Lazzo's game

spaceman

Re: Lazzo's game

Post by spaceman » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:33 pm

Really had a bad feeling last week that our chances of a top 8 finish diminished with moltzes injury....... the true fact is we dont have a quality replacement......I dont rate Lui and Lazarus...not up to 1st grade yet......cant see us being any more than nuisance value this year unfortunately

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:40 pm

Gee...I'm glad Lazzo didn't fail to find touch from a penalty...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

BRET

Post by BRET » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:53 pm

lol @ this topic
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that
whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

-Vince Lombardi

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:02 am

BRET wrote:lol @ this topic

yeh...hahaha

:|

I give up.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:04 am

Just listened to the Sheens interview on ABC Grandstand. He says that given the circumstances of tonight's game that he thought Lazo was OK and that he would be all the better for it next week. I guess that means Sheens will give him another run at 7. Also said he was cramping up and that's why he was taken off. Said that was to be expected, given 2 years off and only 4 games in the State Cup. Sounded hopeful that Galloway will be back next week, but said no Lui.

He seemed to put the loss down to the big defensive effort last week and in the first half, and then poor options in attack in the second. Was very 'considered' in his response to questions about the refereeing ie didn't want to cop a fine.

you can listen here: http://www.abc.net.au/sport/rugbyleague/audio/

palms

Post by palms » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:05 am

And yet Lui gets taken to the cleaners and is a year younger and has never played that bad? I'm not judging Lazarus as it was a tough initiation but the hatred and bad wraps Lui receives is put into context when excuses are made for Lazarus. I guess player favouritism is blinded by actual on field performance unfortunately.
'

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:15 am

People need to remember that Moltzen was never blooded as a half. He was blooded as a 5/8 and mostly a centre.

FTR he was not yanked but he had severe cramps in both calves. To be expected in his first game in grade.

The bigggest factor in his performance tonight was the amount of tackling we did. He is an attacking player and yes picking your times is a big thing with NRL footy.

The reality of tonight was that the guys were on a hard turnaround after a tough game in Townsville conditions and were pumped in the first half through reff decisions and their own ball control. Remembering of course that often with physical exhaustion comes mental exhaustion. Even in the warm up we looked slow.

Anyway on to next week but please people actually think back to Moltzens first few games before judging Lazarus too harshly

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:41 am

Not a great game from Blake this week but as everyone has already said the circumstances made it pretty hard for him. My main worry was seeing the size of the guy before the match.. I just cant see for the life of me how he is going to be able to tackle even a large winger in the NRL. Feel bad for the guy but honestly I kind of hope Arana gets a go next week and maybe Blake on the bench..

gaggles

Post by gaggles » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:42 am

i was gunna make a reply 2 these comments but not not worth it but 2 say well done blake lazarus u done everythin that was asked of u n i for 1 am proud of u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:54 am

I am glad he will get another go next week.

TIGS

Post by TIGS » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 3:28 am

Dont judge a player by 1 game! Lazarus did some nice things with limited time with the ball. His dummy and run at one stage of the game was very nice. He also looked exceptionally quick off the mark.

Sure he made a couple of errors, but please put this into perspective before critisizing him -
-He has less than 5 games under his belt since returning from not 1 but TWO knee reconstructions!

-The forward pack was tackling the entire first half which put the entire team on the backfoot the entire game so how do you expect a debutant halfback to do anything without a forward pack giving the proper go forward. (Not to mention 2 of our leading props were on the sidelines in Galloway & Payten)

-Robbie & Benji did some very very poor things and it becomes very easy for so called fans to point the blame at others. (Seriously wtf was with the 1st tackle kick between the 2 of them? Gee they can be selfish players at times!!)

-He not only played halfback, but he slotted in at fullback at stages and played on the wing. Gee whiz, 3 positions in your debut - a lot to think about? Kick returns/Setting up plays/dropping back at end of sets/talking to the players from fullback about positioning and where to be...etc!

-He not only had to contend with the opposition but also his team mates! at stages it looked like robbie was purposely not passing to him.....what about the cutout ball robbie through on the last tackle skipping blake to pass it to ellis? wtf? have some confidence in the young fella!

-And most of all, it was his DEBUT!

Also great tackle on Morris over the sideline! Not a bad tackle for your debut especially seeing fitzy left him stranded to do it by himself!

Well done blake lazarus, us wests tigers fans hope to see more of you, i think everyone should get behind him!!

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 4:09 am

at least i know the depth chart was correct with him being 3rd in line.
i'm not that disappointed in him,couldn't really expect much from someone with so little development and coming off an average state cup game the week before.

for someone with 2 knee recons done he sure has a burst of the mark.
as for his multiple positions in defense,that is what happens when you have to be hidden.that is his weakness,so allowances shouldn't be made for it.

can't wait for lui to come back and hopefully be allowed to do more kicking.
benji is bloody average in the tactical kicking department and is a huge reason why we consistently have to tackle so much.we never get repeat sets to tire the opposition.

tough game for lazo to be blooded in when the dogs brought a semi final type game and the tigers experienced players brought a park footy mentality.

NZTiger

Post by NZTiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 4:25 am

Well said mate, well said. The kid will come back from this...
UNDISCOVERED ROCK RADIO!
http://www.undiscoveredrockradio.com

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:03 am

smeghead wrote:People need to remember that Moltzen was never blooded as a half. He was blooded as a 5/8 and mostly a centre.

FTR he was not yanked but he had severe cramps in both calves. To be expected in his first game in grade.

The bigggest factor in his performance tonight was the amount of tackling we did. He is an attacking player and yes picking your times is a big thing with NRL footy.

The reality of tonight was that the guys were on a hard turnaround after a tough game in Townsville conditions and were pumped in the first half through reff decisions and their own ball control. Remembering of course that often with physical exhaustion comes mental exhaustion. Even in the warm up we looked slow.

Anyway on to next week but please people actually think back to Moltzens first few games before judging Lazarus too harshly

Well said Smeg.....Not the debut that Blake Lazarus expected of himself, but given the situation , I agree with Sheens on his performance.Please be patient with the kid....Christ , he has only had 4 State Cup games in the last 2 years.

How Sheens used his bench rotation is another friggin story

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:25 am

Blake was out there tonight because of injuries to our first and second choice half backs. How many other teams could lose two halfbacks in five weeks and still have someone with Blake's potential to bring in? Everybody expected him to play NRL eventually, probably this year, but due to circumstances beyond anyone's control he has been brought up months earlier than the club wanted. We need to get behind him - he is our half back for the immediate future.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:27 am

I'd stick with him
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 8:28 am

Whats worse having no stand in 1/2 at all or a talented young player on the up .....not the best game .But the Don got a duck in his first apperance give it time I have no hesitation in the belief Lazzo will rise to the top.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 8:36 am

He should stay until Lui is back at least. I'd like to see what he can do when the team isn't making 1000 tackles.

The talk about Taumata coming in next week is rubbish.