El Packer

Liddy

El Packer

Post by Liddy » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:14 am

In the last 15 minutes of yesterday's game he was a dead set passenger....

Standing behind the ruck with his hands on his head.

He provided no go forward and his defence was non existent during that period.

We need better options than him.....

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:29 am

Liddy wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:14 am

noticed that too, he looked absolutely gassed. dissapointing considering he only played 42 minutes

Toowoomba Tiger

Post by Toowoomba Tiger » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:35 am

Not the guy to build your pack around. Ivan should be looking to use him off the bench next year as an impact forward.
previously known as 'The Tooth'

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:37 am

He looks unfit and overweight
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:39 am

Liddy wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:14 am

I actually disagree. Offensively he was ordinary in the latter stages but he turned up defensively time and time again even though he was gassed

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:42 am

His metres were better compared to the last performance but just not very effective
I was never a Packer fan before we bought him not because I didnt rate him, just didnt watch him play much - but plenty talked him up and he just hasnt lived up to expectation at this point.
Would love to know if this is just how it rolls with him or whether he is out of form or injured. The benefit of the doubt can only last for so long.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:44 am

Lol, he was good today. Most props will be tired when the opposition have all the ball and are running the length of the field every set. He's also carrying a niggle of some sort, i'm sure it will come out at the end of the season...

All our forwards except for MCK were invisible in the final 10 mins btw...

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:51 am

The whole team was gassed. The comination of losing Sue, Aloiai and Lawrence in the space of 5 minutes hurt us. Watch when Saints scored their last try, our whole team is lying on the ground. Watch when they make a break with 5 mins to go and every single guy is jogging back gassed. We were gone.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:55 am

Telltails wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:42 am
His metres were better compared to the last performance but just not very effective
I was never a Packer fan before we bought him not because I didnt rate him, just didnt watch him play much - but plenty talked him up and he just hasnt lived up to expectation at this point.
Would love to know if this is just how it rolls with him or whether he is out of form or injured. The benefit of the doubt can only last for so long.
His season has played out much like his season did for the Dragons last year. He was very good in the early part of the season (which is when we started going in hard for him) and then he got injured and his form dropped right off. He regained some from at the back end of last season and was then very good for New Zealand so hopefully he follows that part of the pattern...He'll never be a big metre maker but when he's on he makes extremely effective hit ups with quick PTB's that really get things rolling. There hasn't been much of that lately...

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:03 am

Nelson wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:55 am
Telltails wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:42 am
His season has played out much like his season did for the Dragons last year. He was very good in the early part of the season (which is when we started going in hard for him) and then he got injured and his form dropped right off. He regained some from at the back end of last season and was then very good for New Zealand so hopefully he follows that part of the pattern...He'll never be a big metre maker but when he's on he makes extremely effective hit ups with quick PTB's that really get things rolling. There hasn't been much of that lately...
Yeah thanks. Dont think we dominated today but we held them - and they certainly have a wealth of good forwards. Dont think he was outstanding by any stretch, but we did enough to win and I thought he went alright.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:23 am

He made probably the most important tackle of the match late in the game that saved our bacon and he got there despite huffing and puffing, having just struggled to get back in the line. He then sat on his haunches for a while whilst we prepared for the handover.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:36 am

I saw him run the ball up a few times and get smashed.
He looked upset.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:51 am

He's going Ok but not having the impact he had early in the Season,he and Matulino were probably the 2 best Forwards in the Comp. for the first 6 or so games.
That's to be expected when they are targeted,like in the early games, and getting smashed every game.
Hope Matutlino,in particular,can manage his injuries for the run into the Finals,if he does we might make the 8.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

magpiesteve

Post by magpiesteve » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 11:36 am

I agree he has looked gassed as have our other forwards in the past couple of games. They seemed to have lost fitness as the season has gone on. Penrith by comparison play with energy till the last minute. Its an 80minute game yet we seem to compete OK for 60 then look busted. Other teams seem to finish stronger than Wts' & I hope this can be remedied asap.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 11:37 am

The whole team was gassed for the final 10 minutes yesterday but with only 5 penalties that was to be expected.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:01 pm

Lol harsh judges. Find me a team where your props aren't gassed in the final stages of a game when your opposition has majority of possession in the final 15

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm

I noticed it too he looks unfit... Reminded me of Reynolds.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:19 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm
I noticed it too he looks unfit... Reminded me of Reynolds.
Question though - are people saying this because they catch him catching his breath in dead-ball moments, or because he's missing tackles, not being able to cover inside passes, dropping his head in chasing etc?

I am noticing Packer blowing at times, but he's been doing that all year, and when the defence is back on, he's there making his tackles and not falling away. Him and Mats are the cornerstones of our middle-scramble and there have been many games this year when they've been called upon to hold the middle whilst we defend tiny leads.

No drama for me if he then takes some deep breaths at the handover or pre-scrum.

Compare to Sauaso Sue, who gets gassed same as any forward does - but I often notice him failing to close a gap, dropping his head, letting the opposition march through the middle.