New chapter in book of feuds

jirskyr

Re: New chapter in book of feuds

Post by jirskyr » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:02 pm

I don't mind Rusty, we need more rich high-profile people pouring their money, resource and pulling power into the game.

He loves his Rabbits, he loves them at home, he loves them overseas, he loves them on the Jay Leno Show. That can only be a good thing.

The rest of it, the arrogance etc., well that just comes with the territory. I've never met Uncle Harry but I understand he's not the world's most loved property developer either.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:11 pm

Hope they honour Sutton in the correct manner on Saturday by putting his mugshot from his USA holiday on the big screen.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 8:51 am
Masterton wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:00 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 9:30 am
Souths hope their fans will help exact revenge by outnumbering Tigers supporters.
Extra money. What a terrible revenge. Maybe they should buy some our guernseys to burn also.
You can't bring pets into ANZ stadium

I'm pretty sure half of souffs membership base is pets. Indicated by their crap home avg record

If their membership total was legit they'd be getting close to 25k a game
The NRL counted teeth at a Rabbitohs home game and got the figure of 25k........so that equals 20 thousand Bunnies supporters or thereabouts.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:43 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:02 pm
I don't mind Rusty, we need more rich high-profile people pouring their money, resource and pulling power into the game.

He loves his Rabbits, he loves them at home, he loves them overseas, he loves them on the Jay Leno Show. That can only be a good thing.

The rest of it, the arrogance etc., well that just comes with the territory. I've never met Uncle Harry but I understand he's not the world's most loved property developer either.
No, we need the game and clubs to be self sustainable, not be directed by egomaniacs with deep pockets.

Nathan Tinkler did not quite work out so well for the knights.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:58 am

Harvey wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:43 pm
jirskyr wrote:

No, we need the game and clubs to be self sustainable, not be directed by egomaniacs with deep pockets.

I disagree - we currently haven't the funding to maintain 16 self-sustained profitable clubs and we never have. The high-value TV deals are not permanent. What happens in 4-5 years from now if the next TV deal is reduced, what happens to the cap and the wages and the spending expectations if the NRL can no longer cover $10M per club?

I also honestly think you misunderstand the already existing private ownership landscape of the NRL. Eric Watson owned the Warriors for 17 years (until just recently), the Penn family own most of Manly, Rebecca Frizelle now owns the Titans. Russell Crowe does not have complete control of Souths, he is part-backed by James Packer and ceded 25% control of Souths to the membership, including jersey, colours, home ground etc. Rusty actually owns less of Souths than the Penns do of Manly.

No, Nathan Tinkler didn't work out, but that doesn't mean private ownership is synonymous with business failure.

It's also not as if non-individual ownership is a template for success either, given how many current clubs have fallen over and needed NRL intervention, despite being backed by Leagues clubs or business groups, rather than deep-pocketed owners - Gold Coast, Balmain, St George; all the clubs that were destroyed in the Super League era, Newtown.

My opinion is that clubs often run at a loss because it's such a competitive landscape, and in Australia it's not just other clubs in the NRL, it's a wide variety of other codes. When you have businesses funding the clubs, those businesses generally exist for two reasons - solely to fund the club (e.g. Football Clubs) or to make a profit from the clubs. If the profit wanes, the business tend to want move away because it's not necessarily a passion-project. Businesses typically abandon loss-making ventures unless it's in their mandate to continue funding.

Many of the traditional supporters of NRL clubs have been leagues clubs, who relied heavily on gambling revenues and have been significantly impacted by the pokies tax. This is changing, however it still means that rugby league is heavily funded at all levels, including top-tier sponsorship, by gambling monies - which is hardly an ideal moral position to be in.

But private owners, most of them do it for the passion rather than the profit, so they are likely to tip in more money and not just withdraw because the clubs lose money. Yes sometimes their business empires can fail, but so can any other business.

The English Premier League is almost entirely privately owned, as is the NFL. Doesn't mean it's a perfect system, but lots of owners with deep pockets makes for a very well-funded league.

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:06 pm

There is a 50 meter line,

Can we just put a 2 in front of it for robbie.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:29 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:58 am
Harvey wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:43 pm
jirskyr wrote:

I disagree - we currently haven't the funding to maintain 16 self-sustained profitable clubs and we never have. The high-value TV deals are not permanent. What happens in 4-5 years from now if the next TV deal is reduced, what happens to the cap and the wages and the spending expectations if the NRL can no longer cover $10M per club?

I also honestly think you misunderstand the already existing private ownership landscape of the NRL. Eric Watson owned the Warriors for 17 years (until just recently), the Penn family own most of Manly, Rebecca Frizelle now owns the Titans. Russell Crowe does not have complete control of Souths, he is part-backed by James Packer and ceded 25% control of Souths to the membership, including jersey, colours, home ground etc. Rusty actually owns less of Souths than the Penns do of Manly.

No, Nathan Tinkler didn't work out, but that doesn't mean private ownership is synonymous with business failure.

It's also not as if non-individual ownership is a template for success either, given how many current clubs have fallen over and needed NRL intervention, despite being backed by Leagues clubs or business groups, rather than deep-pocketed owners - Gold Coast, Balmain, St George; all the clubs that were destroyed in the Super League era, Newtown.

My opinion is that clubs often run at a loss because it's such a competitive landscape, and in Australia it's not just other clubs in the NRL, it's a wide variety of other codes. When you have businesses funding the clubs, those businesses generally exist for two reasons - solely to fund the club (e.g. Football Clubs) or to make a profit from the clubs. If the profit wanes, the business tend to want move away because it's not necessarily a passion-project. Businesses typically abandon loss-making ventures unless it's in their mandate to continue funding.

Many of the traditional supporters of NRL clubs have been leagues clubs, who relied heavily on gambling revenues and have been significantly impacted by the pokies tax. This is changing, however it still means that rugby league is heavily funded at all levels, including top-tier sponsorship, by gambling monies - which is hardly an ideal moral position to be in.

But private owners, most of them do it for the passion rather than the profit, so they are likely to tip in more money and not just withdraw because the clubs lose money. Yes sometimes their business empires can fail, but so can any other business.

The English Premier League is almost entirely privately owned, as is the NFL. Doesn't mean it's a perfect system, but lots of owners with deep pockets makes for a very well-funded league.
So an A-league model where owners with deep pockets or foreign investors own all the clubs, and when they have had enough of losing money they find another sucker to buy a business running at a loss, or hand it back and walk away?

We already have common ground in the owners, players and clubs want more money from the game, which is taken from grassroots and the future of the game.

Unlike soccer there are no transfer fees in league, which provide another source of income for clubs that develop players.

If you took out the exorbitant transfer fees paid for players, most EPL clubs would run at a profit based on television, sponsorship and attendance.

If NRL clubs can’t become self sustaining, then the game is slowly dying

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 9:39 pm

Wow, total BS. Our home game, we decide what will be on the field. Making our player play at home on a ground honouring an opposition player? Garbage.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 9:43 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm
clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 8:51 am
Masterton wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:00 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 9:30 am
Souths hope their fans will help exact revenge by outnumbering Tigers supporters.
Extra money. What a terrible revenge. Maybe they should buy some our guernseys to burn also.
You can't bring pets into ANZ stadium

I'm pretty sure half of souffs membership base is pets. Indicated by their crap home avg record

If their membership total was legit they'd be getting close to 25k a game
The NRL counted teeth at a Rabbitohs home game and got the figure of 25k........so that equals 20 thousand Bunnies supporters or thereabouts.
Is that fair though ??

You have to also do a head count , all those cupboard kids who support Souths

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:11 pm

What's a cupboard kid?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:21 pm

He means cardboard Ink ..like a cut-out..you have to speak toad..takes years..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm

coolcat wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:06 pm

Nope.Not our home game.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:11 pm
What's a cupboard kid?
A kid you might have met in the movie Deliverance

Mum and Dad related closely

Someone from Launceston perhaps

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm
innsaneink wrote:
What's a cupboard kid?

I thought Deliverance was filmed in your backyard ?
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:42 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:21 pm
He means cardboard Ink ..like a cut-out..you have to speak toad..takes years..
:lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:45 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm
happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
What's a cupboard kid?

Yes so true Hobbo , where we met , you were such an amazing banjo player :roll

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:47 pm

coolcat wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 2:06 pm

I like it.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:47 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:45 pm
hobbo wrote:
Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm
happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
What's a cupboard kid?

Yes so true Hobbo , where we met , you were such an amazing banjo player :roll
But it was you that squealed like a pig
:lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !