Culture Change (Lol)

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Culture Change (Lol)

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:05 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 1:40 pm
Cooper Cronk screwed us. Had he not strung everyone along and had them believing he was retiring and signed with the Roosters earlier, i reckon we'd have had a red hot crack at Pearce. By the time he came on the market, we were done recruitment wise.
Knights got so lucky getting Pearce. Because of how late he came on the market the favorites to get Pearce were Manly when Green left but because of the salary cap drama they couldn't sign anyone so Pearce just fell into the Knights laps. It was that or super league.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:25 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 1:37 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:12 am
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:03 am
You can only do so much about culture when you have a roster which on paper would be favourites for the spoon.

How do you create a winning culture when you've got a team of plodders?
True, but Cleary signed a lot of those plodders. His next round of signings need to be more impressive.
Who else was he supposed to sign? We were a bottom of the table team with little appeal to anyone whatsoever. He recruited a bunch of proven NRL players who would compete, even if not the most talented.

So we have a team that for the most part competes, but sometimes lacks the quality to put sides away. Which given our roster isn't that much of a surprise, even if it is disappointing.
I get what you are saying re the recruitment, but the fact is he is the first coach since Sheens to have a balanced salary cap at his disposel, therefore lives or dies by that. If the last two coaches were held to account for recruitment when they were powerless, obviously Cleary should be held to the sams standard seeing as how he has the full cap at his disposel.
So what are you saying GNR, by being held accountable?

Does he get stood in the naughty corner?

Wrapped over the knuckles? if so how hard?

Do they sack him?

What do you mean? He has said it will take three years minimum, some of the players he signed were not long term but players to fill the gaps until he gets the players he needs. He has fixed the defence problems to a certain extent, which is easier than the attack as we have very few good attacking players. So I am sure the board took all his words on board when they signed him and would not be disappointed with the results given what he had told them.

I would think he will be held accountable by the board if he doesn't do what he has told them he would do.

Very difficult to hold someone accountable if you were not privy to the plan that Cleary laid out for the Tigers when he was signed imo.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:32 pm

We're a team that's built on the legacy of two, proud foundation clubs.

How much more culture do you want?

The club's culture will be forever inextricably linked to the past. Fighting it is an exercise in futility.

If the stories, myths and history of the Magpies and Tigers aren't enough, you may not have a heartbeat. Collectively we have hundreds of years of amazing history.

Some people involved in our club seem to know next to nothing about what a footy culture is or how it works.

Case in point, this year is the 110th anniversary of our foundation clubs but it has gone by without a mention.

This culture line is nothing other than a weak effort to mask the fact that the current regime have done no better than previous management and coaching staff.

In time they'll move on to their next gig, leaving the fans and members with a schizophrenic basket-case of a club.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:45 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:05 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 1:40 pm
Cooper Cronk screwed us. Had he not strung everyone along and had them believing he was retiring and signed with the Roosters earlier, i reckon we'd have had a red hot crack at Pearce. By the time he came on the market, we were done recruitment wise.
Knights got so lucky getting Pearce. Because of how late he came on the market the favorites to get Pearce were Manly when Green left but because of the salary cap drama they couldn't sign anyone so Pearce just fell into the Knights laps. It was that or super league.
They got lucky with Ponga aswell.
Damn our bad luck.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 3:13 pm

Let's get past Potter and Taylor, please! Anyone who can't see the overall improvement in the WTs as a club or as an NRL side is completely blinded by their own agendas. Don't ask a Tigers fan - ask anyone else who follows the NRL. The overall impression of the Tigers this season is much higher and in far better standing than previous years and that is a fact!!
I believe that Pascoe and Cleary have a plan and are working hard to make it happen. As for Ivan being responsible for who we recruit - of course he is.. but only to the point of who is available, who we can afford and who wants to play for us. This cuts the potential field down dramatically, and until the market "impression" of WT as a club and football team is highly valued, Ivan will have problems recruiting the sort of players that us fans want him to. We are competing with 15 other clubs who are all trying to get the best results in all aspects, and it is far from a level playing field as we all know. Ivan also said in one of his interviews, that there is going to be some good times and some bad times, and times we seem to be going backwards. I have faith he knows what he is doing - so let's be supporters not fickle fans.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 12:57 pm
hobbo wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:51 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:31 am
Sooo.just waste the cash paying stop gaps...sound plan..
But .....That’s how we roll at West’s Tigers !
Given the choice of playing experienced players who'd at least been there before, or untested rookies or nsw cup players I don't mind that he went the more experienced route. We're not too far off the top 8 which is a great effort all things considered.

That we're disappointed not to be in the 8 given the squad we have is a sign of how well we've done.

We've improved a lot, and while i wouldn't call the season a success it's been a huge improvement on and off the field.
Been where? No premiership winners or consistent finalists amongst the signings.

The biggest issue is the length of time that the players were signed for. I will include Mbye in that statement as well.

Our best signings have been the risks that we took on short term deals like Thompson and Fonua.

May have been better paying overs for a gun on a shorter deal. We either improve and they stay or they cash in and leave.

I am concerned about the number of gun players that have moved or re-signed that we have not made a play for.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:26 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:25 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 1:37 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:12 am

True, but Cleary signed a lot of those plodders. His next round of signings need to be more impressive.
Who else was he supposed to sign? We were a bottom of the table team with little appeal to anyone whatsoever. He recruited a bunch of proven NRL players who would compete, even if not the most talented.

So we have a team that for the most part competes, but sometimes lacks the quality to put sides away. Which given our roster isn't that much of a surprise, even if it is disappointing.
I get what you are saying re the recruitment, but the fact is he is the first coach since Sheens to have a balanced salary cap at his disposel, therefore lives or dies by that. If the last two coaches were held to account for recruitment when they were powerless, obviously Cleary should be held to the sams standard seeing as how he has the full cap at his disposel.
So what are you saying GNR, by being held accountable?

Does he get stood in the naughty corner?

Wrapped over the knuckles? if so how hard?

Do they sack him?

What do you mean? He has said it will take three years minimum, some of the players he signed were not long term but players to fill the gaps until he gets the players he needs. He has fixed the defence problems to a certain extent, which is easier than the attack as we have very few good attacking players. So I am sure the board took all his words on board when they signed him and would not be disappointed with the results given what he had told them.

I would think he will be held accountable by the board if he doesn't do what he has told them he would do.

Very difficult to hold someone accountable if you were not privy to the plan that Cleary laid out for the Tigers when he was signed imo.
But very easy to hold someone accountable if your motive is more about Jason Taylor than Ivan Cleary
Its an opinion!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 3:13 pm
Don't ask a Tigers fan - ask anyone else who follows the NRL. The overall impression of the Tigers this season is much higher
Correct, and end of discussion.

Well said.
Its an opinion!

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:35 pm

Harvey wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 12:57 pm
hobbo wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:51 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:31 am
Sooo.just waste the cash paying stop gaps...sound plan..
But .....That’s how we roll at West’s Tigers !
Given the choice of playing experienced players who'd at least been there before, or untested rookies or nsw cup players I don't mind that he went the more experienced route. We're not too far off the top 8 which is a great effort all things considered.

That we're disappointed not to be in the 8 given the squad we have is a sign of how well we've done.

We've improved a lot, and while i wouldn't call the season a success it's been a huge improvement on and off the field.
Been where? No premiership winners or consistent finalists amongst the signings.

The biggest issue is the length of time that the players were signed for. I will include Mbye in that statement as well.

Our best signings have been the risks that we took on short term deals like Thompson and Fonua.

May have been better paying overs for a gun on a shorter deal. We either improve and they stay or they cash in and leave.

I am concerned about the number of gun players that have moved or re-signed that we have not made a play for.
How do you know who we made a play for and the ones we didn't?

Because it wasn't mentioned on the Forum?