Dragons hopeful Widdop will be fit for finals

Tiger_Fan18

Dragons hopeful Widdop will be fit for finals

Post by Tiger_Fan18 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

St George Illawarra are hopeful captain Gareth Widdop will be available for the NRL finals after scans on shoulder indicated he did not require season-ending surgery.

There were fears Widdop's season could be over after he dislocated his shoulder in Saturday night's 40-4 loss to Parramatta but the results of initial scans were positive and the Dragons hope he can return in three weeks.

The exact length of time Widdop is sidelined will depend on his rate of progress in the early stage of rehabilitation. Utility Kurt Mann is under consideration to deputise for Widdop at five-eighth in Saturday's match against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval, with Darren Nichols and Jai Field the other options.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor will also name a new captain on Tuesday, with fellow England Test star James Graham in contention, along with Kangaroos second rower Tyson Frizell and hooker Cameron McInnes.

St George Illawara are already without NSW Origin prop Paul Vaughan (ankle/knee) until the play-offs, while New Zealand international Jason Nightingale missed the match against the Eels due a neck injury.

:sign: :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:22 am

I'm hoping the Widdop is fit for Mad Monday

willow

Post by willow » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:16 pm

The Dragons lose a good chunk of their creativity in Widdop, and with Hunt down on confidence the Tigers have a great opportunity to kick the Dragons while they're down. I just hope the Tigers don't show complacency and they can really get out of the blocks quickly at Leichhardt.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 2:31 pm

willow wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:16 pm
The Dragons lose a good chunk of their creativity in Widdop, and with Hunt down on confidence the Tigers have a great opportunity to kick the Dragons while they're down. I just hope the Tigers don't show complacency and they can really get out of the blocks quickly at Leichhardt.
I'm worried..this is a lot different from the normal mauling you predict we will receive..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

yeti

Post by yeti » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm very confident. This close to a finals berth, there won't be any complacency. And the Dragons still have some great players in that team. It'll be tough, but we'll win.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:46 pm

yeti wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:35 pm
I'm very confident. This close to a finals berth, there won't be any complacency. And the Dragons still have some great players in that team. It'll be tough, but we'll win.
Hoping we’ve had that mentality shift. Logic would tell you that’s the way things should unfold, but memories of the team being blown off the park at Leichhardt by the Raiders when playing for a finals chance have me worried.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm

Widdop is a big out for them could lead to a few more loses. However we need to focus on what we are doing and make sure our heads are in the game.