Hannant v WHO?

willow

Re: Hannant v WHO?

Post by willow » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 9:57 am

Hannant stung by after-match insult from rival front-rower Gibbs
CHRIS BARRETT
April 17, 2010

BULLDOGS prop Ben Hannant was left fuming last night about a comment directed at him by opposing front-rower Bryce Gibbs as the players shook hands at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Visibly upset at the remark, understood to have been an insult of a personal nature, Hannant faced up to the Tigers prop before the pair was separated by Bulldogs team manager Fred Ciraldo.

Sitting among teammates in a jubilant Canterbury dressing room after their victory, Hannant was the odd man out, clearly still upset by the confrontation which had looked set to worsen.

He would not say what was uttered by Gibbs but the Tigers' hardman's words clearly had the desired effect.

''I'll keep it to myself,'' Hannant said. ''He knows what he said. I don't really want to comment on it at this point in time.''

Asked whether he was upset by what Gibbs had said: Hannant replied: ''It looked that way.''

Gibbs was not in the mood to chat about the incident either, as he sat in the Tigers' room. ''I don't want to say anything. There is no point,'' Gibbs said. Of his subsequent altercation with Ciraldo, he offered: ''He was just trying to push me out of the way, I guess.''

It was not quite the ending Hannant, who made 35 tackles and 17 hit-ups as the Bulldogs' held off the Tigers, had in mind. The final siren that sounded a moment earlier signalled a return to the winner's circle for a club which has stumbled out of the blocks this campaign.

Canterbury coach Kevin Moore was delighted, although he acknowledged his side was far from its best in dismantling a potent opposition.

''Whilst our attitude and defence and effort were great, we are still nowhere near our best,'' Moore said. ''When you spend a few weeks in bad form, your confidence and your cohesion and your teamwork can sort of just fall by the wayside.

''It takes a little bit of time to get it back. Hopefully, next week we're going to improve on that. It was good tonight but we certainly need to go to another level next week and get consistency.

''I haven't been happy for a few weeks with where we're at. Sometimes you just fall into bad form - lack of confidence, lack of troops, all that sort of stuff. We've had to work hard to get it back.''

Bulldogs captain Andrew Ryan, whose tireless performance Moore singled out for mention, said the win would give his side confidence in its defence.

''For us to keep them to four … they've got some quality attacking players in their team, so it was good to just keep them to that,'' Ryan said. ''We'll keep working hard and she's on again next week.''

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:06 am

Religion and race are 'no go' areas fellas.

ALL the players know that. Gibbs is a moron if he went there.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:09 am

Also with Gibbs, why say something POST game.............maybe in the heat of battle a comment that comes out poorly is understandable.

But he's had a go after the final whistle.

Dumb. He just never learns.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:12 am

The flare up was a result of things said in the game. There was apparantly real niggle in the scrums. They were shaking hands and Hannant refused Gibbs handshake and it started from there.

As for religion who cares. It is not one of the things in the no go play book as far as I know.

Race, Disability & Children are the big 3. Other than that harden up. Religion is a choice.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:15 am

Wow...No wonder Gibbs was filthy if Hannant questioned his faith......
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

willow

Post by willow » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:16 am

Canterbury Bulldogs beat Wests Tigers in NRL round six

* By David Beniuk
* April 16, 2010 9:23PM

Tigers v Bulldogs

* Bulldogs 24 Wests Tigers 4

BULLDOGS star Ben Hannant was left deeply upset last night, with Canterbury insiders claiming the Mormon prop was the target of a religious slur from his Tigers opposite Bryce Gibbs.

The pair exchanged heated words immediately after the fulltime siren sounded on Canterbury's desperately needed albeit untidy 24-4 win at the SFS. They had to be separated by Bulldogs team manager Fred Ciraldo, and Gibbs raced up the tunnel before any of the other 33 players even had left the field.

Hannant was too upset to reveal what was said, but Bulldogs staffers told The Daily Telegraph an insult was directed at Hannant's faith.

"We believe it was about Ben's religion and he's very upset," one Canterbury insider who declined to be named said.

"We also think it was happening in the scrums and during the game, not just at fulltime."

When asked about the incident, an emotional Hannant shook his head and replied: "I'll keep it to myself ... he [Gibbs] knows what he said. I don't want to comment on it."

Gibbs refused to comment, but his skipper Robbie Farah who finished the game with his left elbow on ice after a painful first-half blow acknowledged that heated words were exchanged.

"I saw Chris Heighington and Ben Hannant and one of their team managers ... he [Hannant] was running his mouth off," Farah said.

"I grabbed Heighno and got him out of it."

The drama overshadowed Canterbury's return to the winners' list through a renewed attitude and some dreadful handling from the Tigers.

The game was punctuated by so many simple mistakes - Wests failed to find touch with a penalty and committed two shepherds in the first half alone - that the error rate even obscured Farah's one-on-one battle with Bulldogs rake Michael Ennis.

The fact Ennis posted a rare double made him a winner on the scoresheet, but both players would have been capable of much better if either side had not coughed up possession throughout the 80 minutes.

Ennis's first try opened the scoring after a tedious first 35 minutes, and his second in the shadows of fulltime, from a Brett Kimmorley kick, sealed Canterbury's second win of 2010.

After celebrating with gusto on the field, Ennis paid credit to Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore for inspiring the turn-around in attitude that saw Canterbury dominate field position. The fiesty rake also said the senior players had spoken at length during the week about their flat start, ending in a frank discussion on match eve about the need to play as a team rather than individuals.

"He [Moore] was excellent this week, he's a great man manager," Ennis said.

"I don't think he would have been sitting up there in the coach's box thinking he could have done anything more.

"On the day before the game, the senior forwards got together and said we can listen to everyone saying we've got guys out and lose and go to one and five. But we had a good team. We said that we had to rip in."

Moore acknowledged last year's fairytale team had a long way to go before they are treading a path to resemble 2009's yellow-brick road.

"We are nowhere near as good as we can be and our cohesion is out," Moore said. "When you spend a few weeks out of form it can take a while to get back. It all starts with attitude."

Farah suspected he might need scans on his elbow today, but a Tigers official last night told reporters the injury did not look serious and is not expected to sideline him from next weekend's clash against Penrith.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:22 am

Smeg, you are missing the point mate.

Ther facts are that your opinion counts for nothing. The NRL is the only one that counts and they've made it clear religion is a no go zone.

If someone racially taunted Hasem El Masri, it would be front and back page of the news. Gibbs and ALL players know that you can't go there.

You blokes need to stop defending Gibbo just because he's our player. He's going to be in trouble this week for the incident and it's a bad look for our club. Expect him to cop it.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:26 am

How would racially insulting El Masri be even remotely comparable?

To my understanding the NRL has never gone after anyone for a comment on religion.

Whats next? Raking a player over the coals for sledging someones Political leanings?

This has nothing to do with it being one of our players. If he sledged on any of the 3 areas I mentioned above he would have the book thrown at him and rightly so. No question

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:27 am

Did Gibbs say something about it on the field or only had a go at him because Hannant wouldn't shake his hand?

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:31 am

It's going to be great when we play the Bulldogs next time. There's no way the media won't rekindle these flames. I just hope we have Payto, Galloway and an in-form Jason Cayless in the team by then.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:34 am

This raises an interesting point.

What deity can one mock and get away with??

Dawkins would know the answer to this.

I reckon God,Allah,Oprah and Doctor Phil are big no no's.

But you could sledge Buddah,Mr Squiggle and Samantha from bewtiched and it would be ok.

I think Gallop has to make a stand on this.

And where would L-Ron sit in all of this???

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:38 am

Can you have a go at Zeus? Odin?

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:43 am

And I pose another question.

Is the handshake part of OUR religion,and has Hannant slurred Gibbs' religion by not accepting his hand???

Would it compare to not bowing to a Japanese man after he has paid for dinner???

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:44 am

Tigerdave wrote:Can you have a go at Zeus? Odin?
Yep.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:46 am

Bottom line

Religion, like political leaning, is a choice you make. It is fair game.

Harden up

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:48 am

simonthetiger wrote:
Yep.
sweet, so Zeus and co are fair game, but any current religions are a big no? or just the Judeo-Christian ones are untouchable?

You did mention L-Ron before Simon, so is Scientology a no go or is that open slather as well?

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:50 am

smeghead wrote:Bottom line

Religion, like political leaning, is a choice you make. It is fair game.

Harden up
I agree, Hannant and the Dogs need to take a spoonful of cement on this one

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:53 am

Tigerdave wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:
Yep.
sweet, so Zeus and co are fair game, but any current religions are a big no? or just the Judeo-Christian ones are untouchable?

You did mention L-Ron before Simon, so is Scientology a no go or is that open slather as well?
Well if ol Smithy,whacked out on mushies can form his own band of merry men, and its a no go,then L-Rons a no go as well.