It is now when Tim Sheens needs to stand up and be counted

Balmain Bug

It is now when Tim Sheens needs to stand up and be counted

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:15 am

It is now, we as Wests Tigers supporters will look to him and demand that he does the right thing.

It is now, that the injuries have hit, that the Fonz has to do the right thing and select and play the right players.

He has signed some average players for season 2010. But now that we have a large injury toll (both off and on the field) The Fonz has to show courage and common sense and pick the right players.

We need the Gun players to be selected in 1st grade. :pray:

Not his favourites.

From what I have seen, Brown, Fitzhenry, Payless and Daniela should not come anywhere near 1st grade in the coming weeks.

If the Fonz picked the right players, we would then do more things that we are capable of, and he would astound himself.

As supporters, All our dreams can come true - if the Fonz has the courage to pursue them. We have scored more points than any other side and with the added inclusion of strike players, this will continue or even increase.

The player to replace Todd Payten is Josh Davis. He is a better player than Todd Payten is right now in his career.

The Fonz has to look at Mataka, Pritchard, Taumata, Lazarus, Davis, Akeripa & Co.

These players are light years ahead in ability than the players he has been picking.

They must be picked, especially Davis.

The Fonz needs to step up to the mark and address the areas in which he has dismally failed in the past and that is selecting players on merit.

He can no longer do the wrong thing by the players, the club, its supporters and its stakeholders. We have won 4 from 5. But now that the injuries have hit, we need to keep it going by picking gun strike players not stunned mullets.

Picking the old faithful when they are past it (Fitzhenry) or picking other clubs discarded 1st graders (Brown & Daniela) is not daring or courageous, it’s downright outrageous. Especially now that the injuries have hit.

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. The Fonz must show courage and be daring in his selections against the Bulldogs.

This is the Fonz’s chance to stand up and be counted and show his gratitude to players who have busted a gut in the lower grades.

This week is the time for the Fonz to stand up and be counted.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:28 am

This criticism coming from a guy who thinks Gallant is a top 3 fullback ;) Mate you accuse Sheens of favouritism and bias (which is true) when you are just as biased when it comes to certain players. I am unable to trust your judgment on Davis given how much you wrap the Mouse (a borderline first grader).

the_scene

Post by the_scene » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:38 am

I think you're being tough on Payten too. Toddy is one of if not our best ruck defender. He makes good solid first up contact and rarely lets the man get past him. He also adds another dimension to our attack with his ability to play before the line and also play down the blind side.

JRD

Post by JRD » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:00 am

Balmain Bug wrote:It is now, we as Wests Tigers supporters will look to him and demand that he does the right thing.

It is now, that the injuries have hit, that the Fonz has to do the right thing and select and play the right players.

He has signed some average players for season 2010. But now that we have a large injury toll (both off and on the field) The Fonz has to show courage and common sense and pick the right players.

We need the Gun players to be selected in 1st grade. :pray:

Not his favourites.

From what I have seen, Brown, Fitzhenry, Payless and Daniela should not come anywhere near 1st grade in the coming weeks.

If the Fonz picked the right players, we would then do more things that we are capable of, and he would astound himself.

As supporters, All our dreams can come true - if the Fonz has the courage to pursue them. We have scored more points than any other side and with the added inclusion of strike players, this will continue or even increase.

The player to replace Todd Payten is Josh Davis. He is a better player than Todd Payten is right now in his career.

The Fonz has to look at Mataka, Pritchard, Taumata, Lazarus, Davis, Akeripa & Co.

These players are light years ahead in ability than the players he has been picking.

They must be picked, especially Davis.

The Fonz needs to step up to the mark and address the areas in which he has dismally failed in the past and that is selecting players on merit.

He can no longer do the wrong thing by the players, the club, its supporters and its stakeholders. We have won 4 from 5. But now that the injuries have hit, we need to keep it going by picking gun strike players not stunned mullets.

Picking the old faithful when they are past it (Fitzhenry) or picking other clubs discarded 1st graders (Brown & Daniela) is not daring or courageous, it’s downright outrageous. Especially now that the injuries have hit.

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. The Fonz must show courage and be daring in his selections against the Bulldogs.

This is the Fonz’s chance to stand up and be counted and show his gratitude to players who have busted a gut in the lower grades.

This week is the time for the Fonz to stand up and be counted.
We have just won 3 in a row you sound like we havent won a game. If these players are such guns as you say they would be in first grade already, all young players need time to develop.
"It is now, we as Wests Tigers supporters will look to him and demand that he does the right thing."What planet are you from,why dont we just sack him now and bring back Lamb will that make you happy?After a loss i feel like shyte all week you must get that feeling after we win do you?

daslacker

Post by daslacker » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:06 am

Hey bug
I agree to a degree.

First i don't think brown has done anything wrong..don't mind him staying on the wing for the moment..though he's not the answer..and see him as a backup option only

Fitzy...well geez ...I don't hate him on the bench at the moment.Just don't like wasting a bench spot.He is not a utility in any sense.If he's used late in the both halves at hooker..say last 8-10mins in the 1st half and last 15 mins in the 2nd half.I think he'd some good value.....useless in the backline...Later in the year hoping taumata will take this role..selecting fitzy as a starting winger last night was hard to fathom...Shows sheens hasn't learnt in regards to fitzy

I agree that just because buy discards from other club..with sheens visions of making them something their not..they should be spending alot more time in state cup prior to be considered for first grade...We SHOULD be promoting players from our lowers before promoting players from other clubs lowers to play first grade for us..recruit them by all means if there is views of value..but they shouldn't be getting preference.

Moors late run wide last really showed what role he would give value..

Like you i'll be interested what sheens does in this current predicament...The way we're playing and or postion on the ladder...I think he can make some educated risks..

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:28 am

daslacker wrote:
Like you i'll be interested what sheens does in this current predicament...The way we're playing and or postion on the ladder...I think he can make some educated risks..

' Educated Risks '

Exactly !!

You summed up my post in two words !!!

:righton:
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Tiges05

Post by Tiges05 » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:01 pm

Albert Kelly has a lot of talent also...that went well when they played Souths didn't it...

All these players that are supposedly better players than seasoned first graders....Rubbish....I look forward to being proved incorrect in 3 years time when they have played a few games of first grade...

And as for educated risks...we know the habit of losing is stronger than the habit of winning...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm

Who plays halfback this week will tell me alot about whether Sheens has learnt from his selection mistakes of previous years.

All I want is a halfback playing half - players in their correct positions.

Blake93

Post by Blake93 » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't have a problem with mitch brown as our starting right side winger. He's going to be replaced as soon as tuiaki comes back so why does it matter if he doesn't have the attacking prowess of other members of our backline
He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

Tigerstripes

Post by Tigerstripes » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:21 pm

Balmain Bug is right.

Sheens continually picks average players and then compounds this by putting them in the wrong positions. Then we all scratch our heads wonder why we don't make the finals every year.

The 1,6,7 & 9 are most important. But equally, other players who are not performing need to be dropped.

Look at it this way - every single player has to 'add' something to the team.

Marshall adds unpredictability and flair. Farah adds control of the ruck and short kicking. Galloway adds size and aggression. Fifita adds the ability to break tackles and offload

What does Brown add? What does Daniela add? What about Cayless?

If we are serious about making the finals, it's time to get serious about team selections.

daslacker

Post by daslacker » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:42 pm

Tiges05 wrote:Albert Kelly has a lot of talent also...that went well when they played Souths didn't it...

All these players that are supposedly better players than seasoned first graders....Rubbish....I look forward to being proved incorrect in 3 years time when they have played a few games of first grade...

And as for educated risks...we know the habit of losing is stronger than the habit of winning...
Hmm I'm not talking wholesale changes not necessary!

Though i think it's a good time to make some educated risk at this time.

Think about it...injuries,our postition on the ladder,our form and the fact we have 2 more games then a bye.Try something in the next 2 games and reassess.

Ridiculous selecting players we've only just recruited just to justify their recruitment.

But thats just my opinion and maybe a few others here.None of which are on the coaching staff.

But you'll probably be right...Sheens will go with your opinion...have a makeshift half in fitzy and premote daniella to the bench...both have played first grade.

cheers,
das

Gobbs

Post by Gobbs » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:51 pm

Here Here Tigerstripes and Bug. Well said. Most on here do not actually have any idea or concept of what talent Wests Tigers have got playing in the NSW Cup. And it's frustrating to see blokes like Davis, Pritchard, Gower, Mataka, Taumata, Akeripa and co. overlooked for the likes of Cayless, Moors, Daniela, Brown and Fitzhenry. I can somewhat understand the financial implications involved in their promotion as it would chew into the salary cap, but this again poses the question, why were these players brought and signed to the club whilst the talent was already present and available, yet have been left to rot away in the NSW Cup? Extremely frustrating. I can only imagine how those players are feeling.
Still the Official #1 Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness Supporter ©

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 1:19 pm

If he is over his injury I would expect to see Jason Schirnack picked ahead of Davis if one of them were to be bought in.

Than again I would honestly like to see Moors tried in the back row first. That is his position and where he is a destructive ball runner. He also fills the void of a possible extra prop in rotation if needed at any stage so would be on my bench. But NOT in place of a genuine prop forward

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 1:32 pm

I still worry about Sheens. Given it took an injury to Lui to get a better balance in our side and get Moltzen out of fullback. I really do worry when he starts using words like "manufacture". Play a halfback at halfback.

I saw Balmain play yesterday and Lazurus go around. It was a very sub standard game, although I think Blake has some talent and has a decent boot on him. I was surprised how slight he looks, could be an issue. There would be no way i would pick him if he was forced to defend on the wing.

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 3:09 pm

Gobbs wrote:Here Here Tigerstripes and Bug. Well said. Most on here do not actually have any idea or concept of what talent Wests Tigers have got playing in the NSW Cup. And it's frustrating to see blokes like Davis, Pritchard, Gower, Mataka, Taumata, Akeripa and co. overlooked for the likes of Cayless, Moors, Daniela, Brown and Fitzhenry. I can somewhat understand the financial implications involved in their promotion as it would chew into the salary cap, but this again poses the question, why were these players brought and signed to the club whilst the talent was already present and available, yet have been left to rot away in the NSW Cup? Extremely frustrating. I can only imagine how those players are feeling.

Lol easy to be armchair critics as usual.

I dont get to see hardly any nsw cup games as i have 3 kids that come before football.You know a LIFE

My question to you guys that keep pushing for as many magpie nsw cup players as they can if these guys are so good then why arent other clubs talent scouts snapping them up for value for money signings.There must be a reason other then how the guys play.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 6:21 pm

Gobbs has been the only one to really consider the underlying reason why some of Sheens' selections are considered biased. The salary cap has to be managed every year - injuries are where every club comes undone in regards to the salary cap. I really need to see who the top 25 players are at the Tigers because, right or wrong, these are the ones that will be played regularly week in, week out. When the injury list becomes too long and others are brought in that is when it will start to affect our cap.

I would like to see a proper halfback get a go this week too. I would prefer Taumata but I will not slander Sheens if he selects somebody else. I think that Lui will be the incumbent halfback when he is fit now that Moltzen is out for the year.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 6:34 pm

cqtiger wrote:Gobbs has been the only one to really consider the underlying reason why some of Sheens' selections are considered biased. The salary cap has to be managed every year - injuries are where every club comes undone in regards to the salary cap. I really need to see who the top 25 players are at the Tigers because, right or wrong, these are the ones that will be played regularly week in, week out. When the injury list becomes too long and others are brought in that is when it will start to affect our cap.

I would like to see a proper halfback get a go this week too. I would prefer Taumata but I will not slander Sheens if he selects somebody else. I think that Lui will be the incumbent halfback when he is fit now that Moltzen is out for the year.
So true, its a long season and to start diving into players outside your top 25 could have dire consequences latter on in the season. Iam not sure how much if any space we have with our salary cap but every player used outside the top 25 has salary cap implications. I would love to see Davis, Pritchard or Gower given a chance but I really think they will keep to the top 25 while they can

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 6:53 pm

Gobbs wrote:Here Here Tigerstripes and Bug. Well said. Most on here do not actually have any idea or concept of what talent Wests Tigers have got playing in the NSW Cup. And it's frustrating to see blokes like Davis, Pritchard, Gower, Mataka, Taumata, Akeripa and co. overlooked for the likes of Cayless, Moors, Daniela, Brown and Fitzhenry. I can somewhat understand the financial implications involved in their promotion as it would chew into the salary cap, but this again poses the question, why were these players brought and signed to the club whilst the talent was already present and available, yet have been left to rot away in the NSW Cup? Extremely frustrating. I can only imagine how those players are feeling.
If Gallant is an example of that "talent" then none deserve a promotion. Gallant's complete inability to tackle players in first grade shows the difference in quality and why I doubt people's perception of our lower graders.

Regardless 95% of posters on here have said that they would prefer to see Pritchard and Davis get a run before daniella, Brown and Fitzy. Accordingly, I am not sure who the "most" is you are referring to.
Last edited by southerntiger on Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.