Post by mtd » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:57 am

tigerap wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 8:15 am
mtd wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:37 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:04 pm
Benji probably needs to call it.

Despite how I felt about Farah when he left and came back I'm not too proud to give credit where it is due, he's been good since returning and he would be handy next year if not on stupid money.
Farah is no good to us unless he comes off the bench for 15 minutes a game. He is kicking early and running at the wrong time - back into his old habits.

Marshall is the same. If he's there for depth I can live with it... But neither should start.

problem is both believe they should start......
maybe if its a final season their thoughts on that might change....
could be better for their bodies and allow them to play better footy for the year.
i wouldnt play them in reggies - not every week... rest them more

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:10 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:25 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 8:37 am
gallagher wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:23 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:05 pm
I watched Maggie games when they had a perpetual mortgage on the wooden spoon and they played a vastly superior game than what I witnessed in some parts of games during the middle of this year put on display by the WT FG team. It may not be a provable fact that Farah helped stem the tide but it was exactly the DH position that was poisonous and it improved remarkably when he stepped in. I really didn't care about the eight I just wanted pride for the team so they don't get deported to Perth.
He's played pretty well, but that's not what I'm getting at. I'm having a go at the coach for signing a player for a 9 week spell. It was a panicky move and it isn't paid off. The signing didn't get us into the 8 and doesn't improve the roster for next year.
The positives far outweigh any of your negatives.

We have had massive support with a couple of sell out games etc.

Overall it's been a masterstroke for the club.

It can only be agenda or favoritism stopping people seeing that.
One sellout at a small ground. Wow what a masterstroke.
I was talking to Fade to Black about fans accepting the club being just happy to make up the numbers and heres an example.

We miss the 8 yet again but who cares LO got a good crowd.
Amazing.
Lol I'm the last person to accept mediocrity.

As for the one small ground sell out. Pointless me trying to argue that. It would be easy to mind you but totally pointless and a further waste of my time.
Its an opinion!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

Glennb wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:29 am
gallagher wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 8:54 pm
Glennb wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:56 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:55 am

Our season WAS over a month ago. Youre a dreamer if you thought otherwise. Signing Farah didnt get us into the 8 and has not helped prep for 2019 either. It was just feel good nonsense. Cleary should have gone after a hooker with one eye on 2019.
At 5:30 yesterday we were still in the hunt for the 8. If we won that game we were 2points out of the 8 with 2 to play.

If Farah didnt come over, we would not have been in that position. You have a bit of a common agenda in your posts but facts are facts.
Farah getting us into that position is an opinion. Not a fact. Just like me thinking we had no chance of making the 8.
What's my common agenda? Being sick of the club plodding through season after season?
If you cant genuinely see the improvement in this club and this team over the last 18 months, then there is no point discussing this further. On and off the field, the Tigers have made huge improvements and seem to be heading in the right direction. It was never going to happen in one season.

To get back to the topic of Farah (THIS YEAR), after watching Jason Taylor wheel out Jordan Rankin or Kyle Lovett week after week after week with no hope of improvement, it has been very refreshing to have a coach who has acted swiftly when he sees something that needs addressing. "Plodding through the season" would have been blindly continuing on with Godinet & ET at dummy half but IC saw an opportunity to strengthen the team and took it by grabbing Farah for this year. it was not the easy option, remember Go & Pascoe were the ones who gave Robbie written notices back in 2016, but everyone got out of their own way for the good of the team. If you cant see that Farah strengthened the team in that period then there is not much more we can discuss.

Having said that, its a NO from me for Robbie next year.
I see no differences between 2016 and 2018.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:23 am

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:10 am
gallagher wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
gallagher wrote:

He's played pretty well, but that's not what I'm getting at. I'm having a go at the coach for signing a player for a 9 week spell. It was a panicky move and it isn't paid off. The signing didn't get us into the 8 and doesn't improve the roster for next year.

I was talking to Fade to Black about fans accepting the club being just happy to make up the numbers and heres an example.

Amazing.

As for the one small ground sell out. Pointless me trying to argue that. It would be easy to mind you but totally pointless and a further waste of my time.
Lol. You give up as easy as our team

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:03 am

Whilst Reynolds is on our books, Benji is a back-up at best, and not a very reliable back-up at that. He was good for half a dozen games this year, more than that was too much. We need a better more consistent back-up, and I'm hoping we recall Drinkwater from SL.

Why is Liddle still only playing 15/20 minutes a game in FG? What's the reason IC is giving him such limited time? Fitness? Strength? Injury? Ability? The answer to that is tied in with why Robbie is being used and was offered another contract.

I can't see us making the finals with Benji and Robbie playing more than half a dozen games each next season. I would them both in PR roles, or water-bottle roles like Alfie Langer.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:10 am

I honestly don't think the OP is well thought-out, and I'm always hesitant to post any comments regarding long-term plans in the aftermath of a critical loss.

The reason I say this is because we have filled about 23-24 (?) of our 30 spots for 2019 without Farah and Marshall, and our backup options for 2019 in those two positions are nadda and nobody. We have insufficient depth and insufficient experience in our roster in the spine right now.

A comment was made earlier that Benji doesn't want to play second-fiddle, but he signed with Tigers 2018 knowing precisely that was the role offered. You make it clear they have plenty to offer but also the best talent plays first.

Without Benji and Farah I don't think we get to 11 wins. Any judge of footy will tell you Benji was a good pickup this year, doubly-so with Reynolds being injured. Farah also solved the DH issue we had in our mid-year dip. Benji has played in all 11 wins of his 19 matches and the 3 he missed we lost. Farah has 4 wins from his 7 games. Hardly terrible results.

1 year deals for both.

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:17 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:21 am
Glennb wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:

At 5:30 yesterday we were still in the hunt for the 8. If we won that game we were 2points out of the 8 with 2 to play.

If Farah didnt come over, we would not have been in that position. You have a bit of a common agenda in your posts but facts are facts.
Farah getting us into that position is an opinion. Not a fact. Just like me thinking we had no chance of making the 8.
What's my common agenda? Being sick of the club plodding through season after season?
If you cant genuinely see the improvement in this club and this team over the last 18 months, then there is no point discussing this further. On and off the field, the Tigers have made huge improvements and seem to be heading in the right direction. It was never going to happen in one season.

To get back to the topic of Farah (THIS YEAR), after watching Jason Taylor wheel out Jordan Rankin or Kyle Lovett week after week after week with no hope of improvement, it has been very refreshing to have a coach who has acted swiftly when he sees something that needs addressing. "Plodding through the season" would have been blindly continuing on with Godinet & ET at dummy half but IC saw an opportunity to strengthen the team and took it by grabbing Farah for this year. it was not the easy option, remember Go & Pascoe were the ones who gave Robbie written notices back in 2016, but everyone got out of their own way for the good of the team. If you cant see that Farah strengthened the team in that period then there is not much more we can discuss.

If you see no differences in this club, this team, the football that is being played, the way the team is coached between 2016 and now, I see no point in continuing a conversation here with you. I look forward to your next 20 or 30 posts vaguely rambling about accepting mediocrity without any ideas on how a club and team actually gets from point A to point B when the differences between 2016 & 2018 are what you need to understand as necessary components to climb out of mediocrity. It doesnt happen in a season.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:43 am

Glennb wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:17 am
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:
gallagher wrote:

If you see no differences in this club, this team, the football that is being played, the way the team is coached between 2016 and now, I see no point in continuing a conversation here with you. I look forward to your next 20 or 30 posts vaguely rambling about accepting mediocrity without any ideas on how a club and team actually gets from point A to point B when the differences between 2016 & 2018 are what you need to understand as necessary components to climb out of mediocrity. It doesnt happen in a season.
We've been mediocre for most of our existence. The club isn't improving.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:08 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:11 pm
foreveratiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:04 pm
Snake wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:01 pm
foreveratiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:58 pm

I agree with this , Liddle can start .

Farah will just be a cheap option for us and can play of the bench God forbid if Liddle gets an injury and we play ET at hooker unless we can get Segyaro
If the club ever wants to play finals footy this is not an option , you are not going to carry another hooker on the bench ...times up for Farah he has to move on .
Liddle can't play 80 minutes to great effect .
No doubt the Robbie lovers are going to come after me with a big stick , but the biggest problem with Robbie is the gulf now between his good performances and the today type performances

Robbie won't sign for league minimum or even close and nor should he , he has played well at times this season

We need someone who has self control , that will take control of a game and play smart and simple

Robbie and Benji still lack that
We’ve still have much greater problems than Fara or even Marshall,
We need abouthalf dozen effective players( I’m not talking about signings like Reynolds, LoLo, McQueen. Grant,or the players who can play ok for4 or five good games in them). Probably the only players in our backs that otherclubs would buy would be Mbye, or Mastarsand maybe
Brooks.
Farah is need for next year as we don’t have a clue as to how Liddle will go ,
Despite his fan club.
He hasn’t proved that he can take a season in first grade yet.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:16 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:10 am
gallagher wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Amazing.

Us being able to sell out ANY ground is a good result for us over a long time

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:29 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:21 am
supercoach wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:11 am
Unless they can find someone better they have no choice and at present we have some other positions that need urgent attention. It’s all about getting the right balance
Reynolds over Benji when fit

If we can't find a better back up option than Farah keep him as a back up and back up only

We need to give Liddle every chance to excel or we find ourselves a No 1 hooker asap

Then we sign another prop , back rower , centre and winger who are NRL players , not fringe NRL players
If they can find someone who’d take him, I’d be getting rid of Reynolds before next season , he’s a chance of being another MCQueen . He used to be just a big risk of having Brain explosions, but now he’s an injury risk as well.
It’s not as if he’s got a long way to go in the game, he’s not much chance ofgetting better as a
Player, and his career is not getting longer.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:44 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:43 am
Glennb wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:17 am
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:

We've been mediocre for most of our existence. The club isn't improving.
I'm with Glennb on this one.

I think the team has improved since Cleary took over and for once we are a defensive unit rather than a leaky sieve. Unfortunately that emphasis has killed the attack, and we don't seem to be able to figure out how to do both. But we've been an attacking-based side for about 15 years so I look forward to a few years of being miserly and grinding out wins.

If you only go by where we finish on the table, or # wins, then no we haven't improved so much in 7 years. But as Glennb notes, that single-minded thought process is black and white when the reality of footy is grey. We win 1 more game and it's the most wins since 2011. But yes, Jason Taylor got the team to 11 wins and 9th overall in 2016, so these are small steps forward.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:56 pm

The attack is stuffed because we have the slowest and smallest backline in the NRL. No power no speed

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:04 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:56 pm
The attack is stuffed because we have the slowest and smallest backline in the NRL. No power no speed
And at times notorious ball fumblers near the try line
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm

gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:

Not a whole lot of difference in results.

Frustrating thing was In 2016 we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses and Addo Carr. Some genuine strike players - 3 Origin players now.

If we had some of those players in 2018 things might be on the up.

I think we have played pretty tough this year without great cattle. Thought we made some dubious signings but what else was out there.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:05 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Frustrating thing was In 2016 we had Tedesco, Woods, Moses and Addo Carr. Some genuine strike players - 3 Origin players now.

I think we have played pretty tough this year without great cattle. Thought we made some dubious signings but what else was out there.
Agree Eddie - what else was out there.

We got the best that was there and wanted to come here.

Hopefully when they announce the new signings for 2019 we will have improved the quality. However once again you can only get what is there and want to become Tigers.

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:09 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:12 pm
Marshall always seems in the thick of things and having a go in defence and attack. Farah is more consistent than Brooks in many departments. It has absolutely nothing to do with Farah the dropped balls yesterday. Surely the club doctor decides on Liddle but the same guy may have already erred on the same topic. The coach who got them through wins over top teams deserves to be given the call.
Farah was terrible on the weekend. Marshall wasn't far behind him. These guys are the guys we need to replace if we are to improve next season.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:45 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:05 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm
gallagher wrote:
Glennb wrote:

Agree Eddie - what else was out there.

We got the best that was there and wanted to come here.

Hopefully when they announce the new signings for 2019 we will have improved the quality. However once again you can only get what is there and want to become Tigers.
That's my problem with the club Russell. We aren't doing enough to make the club a desirable destination. We're just plodding along doing the same old thing.
Since Pascoe said he wasn't prepared to let another season slide....
That season slid off the edge of the planet
Two origin players left
And the next season slid away aswell with 2 wins out of 11 in the middle of the season.

Nothing is getting better.