly.

Furious1
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:42 pm

Post by Furious1 » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:41 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:33 pm
Doesn't add anything. Even if he is playing lock...name one other NRL team who plays a lock who can't run the ball? A lock who doesnt charge over the advantage line?

The game in 2018 is all about getting over the advantage line and we are lucky to get 30m out of ET in any game. Unfortunately the game has changed and you can't carry players like this anymore. It puts to much pressure on other players to run the ball.
The game has ALWAYS been about that. You're right though, the effort is usually there but he just isn't big enough or dynamic enough to play in the forwards in todays game.

andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:22 am

Elijah is a player who like Chris Lawrence will do what ever is needed for the team , if the coach says I need you to play here , they would just do it , he is not a 9 but tries and yes , Yesterday he was not good but so were about 11 others , he will play his normal game when Ivan gets his team sorted ,

Brooks , Reynolds , Maybe Farrah , will Fix up the Halves
Mosses to Fullback helps in another spot

We could still do with another big Body up front with Packer and Matts ( Woods ) or similar

Taylor and Lawrence into the back row , they both play great their , Lawrence been Great
Huth to Lock

Nofo and Kev on the wings ,
Masters and Thompson in the centre , Thompson with his speed
Bench , Twal , Fonua , Marshall , ?

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:32 am

ET is a specialist lock can play no other position. He is a tackling machine who makes it easier for the forwards to focus on making metres rather than only defence. He can’t be selected at 9 ever again. He’s either lock or in NSW cup it’s that simple Cleary needs to select a side and stick with it if ether remaining games.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:33 am

Taylor’s had the life sucked out of him by Cleary insisting on using him at hooker. It’s clear that he doesn’t want to play there, and other players in the side don’t want him there either.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:08 am

I think it'd be best if he moved on to NZ or to the UK next season. Can't find a spot for him in my 17. Not our best lock, not a second rower, and not a hooker.

Both he and Lawrence seem to get concussed every second week. Not good

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:50 pm

It's simple, he's past it!!!
The game has passed his type of player by, and it happened a few seasons ago.
He wouldn't make the 17 in 95% of clubs in the NRL.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:59 pm
Any word on what happened to McIllwrick?
Went off and didnt return I think

Fonua looked badly injured too
Ankle, they said he would only come back in an emergency. 48-12 scoreline wasn't enough of one I'd imagine :lol:
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Silentio
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon 01 Jun, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Silentio » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:14 pm

ET is a super nice bloke but the harsh truth is that he was axed by the Panthers and isn't the world's greatest player.

He's no hooker. He does not pass well enough and isn't quick enough. This is no secret. The fact he's playing hooker ahead of others shows how thin we are in this position.

While he puts in, he's no lock either. In 2018 locks are more like front rowers, think Sam Burgess and Taumalolo. That's probably why Eisenhuth has claimed the 13 jumper.

There's probably a spot for him to do the 'donkey work' to take pressure off others. At last I hope so, he's contracted until the end of 2020.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:25 pm

Silentio wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:14 pm
ET is a super nice bloke but the harsh truth is that he was axed by the Panthers and isn't the world's greatest player.

He's no hooker. He does not pass well enough and isn't quick enough. This is no secret. The fact he's playing hooker ahead of others shows how thin we are in this position.

While he puts in, he's no lock either. In 2018 locks are more like front rowers, think Sam Burgess and Taumalolo. That's probably why Eisenhuth has claimed the 13 jumper.

There's probably a spot for him to do the 'donkey work' to take pressure off others. At last I hope so, he's contracted until the end of 2020.
When he first got here he was being utilised as a ball playing lock which was good because it gave us an extra set of hands in attack and was effective to start with. It slowly got eroded out of his game and now Cleary uses him as a semi permanent DH where his passing game has rapidly become terrible.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Post Reply