Re: Cleary: "That's not what we're about"

Post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 5:41 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 9:31 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:56 pm
foreveratiger wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:53 pm
I always knew Gus knew what he was doing .

" I still don't know what my best side is " :lol: :lol: Classic!!!!!! Sorry Ivan if you read the Forum ;)
1 flogging you turn what happened... :lol:
I would not slit my wrist if Ivan left put it that way.

You can maybe think that in the back of your mind and have doubts.....but to come out with that ? Nah shocking in my book.
His had a whole Pre Season with this squad , Trial games etc...... :?

How many hookers have we had ? Killa , Liddle , Godinet , Taylor , Reynolds , then been back and forth with Lolohea and Thompson at Fullback , then starts the year with Nofo in Reserve Grade before bringing him back a couple weeks later , Naiqama in and out

Enough said ?

I really don't know anymore , i sort of feel for Mbye.

Thompson and Lawrence have been standouts all year the real positive for the year .

Packer and Reynolds are loving there pay days , pretty sweet to do bugger all and collect about $35,000 Net per Month , life's good why wouldn't you come to us and plodder on.
Yet, people call for changes and accountability after losses....
You cant have it both ways

Joel_Caine_Fan_82

Post by Joel_Caine_Fan_82 » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 5:41 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:17 pm
The knives are coming out for Ivan quick now
I think that's very unfair
Let's not forget that Ivan said this was a rebuilding year and it would take time
It's fair to say that if ivan could pick a team from all players in the NRL the team would not look anything like it does now
We still need a few more upgrades like Mbye and Ivan is doing the best with what's available
Ivan is not to blame for our players second half effort
That falls on the players who are on the field
They are the ones making the tackles
Or should I say missing them
60 plus missed tackles Ivan's fault
Come on guys
Does he have to go out and make the tackles himself
Our team failed in the second 40 today
Not Ivan
rebuilding???? dude just went out and bought players 28 plus,u cant rebuild with those type
they are only gonna get worse not better,not forgetting now all of our cap is gone on these players

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:31 am

How do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:15 am

Tiger_Pete wrote:
rex2ce wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:10 pm
Didn’t mention colour Pete, just stated the obvious, obviously you love giving cap money away without return
I didn't say you mentioned colour. When you generalise that islanders don't play with any heart, that's racist.
Crap
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Madgic

Post by Madgic » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:45 am

Tiger_Pete wrote:
rex2ce wrote:
Didn’t mention colour Pete, just stated the obvious, obviously you love giving cap money away without return
I didn't say you mentioned colour. When you generalise that islanders don't play with any heart, that's racist.
So WHAT Islanders are you talking about? Did Leilua show no heart? Tapine?? Soliola??? Havili???? Maybe Papalii? I could go on but the truth is you need to understand that the problem goes back to lack of heart in the playing roster in general, NOT one particular race. You ARE a racist!

Clifferd

Post by Clifferd » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:47 am

People bagging Cleary after one flat out flogging in his tenure are deadset pathetic. Let’s judge how he responds and I’m confident he’ll have us firing against the Titans in a couple weeks time

We’ve been in every contest so far this year and yes I’m talking about the flogging we copped yesterday (we led 12-10 at halftime ffs)

And have been extremely unlucky to not beat Parra, Knights, Roosters which would’ve seen us comfortably in the 8. That’s not mentioning the brisbane farce either

Let’s cut out the wrist slitting and see how he responds

palms

Post by palms » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:04 am

steve-o wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 10:06 pm
palms wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:55 pm
Always have been, always will be losers. A club born from failure destined to continue to fail. We have consistently been the worst club in the competition for 19yrs. One can only shake their head.
The most depressing part of this post is that it’s true. Every year is the same... early hope, followed by a mid year slump or end of year fade. At the end of this year, it’ll be 3 out 19 finals appearances. Even the titans have a better record than us (they’ll be 3 out 12).
And don't get me wrong, I'm as staunch a supporter as you will find. I will always support the team but some must face facts, and what I have stated is a fact. We have had promise after promise about change of culture. Promise after promise of better times ahead but for someone to believe it is actually going to happen is blind faith.

The honest truth is we don't compete with top teams in a number of areas - our facilities are park level, we don't have powerful TPA's, we have 5 home grounds, we have limited history of success. All of this plays a big factor for players when choosing a club and ultimately attracting big players is how we change our fortunes. Kind of like a giant double edge sword.

I'll keep thinking better times ahead though Shane2801 and not push for a better future.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:17 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:08 pm
Let's not all turn on Cleary now, he's doing the best with what he's got and what was available.
None of us we're expecting much this season and don't let the first half 6 weeks of the season go to your head.
He's turned us into a team that at least gives ourselves a chance most weeks even though we haven't got the cattle to deliver the knockout punch, which is sometimes torture to watch.

But I'm sure Cleary could feel a loss like this wasn't to far away, though he'd never admit it.
We lack 2 dominant props
A hard running back rower or 3
A classy centre, maybe 2 (Masters is good but he's playing more like a backrower)
A classy 9
A speedy winger

And a different home ground.
x2

I find it odd that lots of Tigers supporters predicted we'd run in the Bottom 8 at the start of the year, and now we are there, they are very upset.

This roster was going to sneak into the Top 8 at best, in anyone's bold tipping book. They still might do it - close enough to still play finals if we play better in the remaining matches.

9 games left - plenty of football there. Oppositions include Raiders again, Knights, Dogs, Titans, Manly - all winnable games. Other 4 matches are Bunnies and Drags x 2 each, which you would expect to lose. The issue obviously becomes then we need to win most of those other remaining games if we can't expect to beat Drags or Rabbits, because we need around 13 wins to make the Top 8.

Unf this match was actually a key game, even though Ivan said he doesn't think about the ladder (which I understand), but it could have opened up a 2-game lead over Raiders and put us in front of the Broncos, both of them already having the bye. Instead Broncos also win and we are now a win short of them.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:12 pm

Joel_Caine_Fan_82 wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 5:41 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
The knives are coming out for Ivan quick now
I think that's very unfair
Let's not forget that Ivan said this was a rebuilding year and it would take time
It's fair to say that if ivan could pick a team from all players in the NRL the team would not look anything like it does now
We still need a few more upgrades like Mbye and Ivan is doing the best with what's available
Ivan is not to blame for our players second half effort
That falls on the players who are on the field
They are the ones making the tackles
Or should I say missing them
60 plus missed tackles Ivan's fault
Come on guys
Does he have to go out and make the tackles himself
Our team failed in the second 40 today
Not Ivan
rebuilding???? dude just went out and bought players 28 plus,u cant rebuild with those type
they are only gonna get worse not better,not forgetting now all of our cap is gone on these players
The team we have this year is better than we had last year
Only real lose was teddy
Now we have Mbye and about a $400000 saving on Teddys contract
Ivan doesn't have a magic wand to make players appear
You can not build the ideal team in one season of signings
The players are just not their to sign
I'm glad Moses and Woods are gone
The way they treated the club was disgraceful
Our defence in the second 40 against Canberra was atrocious but it's not the end of the world
Were you happy when we flogged Manly
And beat the Storm and Roosters
I was
You have to take the good with the bad
I have no drought that Cleary is looking at all the best off contract players
But so is every other team

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:20 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:01 pm
cktiger wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:53 pm
rex2ce wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 7:49 pm
I was not a JT fan ,but his career was ruined by bringing Cleary on board, Cleary with the advantage of a blank cheque re recruitment, has not delivered
For 12 months Cleary has been lauded over for doing something JT couldn’t do, attract players. Easy to do when you have an open chequebook and your predecessor had a bag of rocks. Let’s not forget Potter either. Another coach who got dudded with a terrible cap. Pay is going through the same situation at the Dogs.
I suppose you’ll be calling for Taylor to come back?
Just calling it like it is. No need to be sassy.
Enough. Taylor was horrible. Move on

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:21 pm

Clifferd wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:47 am
People bagging Cleary after one flat out flogging in his tenure are deadset pathetic. Let’s judge how he responds and I’m confident he’ll have us firing against the Titans in a couple weeks time

We’ve been in every contest so far this year and yes I’m talking about the flogging we copped yesterday (we led 12-10 at halftime ffs)

And have been extremely unlucky to not beat Parra, Knights, Roosters which would’ve seen us comfortably in the 8. That’s not mentioning the brisbane farce either

x2. Most on here were raving on about our defensive structure early on and are now calling for Cleary to be sacked

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:37 pm

Madgic wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:45 am
Tiger_Pete wrote:
rex2ce wrote:
So WHAT Islanders are you talking about? Did Leilua show no heart? Tapine?? Soliola??? Havili???? Maybe Papalii? I could go on but the truth is you need to understand that the problem goes back to lack of heart in the playing roster in general, NOT one particular race. You ARE a racist!
Packer. Matulino. Taylor
In recent weeks, Lolohea.
In recent years, Adam Blair.

Some islanders have it (Tuamalolo)whereas others just don't.... Suli, Lolohea, etc... And "it" is a work ethic.

I'm no racist, I am friends with Samoans, Tongans, etc... But the players we recruit that have an NZ background always seem to be lazy and unmotivated. Obviously speaking generally / typically not 100% all the time...

See names mentioned for examples.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:06 pm

TigersBusDriver wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:21 pm
Clifferd wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:47 am

x2. Most on here were raving on about our defensive structure early on and are now calling for Cleary to be sacked
I agree with what you are saying, however it's not the first flogging in Ivan's tenure. Broncos beat us 36-0 last year, Roosters also 40-18.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:16 pm

Glennb wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 10:02 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 8:19 pm
He hasn’t helped the situation by opting on a rotation system. Was only a couple weeks ago he said he still didn’t know what his best 17 was. How is that possible halfway into the season.
and that is EXACTLY what makes him probably the best coach we have had. It is also what everyone was praising early in the season when we were winning. As Ivan has said many times everyone has to earn their spot in the team and if they are not the best or not putting in enough at training. the best will get the gig and the other will be in reggies. Competition for spots in the team. We were all PRAISING the mantra of competition for spots in the team when we were winning. Now we've lost a few and you are using it as an example of why he cant coach.

Were you paying attention during the Taylor years when Rankin would be picked every week or Kyle Lovett turned out week after week, no matter what? Two weeks ago Tui & Godinet were complete rubbish and were immediately accountable. Hooker and fullback are our biggest problems and he appears to have done something about both of them.
Well said.

In most cases, Ivan has made changes when he has needed to. When we were playing well and winning games he didn't change things up too much, and when certain players looked ordinary he didn't hesitate to spell them in reggies.
Apart from changes he has had to make due to injury, some of you are complaining about the rotation of 5 players through the D/H role or the swapping of Tui and Thomson at fullback.

The facts are that if any one of those players that have been picked in those roles actually went out and proved that they were the right guy for the job week after week, then Ivan wouldn't need to be be rotating them. Tui has not shown any form as fullback and Thomson even though he was initially a winger has earnt the role. Liddle was obviously the D/H plan and MM the back-up, but that hasn't worked out either, so Ivan has tried the options at his disposal. I would expect that, wouldn't you? As for our backrow, when you examine the options available, who has really stood out week after week and deserved selection? Besides Lawrence, probably know one!