Packerlino

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Packerlino

Post by formerguest » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:20 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:21 am
When Packer and Matulino both played we conceded an average of 14.76 points per game when one of them was absent we conceded 27.6 points per game

That isn't a fluke

If we had the same points conceded in those 5 games they didn't both play we would have the best defence in the NRL instead of 3rd best.
Thanks for the indisputable facts, though I cannot understand how anyone saw otherwise, unless of course they are commenting without actually watching. They have a role and are fulfilling it, covering a wider area as a pair of 'A' defenders than any of their peers.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:21 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 8:55 am
weststigerman wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:39 am
Our problem is when they’re on the bench, not when they’re on the field.

We need more big bodies to support them.
Our problem is having them as a front row pair, they're rubbish!!

All Matulino is worried about is finding his knees and elbows, watch how easily he's brought down sometimes when it looks like he could charge through and maybe get an offload away, all they do is tap a leg and he goes down because he was already in the motion of finding the ground before they even touched him.
If he'd actually run hard with intent to bust the line and offload he'd be a handful, look at the size of him.

Don't give me this rubbish that he's trained to play that way either, what coach wouldn't want a dominating prop that busts defenses apart and pops offloads?

Why would you coach a unit like Matulino to drop onto his front at the slightest contact just to get quick ptbs?

He doesn't use his size and skill at all
Maybe we should ask Jim Dymock to give him a spray.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 2:03 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:20 am
Boonboon2 wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:21 am
When Packer and Matulino both played we conceded an average of 14.76 points per game when one of them was absent we conceded 27.6 points per game

That isn't a fluke

If we had the same points conceded in those 5 games they didn't both play we would have the best defence in the NRL instead of 3rd best.
Good analysis thanks.

I pretty much agree with you, that some folks only seem to judge front rowers by the output in metres. But then Aaron Woods got 150m per game, he wasn't good enough because he walked backwards in tackles. Dylan Napa rarely runs for 100m in any match and yet he gets picked for QLD.

I don't think Packerlino are the issue, I think the issue is that the prop rotation after them is made up of Twal or Sue or Grant. We start and finish most games fairly well, and that coincides with Packerlino being on the field.

The main issue we have for 2018 is the lack of execution when we have the ball. We have had many dominant periods of matches that were earned through our own good play and handling, but we let ourselves down by not executing that weight of possession. Most of our wins and close losses consist of holding on dearly or grimly chasing points in the last 10 minutes because we don't convert enough of our possession into points.

I put the blame on that with the lack of hard-running edge options and too much sideways play. Chris Lawrence is the only bloke in the team who knows how to run a strong line into a hole, and he scored off it on the weekend. But there is nobody else. Every other successful team has both edge weapons and backrow options in attack, but we basically only have Marsters and Rowdy, and they play opposite sides.
Both of you are on the money in my opinion.