Surprise of the night

Spartan117

Re: Surprise of the night

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:32 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm
ryanda01 wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 5:26 am
I’m most surprised the NRL FINALLY put a bloody microphone in the journo’s section of the pressers!!!!
Wait - this finally happened? :shock:
Dont get to excited Guys.

Listen to the Souths Presser.

The Mic has disapeared.

PS - were 5 yrs behind AFL in this space

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:33 am

Surprise of the night = Tigers actually winning.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:35 am

TCL wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:03 am
Thommo out pacing Gagai was a surprise.

Kevi's form decline has been a surprise for me. Bombs two tries in two weeks, he is sliding off tackles. His attempt on Crichton was not good.

Other than kevi the whole teams performance has been a surprise
Kev has always been a fringe player in the NRL,to be honest i would say that this has been his best season but he is still not a first grader.
Playing with passion and heart is not enough.The ESL will suit him extremely well and he should go great at that level next year

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:25 am

Kev is looking very much a first grader to me and a good one at that!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:29 am

ryanda01 wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:26 am
Yossarian wrote:
ryanda01 wrote:
I’m most surprised the NRL FINALLY put a bloody microphone in the journo’s section of the pressers!!!!
Certainly sounds like it. I mean blah blah Tigers chance of Top 8 blah blah. I don’t think people understand what I’ve just mentioned. The gravitas of the situation is untenable
Yeah I noticed it the other nite Broncos game I think, when the boom-mic stand or something came crashing down in front of Bennett

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:16 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:29 am
ryanda01 wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:26 am
Yossarian wrote:
ryanda01 wrote:
Certainly sounds like it. I mean blah blah Tigers chance of Top 8 blah blah. I don’t think people understand what I’ve just mentioned. The gravitas of the situation is untenable
Yeah I noticed it the other nite Broncos game I think, when the boom-mic stand or something came crashing down in front of Bennett
Sounds like a win/win

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:02 am

Looked right at home. Has the perfect frame for the modern day edge forward, now that he is fulltime he’ll put a stack of size on over the next 12 months. Look out

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:04 am

ryanda01 wrote:
Hooray and Hallelujah.

Hasn't taken them long to work that out at all.

At that rate - it should only take them 5 more years to work out the rorters are rorting.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:44 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:44 am
Yeah Thommo showing Gagai up was my biggest surprise of the night. I thought Gagai was up there with the fastest in the game.

Really impressed with Thompson, had one shocker against the Titans but has otherwise been fantastic.
Isn't it though that eternal question of straight-line pace vs evasive pace, explosive pace vs maintained pace, speed with or without a football in your arm?

JAC is the fastest man in football because he goes from 0 to 100 in 2 seconds and can hold the pace over 100m with a footy under his wing. But when you look at those top-speed clockers in Origin matches, blokes like Frizell make an appearance because they can be quite fast over a short distance.

Billy Slater is still whippet-fast over 20 metres, but gets mown down fairly easily over a long sprint.

From where I was sitting and the replays, the reason everyone thought Gagai was going to catch Thommo is because he covered the initial gap really quickly. Problem was however he used a sprinter's technique - head down, high arm-pump, straight-line speed ramp-up - and it tired him out.

When he reached Thompson, Thompson was already looking over his shoulders and jinked right, as we all saw. Gagai totally lost his form and line, because he was sizing up the tackle, when suddenly his quarry jinked away. Gagai almost falls over, his balance is so bad. By this stage Thompson is off in another direction and Gagai dives in desperation.

It's like watching Cheetahs trying to catch antelope - no contest in a straight line, but antelope don't run in straight lines, they run in 3D.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:13 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:44 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:44 am
Yeah Thommo showing Gagai up was my biggest surprise of the night. I thought Gagai was up there with the fastest in the game.

Really impressed with Thompson, had one shocker against the Titans but has otherwise been fantastic.
Isn't it though that eternal question of straight-line pace vs evasive pace, explosive pace vs maintained pace, speed with or without a football in your arm?

JAC is the fastest man in football because he goes from 0 to 100 in 2 seconds and can hold the pace over 100m with a footy under his wing. But when you look at those top-speed clockers in Origin matches, blokes like Frizell make an appearance because they can be quite fast over a short distance.

Billy Slater is still whippet-fast over 20 metres, but gets mown down fairly easily over a long sprint.

From where I was sitting and the replays, the reason everyone thought Gagai was going to catch Thommo is because he covered the initial gap really quickly. Problem was however he used a sprinter's technique - head down, high arm-pump, straight-line speed ramp-up - and it tired him out.

When he reached Thompson, Thompson was already looking over his shoulders and jinked right, as we all saw. Gagai totally lost his form and line, because he was sizing up the tackle, when suddenly his quarry jinked away. Gagai almost falls over, his balance is so bad. By this stage Thompson is off in another direction and Gagai dives in desperation.

It's like watching Cheetahs trying to catch antelope - no contest in a straight line, but antelope don't run in straight lines, they run in 3D.
I get all that J, I still expected Gagai to have got to him before Thommo jinked. Nonetheless obviously Thommo has more toe than I thought, that was the surprise, noting that it is easy to have the jump when you snaffle an intercept.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...