The Tigers turned up, but where were the fans?

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: The Tigers turned up, but where were the fans?

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 29 May, 2010 1:33 pm

alexaki wrote:Given the lack of support is it time to ditch Campbelltown and play all home games at Leichhardt?
Personally,I would prefer Lidcombe oval.


User avatar
Tigerdazz
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Gods Country ( Macarthur region )
Contact:

Post by Tigerdazz » Sat 29 May, 2010 1:39 pm

It was a combination of MULTIPLE reasons. Firstly the game WAS NOT PROMOTED properly in any form of media. Secondly the recent weather and the prediction of further heavy rain & strong winds. Then there was the hang over from origin and the lingering recovery from the loss to Souths. Finally , as anyone in Campbelltown can attest , the greatest show on earth is in town , THE MOSCOW CIRCUS.

The combination of all the above , is OF COURSE going to put a dent in numbers. :roll:
" ...I speak French to my troops , Italian to my women,Spanish to God and German to my horse ! " Loius XVI Image

User avatar
Jazza
Member
Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 1:38 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Jazza » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:09 pm

Mad Tiger wrote:I can't believe you guys are putting this down to the cold/wet weather...

The reason was simple... There was no communication as to the fact the game was a Campbelltown...

Yesterday alone i spoke to 5 seperate people who would usually go to the game but did not know it was at Campbelltown... There was next to no advertisement compared to usual in the local area, and that goes for the local papers as well..

I even heard a radio station on Thursday evening referring to the game being at Leichardt..

All in all it was a poor attendance, but when the promotion of the game was probably about half as it usually would be then what do they expect???
I agree I live in Campbelltown and everyone I spoke to did not even know that we were playing at Campbelltown this week.

Hell I didn't even know that we were playing here until last weekend (Normally I know a few weeks in advance) and that was only because of this forum, if I wasn't on the forum I wouldn't of known either.

There wasn't an advertisement in the local paper, normally there is at 1/2 a page, if not a full page.

There was no vibe at all in the lead up.

Personally I think people are being a bit harsh, you add the figures of the 2 games together and that an average of about 15 000 at each game.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

User avatar
Jazza
Member
Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 1:38 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Jazza » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:16 pm

I also got to say, from where I am from in Campbelltown, not a lot of people supported Wests Tigers.

When I finished high school 2.5 years ago I had mates there who supported Newcastle, St George, Roosters, Bulldogs, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths and even the Cowboys.

I only knew one Tigers fan.

I'm not sure why thats the case, I'm not sure if its like that in other areas?
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

User avatar
prattenpark
Member
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 4:02 pm

Post by prattenpark » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't buy into the Campbelltown v Leichhardt crap. I didn't realise my post would descend into a battle of venues. We generally turn up to both venues in good numbers - actual crowd figures are comparable at both grounds, despite people's preferences and biases.

We're all Wests Tigers fans and generally travel from far and wide to support the team. I get the train from the city to Campbelltown and I'm always surprised at how many get only not only at Central but at each stop down the east hills line.

I thought we would have got 14-15,000 there last night. Sounds like promotion of the venue change was not good, and I'm heartened to know that Saints could only draw 15,000 to Kogarah. Maybe a bit of origin hangover too.

Bad luck to those that didn't turn up. It was nice to be there and watch the Tigers put 50 on a team.


User avatar
Swannie47
Member
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun 16 May, 2010 10:35 pm

Post by Swannie47 » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:38 pm

Jazza wrote:I also got to say, from where I am from in Campbelltown, not a lot of people supported Wests Tigers.

When I finished high school 2.5 years ago I had mates there who supported Newcastle, St George, Roosters, Bulldogs, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths and even the Cowboys.

I only knew one Tigers fan.

I'm not sure why thats the case, I'm not sure if its like that in other areas?
That's changing Jazza. I see a lot more people wearing Tigers jerseys around C/town than I did a few years.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

towntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 9:04 am

Post by towntiger » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:44 pm

Swannie47 wrote:
Mad Tiger wrote: The reason was simple... There was no communication as to the fact the game was a Campbelltown...

Yesterday alone i spoke to 5 seperate people who would usually go to the game but did not know it was at Campbelltown... There was next to no advertisement compared to usual in the local area, and that goes for the local papers as well..

I even heard a radio station on Thursday evening referring to the game being at Leichardt..

All in all it was a poor attendance, but when the promotion of the game was probably about half as it usually would be then what do they expect???
Thanks Mad Tiger that was my take on it as well. There's usually a vibe around C'town the week of a game and that was missing this week.
That's crap.

I have the two local papers sitting in my lounge room with the ads promotoing the game, plus i have the local radio on all day at work and i had one of my co-workers (a Dragons fan) say to me "how many times are they going to mention the Tigers game" it was publicised that much it wasnt funny.

I also received a letter in the mail advising me of the switch as i am a member.

magpie mania
Member
Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by magpie mania » Sat 29 May, 2010 2:57 pm

towntiger wrote:
swannie47 wrote:
mad tiger wrote: the reason was simple... There was no communication as to the fact the game was a campbelltown...

Yesterday alone i spoke to 5 seperate people who would usually go to the game but did not know it was at campbelltown... There was next to no advertisement compared to usual in the local area, and that goes for the local papers as well..

I even heard a radio station on thursday evening referring to the game being at leichardt..

All in all it was a poor attendance, but when the promotion of the game was probably about half as it usually would be then what do they expect???
thanks mad tiger that was my take on it as well. There's usually a vibe around c'town the week of a game and that was missing this week.
that's crap.

I have the two local papers sitting in my lounge room with the ads promotoing the game, plus i have the local radio on all day at work and i had one of my co-workers (a dragons fan) say to me "how many times are they going to mention the tigers game" it was publicised that much it wasnt funny.

I also received a letter in the mail advising me of the switch as i am a member.

what you need to realise tt is that the game was only swapped two weeks ago to allow for the slow leicchardt refix the late swap meant people already had other things planned last night.

Muffstar
Member
Member
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Port Macquarie

Post by Muffstar » Sat 29 May, 2010 3:49 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:Same old garbage and everyone ignores the elephant in the corner of the room.

Leichardt Oval is a dilapidated hole that does not meet NRL criteria. In its current format, playing at the Leichardt is not sustainable as the amenities are a disgrace. Wests Tigers are only allowed to play there due to the merger.

Campbelltown Stadium is now equipped to take this club forward over the next 20 years. Fix Leichardt Oval and maybe we can start comparing crowds. Until then, the ground is an anchor on this club's long term development.
So is the Collasium but people still turn out when it opens :)

TheSunTanSuperman
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 2:02 am

Post by TheSunTanSuperman » Sat 29 May, 2010 3:58 pm

magpie mania wrote:
citizen tiger wrote:subject of poor crowds at campbelltown comes up every year and it's the same litany of excuses viz. It's friday night, the traffic on the expressway is heavy, it's cold, it's wet, it's on tv, it's happy hour with the lingerie barmaids, there's no parking, the pies are always cold, aliens keep stealing my car keys....

Crikey people, buy a bottle of 'man up' pills. You have a great facility, it's a huge demographic and the price of entry is more than reasonable, so get out and support your team. I gotta say that the area is habitually poor when it comes to support, the numbers speak for themselves

perhaps its the fact that mcarthur crowd travel to leicchardt but the leichhardt people are too lazy to travel to mcarthur.what about the 10,000 crowd between tigers and cronulla at leichhardt a few years agoon a perfectly dry friday night when cronulla were leading the comp.a lot closer from cronulla to leicchardt than new zealand to mcarthur wouldnt you say i think that should well and truly knock your argument for six.in addition please note that saints and parra last night only drew 15,000 for a clash between 1 and 2 favorites for the title this year and a host of origin stars.
So one game against Cronulla, when our season was officially over, is the best you can come up with?

I'm not gonna get into the us vs them, but if Macarthur wants to keep talking up how they're the future and 4 games isn't enough, start going to the bloody games.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 29 May, 2010 4:43 pm

I pray and hope that one day our little suburban club with its small ambitions realise that we are in a national comp and start playing at a proper stadium fulltime. Some of the best stadia are available to us but we choose to use LO and CS. Such small thinkers we have running the club.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29719
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 29 May, 2010 5:12 pm

gallagher wrote:I pray and hope that one day our little suburban club with its small ambitions realise that we are in a national comp and start playing at a proper stadium fulltime. Some of the best stadia are available to us but we choose to use LO and CS. Such small thinkers we have running the club.
You know, Im almost swaying that way myself....many have promoted the opinion for years that bench seats and hills are well past their use by dates....Im starting to think that myself. It would be one way to avoid this childish argument that some love to resurrect year after year, just bite the bullet and move to a neutral yet priofitable and comfortable stadium once and for all, have all our games there and be done with it.
Lets move to ANZ, move to SFS 100% and finally have a real home rather than several flop houses and mates places.

User avatar
Suzie-Q
Member
Member
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Central Western NSW

Post by Suzie-Q » Sat 29 May, 2010 5:36 pm

Several posts have been deleted from this thread. Keep the personal attacks out of it and stick to topic. Thanks.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9804
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Sat 29 May, 2010 5:38 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:Same old garbage and everyone ignores the elephant in the corner of the room.

Leichardt Oval is a dilapidated hole that does not meet NRL criteria. In its current format, playing at the Leichardt is not sustainable as the amenities are a disgrace. Wests Tigers are only allowed to play there due to the merger.

Campbelltown Stadium is now equipped to take this club forward over the next 20 years. Fix Leichardt Oval and maybe we can start comparing crowds. Until then, the ground is an anchor on this club's long term development.
Troll... And it's Leichhardt.

magpie mania
Member
Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by magpie mania » Sat 29 May, 2010 5:40 pm

thesuntansuperman wrote:
magpie mania wrote:
citizen tiger wrote:subject of poor crowds at campbelltown comes up every year and it's the same litany of excuses viz. It's friday night, the traffic on the expressway is heavy, it's cold, it's wet, it's on tv, it's happy hour with the lingerie barmaids, there's no parking, the pies are always cold, aliens keep stealing my car keys....

Crikey people, buy a bottle of 'man up' pills. You have a great facility, it's a huge demographic and the price of entry is more than reasonable, so get out and support your team. I gotta say that the area is habitually poor when it comes to support, the numbers speak for themselves

perhaps its the fact that mcarthur crowd travel to leicchardt but the leichhardt people are too lazy to travel to mcarthur.what about the 10,000 crowd between tigers and cronulla at leichhardt a few years agoon a perfectly dry friday night when cronulla were leading the comp.a lot closer from cronulla to leicchardt than new zealand to mcarthur wouldnt you say i think that should well and truly knock your argument for six.in addition please note that saints and parra last night only drew 15,000 for a clash between 1 and 2 favorites for the title this year and a host of origin stars.
so one game against cronulla, when our season was officially over, is the best you can come up with?

I'm not gonna get into the us vs them, but if macarthur wants to keep talking up how they're the future and 4 games isn't enough, start going to the bloody games.

about as good as your one game against the warriors.please note that there is 4000 people at the sharks broncos game i think the fact that 68000 were at origin the other night was also a reason for poor attendances this week football cost money you know.

Marshall_magic
Member
Member
Posts: 4314
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:04 pm

C-Town isn't a good venue for Friday Night games, can be hard for people to get home from work and get down there for the game. LO (which was origanlly scheduled to host the game) would've been a much better venue for a crowd on a friday.

tiger tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:49 am

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:
gallagher wrote:I pray and hope that one day our little suburban club with its small ambitions realise that we are in a national comp and start playing at a proper stadium fulltime. Some of the best stadia are available to us but we choose to use LO and CS. Such small thinkers we have running the club.
You know, Im almost swaying that way myself....many have promoted the opinion for years that bench seats and hills are well past their use by dates....Im starting to think that myself. It would be one way to avoid this childish argument that some love to resurrect year after year, just bite the bullet and move to a neutral yet priofitable and comfortable stadium once and for all, have all our games there and be done with it.
Lets move to ANZ, move to SFS 100% and finally have a real home rather than several flop houses and mates places.
i agree with you guys ....1 home gtound be it anz or the sfs,,, we clearly get no home ground advantage at campbelltown .... and to those who believe the macarthur is wests history... its only a pimple on an elephants backside ...1 home ground please ...

Gary Bakerloo
Member
Member
Posts: 2463
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:Troll... And it's Leichhardt.
Troll? Giving an objective assessment of the situation is the act of a troll?

Great stuff......can see this club going forward in leaps and bounds with that attitude.

Locked