Re: Live game thread v Knights, *spoilers*

Post by WT2K » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:53 pm

Was mck's 50th nrl game.
No more plodders!
:sign:

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 12:45 am

A good win in the end.
Some poor refereeing, especially missing forward passes and the usual ‘nothing’ penalties.
We were better than the final score indicated ... and a long way off the refs looking at us favourably.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:26 am

formerguest wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:50 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:27 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:48 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:40 pm

Ummm we got four penalties right in front of the sticks for eight points in that match tonight and you guys are still whinging about the refs? :brick:
Three of those were In the first half. when it was even, and only the last was in the second half when we were looking dangerous to score a try.

I just want to see our team compete, I invest so much into our team, I have for years, and the notion that it may not be a level playing field is hard to take. It was a very good win, solid, against adversity, some things just occur too often to be coincidental.
And the last one put the game out of reach. If Liddle doesn’t score Newcastle could run down the field and score and have a shot at a field goal to tie the game in the next set. The penalty allowed the clock to run down and us to get an unassailable lead.
But the whistle should not have been blown until our advantage was exhausted, which could well have resulted in a try. Only after the play breaks down is the penalty to be awarded.
I agree and commented the same at the time. Just pointing out that that was a valuable penalty in context of the game and advantageous to us.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:57 am

That game highlight why we always struggle against Newcastle.

They always come to play.

They expect to beat us.

They play tough.

They play for 80 minutes.

We score and easy try or gain a bit of advantage and then clock off. Momentum changes and then its a 50% if we can hold on.

Add the refs liking the battlers thing the Knight have going.

After what happened against the Dogs its safe to say this team has a mentality problem. Going into 2019 we need to learn how to play to a more consistent level week after week no matter who the opposition is.
Its an opinion!

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 10:04 am

I was at the game last night, and I have seen a few knights games this year against other teams like the Gold Coast and bulldogs, and I am prepared to say that we defineitely are not a top 8 side with this squad, and if we come 9th with the cattle we have then we have done well. Especially when you factor in the quality of teams we have beaten. Gus said last night on coverage n every team coming first on the ladder this year.

Still not happy that we cannot step it up in critical games, but maybe my expectation is way too high and we have already over achieved for 2018 as it is.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 10:18 am

cktiger wrote:
Sat 04 Aug, 2018 12:45 am
A good win in the end.
Some poor refereeing, especially missing forward passes and the usual ‘nothing’ penalties.
We were better than the final score indicated ... and a long way off the refs looking at us favourably.
Geez I'm sick of the whinging about the ref bias last night! If anything Newcastle fans should be spewing. As I said above we received four penalties right in front of the sticks for eight points last night - the last one virtually handed us the game! That is a significant advantage for any team! I guess our supporters will always see our team as being the disadvantaged victims of ref bias, no matter how good we have it.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 10:38 am

Penalties ended up pretty even. They got smacked in the first half - however when you kick out on the full twice from the kickoff that leaves no room for discretion - and we got smacked in the second half. Cant complain but makes it easier when you win.

BalmainJnr

Post by BalmainJnr » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:13 am

Ivan said in the press conference that we have received the least 2nd half penalties of any team in the Comp. We often make enough of our own issues in games, but we are also not a team that receives any help.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:35 am

Really hard game to get a good read on , obviously we were carrying 2 players with Marshall and Thompson not 100 % and the first 20 was pretty good

2nd twenty was pretty good , 3rd twenty was tripe and the last 20 OK

I tell Brooks he need to run more , I think he may have overdone it last night

All I will say is this , I'm glad Pearce wasn't fit for the entire 80 minutes

Win is a win though , you don't need to draw a picture , take the two points and move on , save the better performance for a bigger game

Like next week , Canberra in Canberra , wouldn't we love to well and truly bury that hoodoo

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:47 am

So many times I have screamed at our own players (on tv) to get off the guy that I thought we deserved double penalties we received against us. HRH is the main offender.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 04 Aug, 2018 10:18 am
cktiger wrote:
A good win in the end.
Geez I'm sick of the whinging about the ref bias last night! If anything Newcastle fans should be spewing. As I said above we received four penalties right in front of the sticks for eight points last night - the last one virtually handed us the game! That is a significant advantage for any team! I guess our supporters will always see our team as being the disadvantaged victims of ref bias, no matter how good we have it.
It's really not that simple.

The penalty count can be even, we could get a few penalties right in front, but how many didn't they blow. How many tries didn't we score because they kept giving away the penalty to save themselves.

There is a lot more to it and I'm with everyone else we get no favours at all!
Its an opinion!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 12:09 pm

Finishes like this explain why I am due for a third bout of open heart surgery in about 12 months time.

I hate that I love this club.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

barra

Post by barra » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 1:35 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 06 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
cktiger wrote:
A good win in the end.

The penalty count can be even, we could get a few penalties right in front, but how many didn't they blow. How many tries didn't we score because they kept giving away the penalty to save themselves.

I couldn't watch live so was able to watch a reply already knowing the score. With virtually no emotional investment, I agree that Newcastle were only in the game due to refereeing. The leg-ups they got in the ruck WERE really questionable IMO, and certainly not consistent with the rest of the game.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 6:07 pm

barra wrote:
Mon 06 Aug, 2018 1:35 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 06 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
cktiger wrote:
A good win in the end.

I couldn't watch live so was able to watch a reply already knowing the score. With virtually no emotional investment, I agree that Newcastle were only in the game due to refereeing. The leg-ups they got in the ruck WERE really questionable IMO, and certainly not consistent with the rest of the game.
Yep, its not something you can point to a stat and say this and that. Its the general feel of the game.

The refs favoured the Knights.
Last edited by The Patriot on Mon 06 Aug, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its an opinion!

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 6:31 pm

Interesting comment by Ivan about getting less second half penalties than any other team. I'd argue that penalties seem to go the way of the team with momentum, the team that is dominating, and this adds to them keeping the momentum. If we aren't getting second half penalties very often, then it's probably because we are often losing the domination battle in the second half of a lot of our games. Just a thought... it opposes the other one I have, that the NRL have their favourites and most refs blatantly cane us!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 7:38 pm

Our 6 points from penalty e were all legitimate penalties....
They scored 2 tries which really should have been pulled up one mautautia offside where Benji passed to him and the other a blatant forward pass