El Packer

Silentio

Re: El Packer

Post by Silentio » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the bloke, but he does put in.

He's carting 120kg around the park and regularly lasts 40 minutes. I think he played 70 against the Broncos.

Ava Seumanufagai is the same size and is lucky to last 20.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:30 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:19 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm
I noticed it too he looks unfit... Reminded me of Reynolds.
Question though - are people saying this because they catch him catching his breath in dead-ball moments, or because he's missing tackles, not being able to cover inside passes, dropping his head in chasing etc?

I am noticing Packer blowing at times, but he's been doing that all year, and when the defence is back on, he's there making his tackles and not falling away. Him and Mats are the cornerstones of our middle-scramble and there have been many games this year when they've been called upon to hold the middle whilst we defend tiny leads.

No drama for me if he then takes some deep breaths at the handover or pre-scrum.

Compare to Sauaso Sue, who gets gassed same as any forward does - but I often notice him failing to close a gap, dropping his head, letting the opposition march through the middle.
I see him being a little slow to begin covering the inside tackle sometimes then has to really hustle to get there to make the tackle... or miss it, which he's also done a few times, a couple of them leading to tries.

Maybe his knee is stopping him from doing much running apart from playing because he does look like he knocks up too easily.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:57 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:19 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm
I noticed it too he looks unfit... Reminded me of Reynolds.
Question though - are people saying this because they catch him catching his breath in dead-ball moments, or because he's missing tackles, not being able to cover inside passes, dropping his head in chasing etc?

I am noticing Packer blowing at times, but he's been doing that all year, and when the defence is back on, he's there making his tackles and not falling away. Him and Mats are the cornerstones of our middle-scramble and there have been many games this year when they've been called upon to hold the middle whilst we defend tiny leads.

No drama for me if he then takes some deep breaths at the handover or pre-scrum.

Compare to Sauaso Sue, who gets gassed same as any forward does - but I often notice him failing to close a gap, dropping his head, letting the opposition march through the middle.
At last - some common sense. Would take our starting front rowers over most - especially defensively. They are not the most destructive ball carriers hence why we need a big line breaking second rower
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 3:55 pm

Since when is he Spanish?
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

hugh1954

Post by hugh1954 » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:00 pm

Thought Sue had a good game, ran hard in attack and was hard to handle, something i have not sen from him in a while, also looked fit which probably makes the difference.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:02 pm

Tacky wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 3:55 pm
Since when is he Spanish?
Maybe he drives an El Camino?
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:08 pm

formerguest wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:23 am
He made probably the most important tackle of the match late in the game that saved our bacon and he got there despite huffing and puffing, having just struggled to get back in the line. He then sat on his haunches for a while whilst we prepared for the handover.
Glad someone was watching the game and not waiting for it to finish to read the stats.
That tackle was gold! He was off his feet but still chased across the field.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:10 pm

You said it steve
They are not the most destructive ball carriers
Packer looked tired to me yesterday, I watched him closely after his last pathetic effort at LO, he did do a bit more granted but geez its pretty p-weak compared to the metres some other front rowers gain

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:16 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:10 pm
You said it steve
They are not the most destructive ball carriers
Packer looked tired to me yesterday, I watched him closely after his last pathetic effort at LO, he did do a bit more granted but geez its pretty p-weak compared to the metres some other front rowers gain
Vaughn on the other hand - they kept the right one.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:46 pm

Needaname wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 4:08 pm
formerguest wrote:
He made probably the most important tackle of the match late in the game that saved our bacon and he got there despite huffing and puffing, having just struggled to get back in the line. He then sat on his haunches for a while whilst we prepared for the handover.
Glad someone was watching the game and not waiting for it to finish to read the stats.
You know they do live stats right?

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 5:02 pm

Part of the problem is that he and Mats are the only forwards who can go forward. The others more often than not get dominated. All of the Penrith forwards and Souths forwards make ground. As do the Saints forwards. Ours don't.
So those two get special attention from the other pack.
Not surprised they are getting smashed really. There is no threat from any other forward to take the heat off them.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 5:53 pm

Needaname wrote:
formerguest wrote:
Mats also made a crucial one near the end of his first stint in similar circumstances, with both often willing and able to dive at full stretch to get their hands on an attacker.

The pair regularly cover good ground to be the A defenders on the next play and it is a big reason why our middle is generally strong defensively when they are on the paddock. Plus they are the only ones that often show reasonable venom when in possession or not.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:06 pm

Carrying a reasonable knee injury which he will have repaired at seasons end, would certainly hamper any player his size in cardio work. But he always has a go, even if at times ineffective.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm

formerguest wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 5:53 pm
Needaname wrote:
formerguest wrote:
Mats also made a crucial one near the end of his first stint in similar circumstances, with both often willing and able to dive at full stretch to get their hands on an attacker.

The pair regularly cover good ground to be the A defenders on the next play and it is a big reason why our middle is generally strong defensively when they are on the paddock. Plus they are the only ones that often show reasonable venom when in possession or not.
Agree with this.

I'd love to know the post contact metres of Taylor and Eiso. They get dominated and their play the balls also allow opposition defences to ge set.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:56 pm

Swordy wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:06 pm
Carrying a reasonable knee injury which he will have repaired at seasons end, would certainly hamper any player his size in cardio work. But he always has a go, even if at times ineffective.
Yet ran out with no strapping at all yesterday...surprised me
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:19 pm

yeti wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 5:02 pm
Part of the problem is that he and Mats are the only forwards who can go forward. The others more often than not get dominated. All of the Penrith forwards and Souths forwards make ground. As do the Saints forwards. Ours don't.
So those two get special attention from the other pack.
Not surprised they are getting smashed really. There is no threat from any other forward to take the heat off them.
I so agree with this. Him and mats never get the privilege of running off the back of a dominate run. They always do the hard runs slow with the defensive line set

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 8:25 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:56 pm
Swordy wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:06 pm
Yet ran out with no strapping at all yesterday...surprised me
Yeah, I thought that was odd when he ran out. First thing I noticed.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:32 pm

I think our props, whilst not running as far as some others, were really good in defence, making some tackles that really had to be made. I do think they both need to stand just a couple of metres deeper to get some momentum happening because those big frames will bend the line if they are accelerating into it.