Changes to forward pack as Wests Tigers seek crucial win

Tiger_Fan18

Changes to forward pack as Wests Tigers seek crucial win

Post by Tiger_Fan18 » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:59 pm

Wests Tigers Coach Ivan Cleary has made a change to his side's forward pack as they seek a crucial victory this Thursday against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

Kickoff for the match is at 7:50pm AEST from Campbelltown Sports Stadium, with Wests Tigers needing to secure a victory to close the gap to the Brisbane Broncos and New Zealand Warriors in the top eight.

After a disappointing last start defeat to the St. George-Illawarra Dragons, Cleary has made one key change to his side with co-captain Elijah Taylor ruled out with a corked thigh picked up last weekend.

His omission sees Matt Eisenhuth move to the run-on side at lock with Chris Lawrence and Michael Chee Kam featuring on the edges, while Josh Aloiai returns to the side for the first time since Round 19.

The talented young forward made a successful return from a broken hand in the club's Intrust Super Premiership side over the weekend, and his inclusion is certainly a boost for the home side as they look to stay in touch with the top eight and secure their first victory at Campbelltown Sports Stadium this year.

Jacob Liddle, Robbie Rochow, Tyson Gamble and Malakai Watene-Zelezniak have been named as reserves, while Chris Lawrence will formally co-captain the team on Thursday night.

For the Sea Eagles, Coach Trent Barrett has named a relatively unchanged side from the one that went down at home to the Gold Coast Titans on Friday night with Jack Gosiewski replacing Frank Winterstein on the bench in the only change, with Winterstein dropping back to the reserves list.

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Mahe Fonua
5. Kevin Naiqama
6. Benji Marshall
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence (capt.)
12. Michael Chee Kam
13. Matt Eisenhuth

Interchange:
14. Alex Twal
15. Sauaso Sue
16. Luke Garner
17. Josh Aloiai

Reserves:
18. Jacob Liddle
19. Robbie Rochow
20. Tyson Gamble
21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 1:26 pm

Good to see Twal back.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:47 pm

Eiso is not a first grader ultimate plodder and a liability. Seriously we lose games because of thee types of players Rochow, Eiso, McQueen. MCK can play well at times but our back row is poor. Lawrence is the only player that is consistent performer ET is bad some days. It’s a glaring weakness as is left centre.
Go wide and we will buckle.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 9:09 pm

Predicting MCK will have a blinder against his old club.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 10:03 pm

I thought Eisenhuth was good last week; he played long minutes and his defence in the middle was good. I don't know what to think about his running style, it may be that he only has one speed but I'd like to see the coaching staff getting him to run with some real intent; with his size he'd be almost unstoppable.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 11:26 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 22 Aug, 2018 9:09 pm
He needs to after last week.
Need more props.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 6:28 am

oldprop wrote:
Wed 22 Aug, 2018 11:26 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
He played 5 games for em.

How'd he go against his other old club - the Canberra raiders?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 6:29 am

TYGA wrote:
Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:47 pm
Eiso is not a first grader ultimate plodder and a liability. Seriously we lose games because of thee types of players Rochow, Eiso, McQueen. MCK can play well at times but our back row is poor. Lawrence is the only player that is consistent performer ET is bad some days. It’s a glaring weakness as is left centre.
Sad truth.
#Unbeatable

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 7:41 am

Demps wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 6:28 am
oldprop wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

Aside from last week he's been one of our best players this season, doesn't warrant the constant criticism.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 7:49 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 7:41 am
Demps wrote:
oldprop wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

Aside from last week he's been one of our best players this season, doesn't warrant the constant criticism.
Point out the criticism?
#Unbeatable

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 8:17 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Demps wrote:
oldprop wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

Best players this season? He has got better as the season wore on but he's been everything but consistent all year.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 8:35 am

sideline eye wrote:
Wed 22 Aug, 2018 10:03 pm
I thought Eisenhuth was good last week; he played long minutes and his defence in the middle was good. I don't know what to think about his running style, it may be that he only has one speed but I'd like to see the coaching staff getting him to run with some real intent; with his size he'd be almost unstoppable.
Not sure what it is - just ambles to the line instead of hitting with a charge. Think it is that he is more an offloader but probably told not to offload that often.

Whatever it is - it needs to be fixed before next season.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 11:19 am

Demps wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 7:49 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Demps wrote:
oldprop wrote:

Point out the criticism?
There are heaps of posts/threads on here criticising him - open your eyes. Some warranted, but most not.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 8:35 am
sideline eye wrote:
Wed 22 Aug, 2018 10:03 pm
Not sure what it is - just ambles to the line instead of hitting with a charge. Think it is that he is more an offloader but probably told not to offload that often.

Whatever it is - it needs to be fixed before next season.
At his size you would love to see him push his big frame through the line a bit and then use those long arms to offload. He seems made for that playing style but I can't understand why we don't see it. A little more power and intent when he hits it up perhaps. Also he surrenders in the tackle so easily that he rarely gets a quick ptb either. We were a far better team when we generated some second phase ball - I noted in a post a while back, during that middle part of the season, that as a team we had not been getting the offloads away to the same extent that we had earlier. Breaking up the defensive structures of the good teams requires some adlib, unstructured plays that offloads create.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 1:16 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 11:19 am
Demps wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
Demps wrote:

Point out the criticism?
There are heaps of posts/threads on here criticising him - open your eyes. Some warranted, but most not.
I thought you were implying it was me.

Anyway freedom of speech.
#Unbeatable

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 3:34 pm

TYGA wrote:
100% spot on
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 3:35 pm

Demps wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 1:16 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 11:19 am
Demps wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

Point out the criticism?
I thought you were implying it was me.

Anyway freedom of speech.
Nah mate just from supporters in general. All good 👍

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 4:04 pm

shane2801 wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 3:34 pm
TYGA wrote:
100% spot on
Agree, but I couldn't call Lawrence consistent. He is in all respects except his ball handling - I swear he's less than a 50% chance of hanging onto the ball, running into it at speed (as you do when running lines trying to break through the oppositions defence). Far from a bad player, but this destroys all momentum in attack and wastes his ability to run good lines and break through defence - no point getting through if you didn't take the ball with you.