What a mismatch

WT2K

Re: What a mismatch

Post by WT2K » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:38 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:28 pm
Some of our forwards runs were pathetically soft, and some defensive displays were downright embarrassing, there was no desire, no pride in the jumper or self...I saw them walk back to halfway after one of Souths tries, beaten before full time heads down, shoulders slumped, no talk...theyd given up, there was effort from some but less than 100% from many....some players season was over before fulltime tonite very very disappointing...youre lying to yourself thinking otherwise
Good summary, Ink.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:47 pm

We beat this team easily not so long ago. They're not unbeatable. Our effort and execution was woeful tonight. There are a few players just not up to it in one or both of those categories.

That said we went 12-12 for the season and one of our most expensive players hardly made it on the field. Realistically we're a couple of forwards and a back off being a top 6 team. Fonua looked like he'd OD'd on red cordial. Kev started okay then fell into a heap. Sue, Aloiai, Marsters, Fonua and others missed basic tackles often in embarrassing ways. Short kick offs were often grabbers softly kicked straight at the opposition. We had at least 4 cracks and got none back really. Even the one that sort of came off was from a tap off that went forward and then was thrown away.

Taps all night consisted of outside backs going half pace towards their forwards and getting pushed back big distances. There was no platform and when we got somewhere there'd be a basic handling error.

It's hard to think how we could have been worse. I guess they could have hit 60...

Demps

Post by Demps » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:52 am

magpiecol wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:24 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:58 pm
willow wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:58 pm
Cheffo wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:57 pm

Rubbish! Plenty of effort. Just not good enough!
You're kidding if you think we had a go tonight.
I think we had a go but we played dumb football against a pack of monsters. We needed to run those big forwards around with short passing around the ruck but instead we tried to match the them in the muscle department; result, we were overpowered and had 50 put on us. Given our lack of possession we, predictably, had nothing to offer in the final 20 minutes. The other thing that was obvious was that Souths were wanting to make a big statement ahead of the finals and they did.

They had a go tonight. However, when you have three teammates who were directly responsible for souths running in four tries, hopeless referees, shocking, shocking ball control and about thirty percent of the ball, the result is not surprising.

I have been banging on all season that the three players concerned should never be anywhere near the first grade team. Tonight I was proven to be correct.

Two of the three are with us next year. I seriously doubt they are even competent enough for reserves.

:bash :bash
Name and shame.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Tigerheart_returns

Post by Tigerheart_returns » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:18 am

I think that try right on half time pretty much killed it for us. We would still have been on the game, if it hadn't been for some ordinary defence, at that point and thereon.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:29 am

To be brutally honest i am relieved that the disgraceful performance was the last game of the season so that management and players can think long and hard about their capitulation on the field.It is an old cliche that your last performance is what you remember most(including us supporters).
The players have to live with that shameful effort for a long time some blokes tried hard some put up the white flag.There is not a single player that is leaving at the end of the season that is worth keeping(sue would be closest) hopefully mcqueen and godinet follow them they also are deadful.Ivan do your stuff and sign some blokes who have pride in themselves and give us more starting in the engine room.
Thank god the nuffle starts soon go the Bengals

willow

Post by willow » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:36 am

innsaneink wrote:
Some of our forwards runs were pathetically soft, and some defensive displays were downright embarrassing, there was no desire, no pride in the jumper or self...I saw them walk back to halfway after one of Souths tries, beaten before full time heads down, shoulders slumped, no talk...theyd given up, there was effort from some but less than 100% from many....some players season was over before fulltime tonite very very disappointing...youre lying to yourself thinking otherwise
100% correct Ink.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 8:57 am

There are NO excuses but many reasons (not the same thing).

They were completely dominated by a better team on the night. You cannot do that much defending (because we gave them too much ball, especially on the fifth tackle), over 400 tackles and expect that it won't catch up to you in the last quarter. Their pack was far too big and far to fresh in defence for us to make any ground - Mbye, Kev, Marsters, Fonua and Nofo running the ball from our ten into George / Thomas / Sam Burgess, Crichton, Sutton etc. was never going to work.

We all know we need a few better players (no good of going on about it), it is obvious there are a few more we need to release including two that were just signed, hopefully only for ISP. Fonua has to go, he is a liability (apart from his 200+ metre game at the beginning he has proven he is not an NRL player. Unfortunately Aloiai and Eisenhuth are not coming up to expectations. So we end up with:

1. Mbye
2. Nofaluma
3. Masters
4. -
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10.Matulino
11. Lawrence
12.-
13.Taylor
14.(Clark)
15.Twal
16.-
17.Garner
18.Mikaele
18.Gamble
19.Smith
20.Marshall(Signed)
21.Farah (signed)

There are no other players worth keeping which means we need at least 9 players (should have been 11).

No doubt we will buy a few decent players but it will not be enough, so we will move ahead but.....

Yeah! dream on.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:07 am

Very Disappointing finish, even if we had a top 8 spot to play for i doubt our form would have been different. Im struggling to find any positives
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:35 am

TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:07 am
Very Disappointing finish, even if we had a top 8 spot to play for i doubt our form would have been different. Im struggling to find any positives
maybe we have to merge another time to get facilities, fill the purse and maybe Andrew Forrest for TPAs. Can China sponcer us?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:01 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:35 am
TheDaBoss wrote:
maybe we have to merge another time to get facilities, fill the purse and maybe Andrew Forrest for TPAs. Can China sponcer us?
Perhaps we will win the lotto and get sponsored by North Korea

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:06 am

innsaneink wrote:
Only watched about first 1/2 hour. Saw what was coming. For what its worth it ended up as I expected ..... if Souths showed commitment (and they DID) as a top 4 side side challenging for this years title then :master:

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:08 am

TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:01 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
TheDaBoss wrote:
I think some people on this forum would see a perfect fit and love to see plodder airline like TIGER Air sponsor us. :righton:

wt01

Post by wt01 » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:09 am

Demps wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:52 am
magpiecol wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:24 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:58 pm
willow wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:58 pm

You're kidding if you think we had a go tonight.
I think we had a go but we played dumb football against a pack of monsters. We needed to run those big forwards around with short passing around the ruck but instead we tried to match the them in the muscle department; result, we were overpowered and had 50 put on us. Given our lack of possession we, predictably, had nothing to offer in the final 20 minutes. The other thing that was obvious was that Souths were wanting to make a big statement ahead of the finals and they did.

They had a go tonight. However, when you have three teammates who were directly responsible for souths running in four tries, hopeless referees, shocking, shocking ball control and about thirty percent of the ball, the result is not surprising.

I have been banging on all season that the three players concerned should never be anywhere near the first grade team. Tonight I was proven to be correct.

Two of the three are with us next year. I seriously doubt they are even competent enough for reserves.

:bash :bash
Name and shame.
name them

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:17 am

momo&medo wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:08 am
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:01 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
TheDaBoss wrote:
I think some people on this forum would see a perfect fit and love to see plodder airline like TIGER Air sponsor us. :righton:
boi u r on to something, tiger woods is gonna be our next sponsor along with tiger air

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:50 am

We were competitive until a try from a poor missed tackle at around the thirty minute mark. From that point onwards WT had virtually no possession, yet held on until a Marsters error gifted them even more and a try right on halftime. The ball drought continued for the better part of the second half.

One plus was how well Liddle handled himself during that period. The tackle to stop a rampaging Burgi close to the line was representative of his efforts, even more so considering that he completed it after the head clash with Sue. He also managed a couple of decent runs despite a dominant opposition.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:00 am

innsaneink wrote:
Very true....but what were they playing for? Soldifying 9th position?

Definitely should have enough pride in the jersey to put in a good performance no matter what the situation but last night was always going to be an ass whipping.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:12 am

How embarrassing still 6 hours of work left with 2 souths supporters harping about the game.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:21 am

Roar Power wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:00 am
innsaneink wrote:
Very true....but what were they playing for? Soldifying 9th position?

Definitely should have enough pride in the jersey to put in a good performance no matter what the situation but last night was always going to be an ass whipping.
Nope, thats just a cop out