It is now when Tim Sheens needs to stand up and be counted

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: It is now when Tim Sheens needs to stand up and be counted

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 6:54 pm

tiger4ever wrote: My question to you guys that keep pushing for as many magpie nsw cup players as they can if these guys are so good then why arent other clubs talent scouts snapping them up for value for money signings.There must be a reason other then how the guys play.
I have asked this question many times and never received an adequate answer.


supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6825
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:03 pm

After going out to LO on saturday arvo to see the Balmain side run around and the tail end of the Magpie game, Iam not convinced you draw any conclusions on the ability of any players in that comp.

I know if you put some players in better company they flourish, but really it is light years in standard from FG. In saying that I said the same thing about u20s and Fifita has flourished.

fainty
Member
Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:43 pm

Post by fainty » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:27 pm

We've won 4/5 and now your gonna point the finger at the coach if we lose this game for selection problems??? Sheensy will pck 17 players that can do the job, if those players cannot...it's not his fault! I know sheens will put 110% into the preperation, he only needs his players to come through! If ritzy comes out and scores a hattrick, moors makes 150m, or lapina kaufusi makes a comeback and kicks the sinning feild goal will u be there saying "great coaching, excellent selections"???

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:32 pm

supercoach wrote:After going out to LO on saturday arvo to see the Balmain side run around and the tail end of the Magpie game, Iam not convinced you draw any conclusions on the ability of any players in that comp.

I know if you put some players in better company they flourish, but really it is light years in standard from FG. In saying that I said the same thing about u20s and Fifita has flourished.
This is my concern. That being said, it is not a sufficient excuse to keep knocking back consistent quality.

TheSunTanSuperman
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 2:02 am

Post by TheSunTanSuperman » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 9:49 pm

"The player picked MUST be Davis".

HAHAHAHAHA!!!, Give yourself a bloody uppercut, Bug.


User avatar
Balmain Bug
Member
Member
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:19 pm

TheSunTanSuperman wrote:"The player picked MUST be Davis".

HAHAHAHAHA!!!, Give yourself a bloody uppercut, Bug.

It wont be too effective, I dont have much of a punch on me . . . . . .

why? Do you think Davis is no good? Do you think Brown is better?

The salary cap is not an issue. Fonz said on 2SM we are about $400k under.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

alexaki
Member
Member
Posts: 5017
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

Post by alexaki » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 9:38 am

BB I agree with some of your points..especially Payless...he has been a waste of money so far!!!..and why don't the young guns get a go?? mataka for example??..Fitzy is a waste, Payless is over rated, Moors has shown nothing, Brown is stop gap...so I can live with him, Daniella is sub standard...Flannagan and Lote are the only off season signings to shine.

Mona Lolesi
Member
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:20 am

Post by Mona Lolesi » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:15 am

It's like you expect all 17 players to be match winners!

Mitch Brown has done little wrong. It's unlikely you would blood new talent on away games in Canberra and Nth Qld over someone with NRL experience.

For years and years I have read countless names that are getting "robbed" of their chance to play first grade.
Even when they leave the lower grades they rarely even end up at another club.
At the end of the day, most players get promoted from under 20's than from state cup.
State cup seems to be somewhere you go if you turn up late to training and that's about it.

User avatar
Balmain Bug
Member
Member
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:30 am

Mona Lolesi wrote:It's like you expect all 17 players to be match winners!

Mitch Brown has done little wrong. It's unlikely you would blood new talent on away games in Canberra and Nth Qld over someone with NRL experience.

For years and years I have read countless names that are getting "robbed" of their chance to play first grade.
Even when they leave the lower grades they rarely even end up at another club.
At the end of the day, most players get promoted from under 20's than from state cup.
State cup seems to be somewhere you go if you turn up late to training and that's about it.

Mona Lolesi, I wish to officially declare, that you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Rugby League in NSW.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Knuckles
Member
Member
Posts: 2792
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:11 am

Post by Knuckles » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm

There is a real risk picking lower grade players ...... thats why Tim is reluctant to do it. The standard between State Cup and NRL is like comparing chalk to cheese. I watched Ben Barba playing for C'bury on Sat night. He went well for a while but went missing in action in the last 10 minutes. His coach said he was fatigued and really struggled.

The likes of Lazarus and Akeripa may look good in an otherwise ordinary competition but its another matter entirely that they will be able to handle the step up into NRL. Especially week after week.

TheSunTanSuperman
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 2:02 am

Post by TheSunTanSuperman » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 1:45 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:
TheSunTanSuperman wrote:"The player picked MUST be Davis".

HAHAHAHAHA!!!, Give yourself a bloody uppercut, Bug.

It wont be too effective, I dont have much of a punch on me . . . . . .

why? Do you think Davis is no good? Do you think Brown is better?

The salary cap is not an issue. Fonz said on 2SM we are about $400k under.
What the hell has Brown got to do with it? Your talking about replacing PAYTEN with Davis, remember?

User avatar
Balmain Bug
Member
Member
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 3:24 pm

TheSunTanSuperman wrote:
Balmain Bug wrote:
TheSunTanSuperman wrote:"The player picked MUST be Davis".

HAHAHAHAHA!!!, Give yourself a bloody uppercut, Bug.

It wont be too effective, I dont have much of a punch on me . . . . . .

why? Do you think Davis is no good? Do you think Brown is better?

The salary cap is not an issue. Fonz said on 2SM we are about $400k under.
What the hell has Brown got to do with it? Your talking about replacing PAYTEN with Davis, remember?

Sure,

Alzheimers hasn't kicked in quite yet . . . .
Payten is a back rower right?
He is out injured right?
Davis is now a back rower right?
I can tell you, he is in better form than any back rower from Wests, BRET and NYC.
That is why, with Payten injured, I would like him to be replaced by Davis.

Now if Davis is not in the top 25 it wont matter.

We are $400,000 under the top 25 salary cap.

The only way it is an issue is if WT dont want to spend the extra money of match payments etc.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 3:38 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:
TheSunTanSuperman wrote:[quote="Balmain Bug
It wont be too effective, I dont have much of a punch on me . . . . . .

why? Do you think Davis is no good? Do you think Brown is better?

The salary cap is not an issue. Fonz said on 2SM we are about $400k under.
Sure,

Alzheimers hasn't kicked in quite yet . . . .
Payten is a back rower right?
He is out injured right?
Davis is now a back rower right?
I can tell you, he is in better form than any back rower from Wests, BRET and NYC.
That is why, with Payten injured, I would like him to be replaced by Davis.

Now if Davis is not in the top 25 it wont matter.

We are $400,000 under the top 25 salary cap.

The only way it is an issue is if WT dont want to spend the extra money of match payments etc.
So you are confirming that your question from a couple of posts ago is whether Davis is better than Brown...AS A BACKROWER? No brainer. Brown is a fullback/wing. Seems a strange question though ?

Glenn

Footy Head Goodness
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 2:17 pm

Post by Footy Head Goodness » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 3:44 pm

I agree with the sentiment in your post but not some of your comments. No one on the forum can agree who the 17 should be so how can Sheens get it right in the eyes of everyone. He's made a lot of mistakes in previous selections in my opinion, mainly last year, but he has us winning games and after last weekend i have a little more faith back in Sheens.

Mitch Brown hasnt done a lot wrong. I think people are overly harsh on him. He has potential. He is biggish and fastish so he is okay in my books.

Asking to have Payton outted takes a lot of credibility out of your post. You are barking up the wrong tree there mate. Payton will have a spot in this 17 all year. Especially now that we have lost some creativity in the halves.

Cant agree more regarding Fitzy but bagging him being in the team has been done to death. He shouldnt be there. Everyone knows this. Sheens needs to make this change.

User avatar
Balmain Bug
Member
Member
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 3:52 pm

What I am saying is that positions aside, Davis is a much better player than Brown. You can even put Davis on the wing if you like and he would outplay brown.

Pritchard and Davis have outplayed Daniela and Brown there entire careers.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 3:58 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:What I am saying is that positions aside, Davis is a much better player than Brown. You can even put Davis on the wing if you like and he would outplay brown.

Pritchard and Davis have outplayed Daniela and Brown there entire careers.
Perhaps,but your original argument was to replace Payten and then you question others who would disagree with you who is better Davis or Brown?

Are you suggesting that its between Davis & Brown to replace Payten? I am glad that Sheens picks the teams and not you ;-)

Glenn
Who sees Davis as a centre FWIW

User avatar
Ghostdogg
Member
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by Ghostdogg » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 4:00 pm

I must admit I am scared of what Sheens will do now injuries have hit. Unfortunately I think we will see Fitzhenry named in the 6, 7 or 9 tomorrow.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 4:11 pm

Ghostdogg wrote:I must admit I am scared of what Sheens will do now injuries have hit. Unfortunately I think we will see Fitzhenry named in the 6, 7 or 9 tomorrow.
Quite possibly, followed by three days of speculation of whether its a smoky or not.
Glenn

Post Reply